Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS3 Problems?

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    back compatibility was already well-known. effects the 360 to a greater extent, afaik

as long as it can play bishi bashi, i'm happy
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Guys, don't be so quick to dis...

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6644

No, I can't tell you the sources, but they ARE very reliable and well placed to know.
    Yes, but the suggestion of retail machines being sold in the described state is complete BS.

The only glitch reports after 4 days are entirely software based, mostly revolving around the machines backwards compatiblity (which is down to the slimline PS3 chip being used to directly run the discs - the software emulation isn't complete yet).

I'll be sure to give you guys the full lowdown as soon as my unit arrives from Japan
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Blademrk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I5
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • onboard Intel Graphics (for now)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell & 20" DELL 2005w
      • Internet:
      • 32mb/sec Sky BB
    I thought PS3's backwards compatibility was supposed to be hardware based?
    Feel Free to add me to your Raptr, XFire, XBL or PSN Friend List
    My Steam Profile - Hexus Steam Community

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
    Yes, but the suggestion of retail machines being sold in the described state is complete BS.
    Why? MS did it with the Xbox 360, they even admitted to it.

I personally think that the PS3 is just a console that has had a very difficult development cycle, on that, because Sony talked about it too soon all the time, always had the machine under public scrutiny.

Now take Ninty, they've never made a statement unless they were sure they could back it up, which is what both MS and Sony should do. Just tell us the facts that you KNOW you can deliver... much better than talking a good talk but walking a tripping shuffle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Why? MS did it with the Xbox 360, they even admitted to it.
    Because none of big gaming forums have reported *any* major hardware defects, only the odd software glitch. Thus the suggestion that there are retail PS3's being sold with major hardware defects is BS - we would have heard the reports of it by now. The reports of faulty 360's were all over the net in a few hours of the system's launch.

It might be that Sony's QA process is stopping faulty units from hitting retail, thus further constraining supply, or it might not be, but I guess we won't find out any time soon.

I personally think that the PS3 is just a console that has had a very difficult development cycle, on that, because Sony talked about it too soon all the time, always had the machine under public scrutiny.
    Which wasn't at all helped by some hardware site's obvious bias against Sony, and the PS3, that's not to say that Sony haven't been perfect - far from it, some of the weird things Ken and Phil have come out with certainly raised a few eyebrows (and fists!).

Rather than saying "lets wait for the hardware and games to arrive before we make a decision" many places have just rubbished anything Sony without ever touching the hardware, which is you know is akin to you reviewing a game you've never played!

TGS had *very* positive feedback from the people lucky enough to go to it, likewise with the PS3 tour venues, but a lot of the gaming press are still hunting for negative things to say, which just seems crazy in my mind.

Now take Ninty, they've never made a statement unless they were sure they could back it up, which is what both MS and Sony should do. Just tell us the facts that you KNOW you can deliver... much better than talking a good talk but walking a tripping shuffle.
    Oh come on, Ninty can be as guilty as everyone else in the arrogance stakes, but the reason they can be so confident about their new systems is because they're not any more radically advanced than their previous incarnation.

Nintendo have innovative games, but a lot are rehashes of games that have been rehashed every few years since the days of the NES.

Nintendo are also as guilty of gimmickry as everyone else has at one point or another - The weird pointless robot thingy with the NES, the PowerGlove for the SNES, the VirtualBoy, The gameboy printer, camera etc, The N64DD, The Touchscreen of the DS (come on - project rub ffs ), 1001 slight variations of the gameboy etc etc

All of them are as bad as each other to some degree

Edit: and as I've just seen, there's going to be a newer improved version of the Wii already! How many times do they want you to buy the same thing?
    Last edited by Stoo; 14-11-2006 at 06:39 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Because none of big gaming forums have reported *any* major hardware defects, only the odd software glitch. Thus the suggestion that there are retail PS3's being sold with major hardware defects is BS - we would have heard the reports of it by now. The reports of faulty 360's were all over the net in a few hours of the system's launch.
    But that's not what true768 said anyway, he said that they had CPU and cooling problems... the latter of which mirrors MS' Xbox 360 glitches, (which were mainly PSU driven).

Further, who has the units right now? Keen Sony-loyal gamers, licensed Sony mags and Sony dedicated websites... One might suspect that they'd be, shall we say, less inclined to report problems? You can be pretty certain a Sony fan who's queued overnight to get one isn't going to start badmouthing his (expensive) purchase.

It might be that Sony's QA process is stopping faulty units from hitting retail, thus further constraining supply, or it might not be, but I guess we won't find out any time soon.
    That's a given. As in the article I linked to earlier, we were informed that failure rates were high. The suggestion from true768 is that Sony are perhaps clearing units through QA that wouldn't normally pass... maybe so. As I said before, MS did it.

Which wasn't at all helped by some hardware site's obvious bias against Sony, and the PS3, that's not to say that Sony haven't been perfect - far from it, some of the weird things Ken and Phil have come out with certainly raised a few eyebrows (and fists!).
    I think you mean "that's not to say Sony have been perfect", Freudian slip?

