Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 vs Wii - My first impressions

Registered+
    Thanks
    Please don't insult other members - Stoo
    Last edited by Stoo; 30-11-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlCapacino View Post
    but I thought you guys got your fix out of my contribution and then flaming me

especially greektony, he's my biggest fan! (hi there buddy)

you know there's a very fine line between trolling and a contributive post... at least according to the home-made definition by some hexus users... I urge you to look up the other unofficial meaning... some won't survive in other places due to being so touchy about the whole thing I can assure you of that much. But I didn't know it would hurt so bad to see some smashed electronics... don't watch topgear car lovers!
    I urge you to listen to what you're being told.

The smashmyPS3 pictures have nothing to do with this topic, nor did your little ditty, hence you were trolling for comments.

Stop it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Never try, never fail!
    Thanks
    al, the gamespot system wars forums seem to be more your style mate. They are always having the type of battles that you seem to like, worth giving them a try as it seems more your scene

Registered+
    Thanks
    The problem with the ps3 is the xbox360! I'ts cheaper and just as powerfull (in realworld gaming terms when you take into account programing overheads etc etc) plus it's got a great line up of games - the new rainbow six looks pretty tasty.

I'ts inherenty easier to program on as well as a lot a developers for the ps3 are finding out.

Unless you really want a blu-ray player or have an uncle that works for sony I don't think theres much point.

The Wii on the otherhand, while very appealing, is too expensive for what it is. I'ts launching at £180 when the x360 can be had for £200?! That doesn't suppourt nintendo's "second console" model as it's almost as expensive as the 360. I reckon if you really want one to hold out ill after christmas. I suspect it's gonna drop to about £120 - £150ish pretty soon.

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line
    It's nice to see the Science museum has a good exhibition on at the moment, since the last one i went to was the LOTR one - very good - so an exhibit on video games should be fantastic.

While i feel most of what's been said here has been brought up many a time, it's nice to keep reinforcing it with a week to the release date! Sadly i'm poor.. but we can all dream.

At least i can afford a ticket to London to go and see it

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
    The problem with the ps3 is the xbox360! I'ts cheaper and just as powerfull
    Its cheaper if you ignore the Blu-Ray playback of the PS3. A 360 with the HD-DVD drive is £410, PS3 is probably going to be £425.

plus it's got a great line up of games - the new rainbow six looks pretty tasty.
    Its got some great games, not many real AAA titles though is there? More than the PS3 of course, but you only need enough to be going on with till the next batch of titles is released.

The Wii on the otherhand, while very appealing, is too expensive for what it is. I'ts launching at £180 when the x360 can be had for £200?! That doesn't suppourt nintendo's "second console" model as it's almost as expensive as the 360. I reckon if you really want one to hold out ill after christmas. I suspect it's gonna drop to about £120 - £150ish pretty soon.
    The 360 is £280 if you want the Premium, which everybody gets anyway, so its not really almost as expensive. How many great games already out for the Wii? 2. Zelda and Monkey Ball. Like the PS3, you just need enough to be going on with.

Never try, never fail!
    Thanks
    stewart on one hand you say that there isnt many aaa titles for the 360, but with the others you say there is enough to be getting on with. Surely taht applies to the 360 as well?

Also the core 360 is a fairer comparison to the wii imo.

Do i get the impression you arent much of an xbox fan (not sure or anything as i dont remember too many of your posts, just get the impression from this one for some reason)

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor
    @ £180 and the fact that the Wii isnt specced up to port the games that come out for the 360 / PS3 plus the fact its v. much a console for when the mates come round (dont get me wrong its brilliant singleplayer but just gets so much better with a friend) I see it as a second console. Even if you buy both and use the Wii 90% of the time and the 360 10% of the time you still have the option to play more or less anything out there

Never try, never fail!
    Thanks
    thats how i see it too, i will hold off for a bit though, i have been burned on the n64 and the gamecube so as much as i love certain nintendo titles i want to make sure its getting a wider support range. Also buying 3 extra nunchuks isnt going to be cheap either

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyUK View Post
    stewart on one hand you say that there isnt many aaa titles for the 360, but with the others you say there is enough to be getting on with. Surely taht applies to the 360 as well?
    Yeah, plenty of decent games on the 360, just not that many must own titles, not when you consider the 360 has had a year headstart on the competition. More than enough to be getting on with on the 360 of course.

Do i get the impression you arent much of an xbox fan (not sure or anything as i dont remember too many of your posts, just get the impression from this one for some reason)
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=92621

My opinions on the 360, apparently my opinions are now news. I was accused of being biased in favour of the 360 in that thread, now I'm asked if I don't like it. What are you like?

I had a 360, I enjoyed it. Great little machine.
    Last edited by Stewart; 03-12-2006 at 05:34 AM.

Never try, never fail!
    Thanks
    i didnt accuse you of bias

just goes to show, no matter what you do, you can never keep everone happy

Thanks
    The thing with the Wii is that rumour has it that Nintendo originally planned to launch over here at £150, but retailers wanted a higher price point. I've had been more tempted at £150, and probably would have decided to get one at the £120-ish price point available in some locations. But £180 for it is too much - especially when they're aiming at casual gamers and non-games. So until the price drops, I think I'll give it a miss, especially since I'll have a chance to play on one a bit as my brothers getting one.
    I'm sure the Wii will do very well, and that the Playstation 3 will get past its problems, but both are in the same situation that the 360 was in a year ago - that of having not enough worthwhile launch titles. The Wii doesn't need as much justification as it's rather cheaper, but the Playstation 3 needs to get some more quality titles in place before the UK launch, IMHO.
    -----------------------------------------------
    David Burton
    Starfall Games - Poker Chip Sets and Accessories
    -----------------------------------------------
    If it's not poker or computers I'm probably not interested...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    its not the console price i find off putting, £180 is a bit of a bargin imo, thou granted i would of given two controllers.

Considering VAT and the like, £180 is very fair.

but the games.... this is ALWAYS the problem with the console pricing model imo. They are just too expensive, if every title like rayman, or zelda where £30-25 it would be a happy family romp. its this that annoys me.

I think the price of accessories such as the wheel, tennis racket etc, is also very fair. Wii play is good price, but imo should of come free with console (playing on ur own is boring)
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    ps3 and wii are two completely different consoles

Thanks
    ^^ you think games are expensive???
    you obviously dont remember paying 70 quid for street fighter 2 on the SNES or turok 64

Thanks
    Or did anyone else have a Neo Geo? Ouch.

I'm not entirly sure the PS3 will recover from the supply problems. The Wii will have sold more units by the end of this year than the PS3 expects to shift by the end of next and it's going to take a very long time to catch the 360s user base. Add in the complexity of developing for the cell architecture and if I were running a software house I'd be asking myself how much will we need to sell these units at to make it worth while and will the market take that price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information