Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Eye Treatment

Thanks

Laser Eye Treatment

Who here has had laser eye treatment? I'm contemplating having it done myself, I'm now 24 and my eye sight doesn't seem to be changing anymore so now seems a good a time as any.

I don't mind wearing glasses, I actually quite like it cause they really suit me but it would be easier without them (especially when watching TV in bed!) and glasses cost a fair amount each time you buy them, laser treatment would be cheaper in the long run. Not to mention the summer time, I'd no longer have a need for prescription sunglasses, yay!

My sister had it done with Optimax many years ago so I'm contemplating going with them.

If you've had it done, who did you have it done with and what are your thoughts and opinions?

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    Talk to Tumble, he's had it!

I'm seriously considering it in a few years once my eyes have settled down. I've worn contacts for the last 10 years.

Professional Bum
    Thanks
    I've not had it, but will probably get it done in a few years. Currently wear contacts/glasses and it's getting to the point where it would be nice to not have them any more.

I'm 26 now and my prescription hasn't changed for a while, my optician says that now is probably a good time for me to get it done before I need glasses again as I get older

However, when I have it done I will make sure I get a reputable company to do it rather than the cheapest(I've heard some horror stories about the cheap places). If you trust your optician, I'd ask them for a recommendation and their opinion. I've been going to my optician for about 20 years so I trust her opinion and she's always given impartial advice even when it meant less money for her.

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oh man, girls in glasses are normally so nice (I mean fashionable glasses, not bottle tops) my girlfriend wears contacts and glasses on occasion and she looks great both ways.

I can see why it would make you feel different and slightly ill at ease but I think the right glasses for the right person look great, better even than no glasses. After all look at the sunglasses trend there is now.

But some girls look hot in glasses, or maybe its just me.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    I've had it.

It was one of the best things I've ever done, and I'd reccomend it.
    The experience of the surgery itself was horriffic. Most people say it doesn't hurt, and the laser itself doesn't. The only part which did was attaching the vacuum ring to the eye, which for me was agony.
    I would second the advice to go with an expensive place. Most of the cheaper ones have extra charges (which can be several hundred) for follow-up exams or eyedrops (you need several types for a while after the surgery), and the more expensive places have more expensive, more modern laser machines.

Thanks
    George, I'm not sure if you were referring to me but I'm not a girl!

TeePee, thanks for the info. Where did you get yours done if you don't mind me asking? I don't usually like putting things in my eyes and I always jump when the optician does that air blowing thingymajig but ah well.

Thanks
    I went through Boots eye clinic, but they closed a year later.

It's an ordeal, but you have to be relaistic about it, it only lasts an hour and you go home and sleep the rest of the day because you're so fatigued, and when you wake up your vision is almost perfect. It will still improve a little as it heals.

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    I had it at Ultralase in Manchester, last October, and I completely agree with Teepee. It's not pleasant, but definitely worth it. I'm very happy with the results, and the riciulously high level of care I've received.

I'm 22 and my prescription hadn't changed for 5 years, however I kept breaking glasses, and I didn't like wearing contacts due to my irregular sleep patterns/insomnia.

Thanks
    I was contemplating having this done but went back to the optician for one last try at contacts due to the large cost. I've always been a very bad lens wearer. However he trialled me on Acuvue Oasys and I can't believe how good they've been for me. All thoughts of surgery evaporated especially with the possibility of night glare, and imperfect results. My contacts have given me safe, perfect vision for minimal cost and they are the first lens I've ever been able to consider wearing for more than 24 hours solid. Not only that I've had them in for a week [night and day] and they've felt good as new. This is a revelation for me as I've always had extremely sensitive eyes.

Laser surgery is great no doubt about it, I'm just playing devil's advocate and giving my point of view in the hope that it might make you consider both sides of the argument.

Thanks
    I went to a place called The Centre For Sight, in East Grinstead. They have a website - www.centreforsight.com and they are the business. None of this vacuum cup nonsense to make the flap - they cut it with a laser instead of a blade. It freaked me out while I was on the table and I was nearly ill BUT the results were instant, and I was so busy reading everything in sight that I forgot about my discomfort - I was also drugged up to the eyeballs on diazapam.... which was nice.

The worst bit about it was paying - it weren't cheap - about £2100 per eye BUT the aftercare is amazing, and that includes all your medication and follow ups.

In hindsight, it really has been the most worthwhile and valuable thing I've ever done - I can do my job better for it, because I don't smack my glasses on the insides of copiers anymore, and tbh the best bit about it is being able to sleep ANYWHERE... you wouldn't have thought it, but the ability to just have a snooze on a bus or train or on the boat is an amazing liberty without having to worry about gumming yer eyes up cos you've got your lenses in or you've nowhere to put your glasses down. Brilliant.

Not for everyone, but if your eyes are suitable for correction, I'd say go for it

PS: I've got a video of mine being done... it's a right eye opener.. bu-dum..tisssh

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Registered+
    Thanks
    had it done! at 21 it was great i was so blind best thing evea!

Thanks
    Sorry guys, I hate to be the only one to disagree but NO!

Have a friend who had it and it went wrong, her vision worsened as a result of the procedure. And she had a very nasty infection which could very easily have blinded her permenantly. Consider the risks, it is an operation, they surgically open up the area in front of your cornea. Then use a laser to reshape your lens. If it goes wrong, you are in trouble. OK I admit, there is only a small chance of it going wrong, but do you really want to take a chance with your eyesight?
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thanks
    Some those laser machines run Windows, would you trust Bill Gates with your eyes?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin View Post
    Sorry guys, I hate to be the only one to disagree but NO!

Have a friend who had it and it went wrong, her vision worsened as a result of the procedure. And she had a very nasty infection which could very easily have blinded her permenantly. Consider the risks, it is an operation, they surgically open up the area in front of your cornea. Then use a laser to reshape your lens. If it goes wrong, you are in trouble. OK I admit, there is only a small chance of it going wrong, but do you really want to take a chance with your eyesight?

he's right but their is that SMALL chance it will **** up your vision. They made my sign saying if my vision messed up i cant sue. but i was well aware of the risks and i researched it. And i was willing to take the risk. Luckily everything went good.

Odc
    Thanks
    • Odc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Corsair MX100, 500Gb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • SLI Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448
      • PSU:
      • 750W Enermax
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Centurion 5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SP2309W
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalefish View Post
    Some those laser machines run Windows, would you trust Bill Gates with your eyes?
    Way to go putting everyone on this forum off having the surgery

Hexus Trust = Odesi

Thanks
    My girlfriend has sent off for some information. The booklet says from as little as £400 per eye. I know it's something she really wants done and as soon as we have the cash I'm sure she'll go ahead with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information