But back to the subject, the PS3 received lot's of positive coverage on announcement but after delay after delay, changes in a whole range of announcements, features and promises, faith starts to wane... When you realise that you start to take every press release with a generous pinch of salt as it'll probably be changed or removed, you have to wonder...

And let's not forget Ken and his famous "It's expensive, work harder" speech. Nice way to endear your consumer base or those undecided about it.

Rather than saying "lets wait for the hardware and games to arrive before we make a decision" many places have just rubbished anything Sony without ever touching the hardware, which is you know is akin to you reviewing a game you've never played!
    But I have played with it... or I've played with devkits that, until asked the direct question, Sony reps would have had us believe were working PS3s. I've played all the launch titles which, although they were development builds, gave a good impression of what to expect. Resistance: Fall Of Man looks great, probably the PS3's Gears Of War and GT HD also looks stunning. But as a games console it's VERY expensive and Blu-ray, as a format, has some serious issues... such as costing nearly a grand for a standard Blu-ray player!

TGS had *very* positive feedback from the people lucky enough to go to it, likewise with the PS3 tour venues, but a lot of the gaming press are still hunting for negative things to say, which just seems crazy in my mind.
    Hehe, well Sony need to go on a PR offensive then! To be honest, working inside the industry, I can see why lots of press are being negative. You have no idea how many mails and calls I've had unreturned by Sony... hardly the way to get some positive messaging across.

And, for the record, Steven W and I recently discussed our PS3 coverage and we went on a hunt for positive timely news. Sony could've done themselves a favour and talked to me (and many other journos like me).

Oh come on, Ninty can be as guilty as everyone else in the arrogance stakes, but the reason they can be so confident about their new systems is because they're not any more radically advanced than their previous incarnation.
    See above for classic Ken quote. And yes, Ninty can be arrogant at times but have they missed a launch date three times? Have they told you to work harder because their machine is bloody expensive?

Nintendo have innovative games, but a lot are rehashes of games that have been rehashed every few years since the days of the NES.
    GT HD, Madden NFL N07, Sonic, Virtua Tennis 3, Genji 2... all, er, PS3 titles...

Nintendo are also as guilty of gimmickry as everyone else has at one point or another - The weird pointless robot thingy with the NES, the PowerGlove for the SNES, the VirtualBoy, The gameboy printer, camera etc, The N64DD, The Touchscreen of the DS (come on - project rub ffs ), 1001 slight variations of the gameboy etc etc
    Yep, 100% agree that Nintendo are the gimmick kings... but at least these are original gimmicks... Can anyone think of a tilt controller... oh hang on, it's called the MS Sidewinder Freestyle Pro.

All of them are as bad as each other to some degree
    Nah, not the DS. When implemented properly that touchpad is great. Brain Training, Trauma Centre, Ages Of Empires (review on that coming soon).

Edit: and as I've just seen, there's going to be a newer improved version of the Wii already! How many times do they want you to buy the same thing?
    Well, at the Wii's price, I could by the one out in December, the DVD version next year and perhaps even a spare for the bedroom and still have change from the price of a PS3!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    I heard there are already more than 6,000 units sold on ebay Japan which is quite extraordinally.

Thanks
    wow yeah that is quite good
    i see a few reach over £1500 lol

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    But that's not what true768 said anyway, he said that they had CPU and cooling problems... the latter of which mirrors MS' Xbox 360 glitches, (which were mainly PSU driven).
    But they haven't got CPU and cooling problems, and the wording certainly alluded to the fact that they'd started shipping regardless of major problems with the cpu and cooling...

Given that all reports of units out there (even the development/debug units which are the most likely to have glitches) point to the fact that they are running cool and quiet certainly blow one of those myths out of the water.

Further, who has the units right now? Keen Sony-loyal gamers, licensed Sony mags and Sony dedicated websites... One might suspect that they'd be, shall we say, less inclined to report problems? You can be pretty certain a Sony fan who's queued overnight to get one isn't going to start badmouthing his (expensive) purchase.
    You'd be surprised who has the units, a lot of these people have *no* qualms about bashing Sony, and quite a few of them aren't even that interested in the platform, they're there to ebay the units for a quick profit.

The people that have has issues have certainly talked about them, but they cannot fault the hardware so for as they're all software glitches.

That's a given. As in the article I linked to earlier, we were informed that failure rates were high. The suggestion from true768 is that Sony are perhaps clearing units through QA that wouldn't normally pass... maybe so. As I said before, MS did it.
    But so far the facts don't support that rumour, we *would* have heard about it by now, the 360 gamers certainly complained very quickly (and those lucky enough to get them at launch were certainly going to be the most devoted to the platform), I see no reason why the PS3 gamers would be any different?

I think you mean "that's not to say Sony have been perfect", Freudian slip?

But back to the subject, the PS3 received lot's of positive coverage on announcement but after delay after delay, changes in a whole range of announcements, features and promises, faith starts to wane... When you realise that you start to take every press release with a generous pinch of salt as it'll probably be changed or removed, you have to wonder...
    But given that the system is out there and people now have review units. and the reviews *are* coming back as impressive, why is it so hard for people to eat their words? I suppose it's hard to do a u-turn when when you've been overly negative about anything Sony for months on end.

Let's not forget, the PSP was late as hell, comparatively expensive, with constant delays and constrained supplies, but everyone congratulated Sony on a job well done when they finally got their hands on one.

And let's not forget Ken and his famous "It's expensive, work harder" speech. Nice way to endear your consumer base or those undecided about it.
    Yeah, but Ken's a few bananas short of a monkey... or something..

I find it hard to believe that anyone would take him *that* seriously these days

But I have played with it... or I've played with devkits that, until asked the direct question, Sony reps would have had us believe were working PS3s. I've played all the launch titles which, although they were development builds, gave a good impression of what to expect. Resistance: Fall Of Man looks great, probably the PS3's Gears Of War and GT HD also looks stunning. But as a games console it's VERY expensive and Blu-ray, as a format, has some serious issues... such as costing nearly a grand for a standard Blu-ray player!
    Yeah, but we've been there and done that with DVD players, even the "cheap" ones were £400 (circa 1998), with the top of the range ones easily hitting that £700+ (nearer £1000 with inflation) mark, it's been the same for any new technology since the year dot..

The price will eventually reach those of current dvd players, and everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Hehe, well Sony need to go on a PR offensive then! To be honest, working inside the industry, I can see why lots of press are being negative. You have no idea how many mails and calls I've had unreturned by Sony... hardly the way to get some positive messaging across.
    But then again, some of the "journalists" have done that and just launched into a Sony bashing tirade, hunting for another negative comment, so it's not really surprising they're hesitant.

Yes, I know, PR depts should be on top of that all the time, but there you go..

And, for the record, Steven W and I recently discussed our PS3 coverage and we went on a hunt for positive timely news. Sony could've done themselves a favour and talked to me (and many other journos like me).
    Yeah, but do they *really* know you from adam? We know you'll give anything a fair review, cos that's the guy you are, and the sort of site that HEXUS is, but do they?

Again, the PR dept should be on top of that..

See above for classic Ken quote. And yes, Ninty can be arrogant at times but have they missed a launch date three times? Have they told you to work harder because their machine is bloody expensive?
    Again, I'm smelling that the Sony PR machine needs work..

GT HD, Madden NFL N07, Sonic, Virtua Tennis 3, Genji 2... all, er, PS3 titles...
    Yup, and you fancy listing all the xbox 360 rehashes, along with all the other by the numbers sequels across all platforms over the years?

Like I said *every* console has had the same (re)issue for quite some time now, to unfairly single sony out for this would be unfair, which is why I mentioned that Nintendo isn't somehow immune from it, even with their supposed more innovation many people credit them with.

Yep, 100% agree that Nintendo are the gimmick kings... but at least these are original gimmicks... Can anyone think of a tilt controller... oh hang on, it's called the MS Sidewinder Freestyle Pro.
    Come on Nick, that's a cheap shot and you know it.. Sony had the eyetoy which now microsoft are copying, everyone eventually copied nintendo with controller design in some way, shape or form. Hell, it's not like any of the big 3 were the first with analogue control sticks..

The sidewinder sucked, but so far the reports are that the sixaxis works much better. Same concept, different technology, if the sixaxis is a success where the sidewinder was a dismal failure, can it really be looked down on so harshly?

Nah, not the DS. When implemented properly that touchpad is great. Brain Training, Trauma Centre, Ages Of Empires (review on that coming soon).
    Yeah, but it certainly took a while for anything to come along that made any worthwhile use out of it

Well, at the Wii's price, I could by the one out in December, the DVD version next year and perhaps even a spare for the bedroom and still have change from the price of a PS3!
    3 x 180? You're a DSLite over-budget my friend

I could well pick up a Wii early next year for the sheer hell of it, but I might wait for a price drop first

Cor, I needed this banter after the day at work I've had
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • magneticman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3x2gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB F1 + 2TB F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V2110
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    let it aaaaall out guys

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    hehe

There could be some truth in the rumour about having issues, but it looks like Sony aren't letting them hit retail..

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=39310&page=2

According to the guy there, NA's shipment pretty much just got cut in half..

I'll keep an eye on it and see where it goes..

BTW, it's looking like all PS3's will have 100-240v switching power supplies, the Japanese units all have CE marked 100-240v 50~60Hz auto-switching power supplies (despite the markings on the label), there goes another of the reasons for the import blocking..
    Last edited by Stoo; 14-11-2006 at 09:56 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Follow the yellow brick road...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=128882&page=4

more specifically:

I called a friend who works at Best Buy in Missisauga Ontario. He says they are getting 13. And that they received a letter from Sony stating that the total launch numbers will be 280,000 in NA.
    That's not looking good...

Edit: looks like confirmation:

Just got back from my local Best Buy and the manager informed everyone they would be receiving only 10 PS3's and that in total, based on a letter he received(apparently the same one mentined above), only 280K PS3s are to be shipped for launch.
    Last edited by Stoo; 14-11-2006 at 10:43 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • magneticman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3x2gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
      • Storage: