• Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I used to love them when I was younger
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    I see what you did there. With the title and all. Well done.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I used to love them when I was younger
    Me too.

The Spice Girls were the 90s really. No harm in getting together for one last tour.

As for the thread title, Knox, being a rocker, is simply unable to appriciate any song which isn't sung by a long haired, bearded proto-ape, with greasy hair, a tye-dye tshirt and jeans so tight they turn your blood blue, singing about the Devil, whilst wearing a mask made from meat.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Me too.

The Spice Girls were the 90s really. No harm in getting together for one last tour.

As for the thread title, Knox, being a rocker, is simply unable to appriciate any song which isn't sung by a long haired, bearded proto-ape, with greasy hair, a tye-dye tshirt and jeans so tight they turn your blood blue, singing about the Devil, whilst wearing a mask made from meat.
    Its not my fault pop music became the purgatory of the music industry housing nothing but the mediocre and photogenic.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I'm with you Knoxy, burn them, burn them, burn them.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    They were crap before, i'm sure they will be even more crap now.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    Its not my fault pop music became the purgatory of the music industry housing nothing but the mediocre and photogenic.
    You mean - pop music is crap. Well, the Spice Girls probably sold more records than most of the bands you listen to, so maybe you are confusing music thats not to your personal taste, with crap music?

Pop music is like EA games - much more rubbish than quality, but that is true of all types of music. The Spice Girls songs are not classics, but they sold tens of millions of records, and became world famous - so they were popular... singing popular songs. Like pop songs, yes?

Pop music isn't all bad.
    Last edited by Stewart; 28-06-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    Pop music isn't all bad.
    I'll give you that one. Doesn't make the spice girls any better though...

EDIT: and just because it sells loads of copies, doesn't make it good. It just means there are millions of people with low standards.
    Last edited by Funkstar; 28-06-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    greasy hair, a tye-dye tshirt and jeans so tight they turn your blood blue, singing about the Devil, whilst wearing a mask made from meat.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    just because it sells loads of copies, doesn't make it good..
    Makes it popular though. Bit like pop music really.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    You mean - pop music is crap. Well, the Spice Girls probably sold more records than most of the bands you listen to, so maybe you are confusing music thats not to your personal taste, with crap music?

Pop music is like EA games - much more rubbish than quality, but that is true of all types of music. The Spice Girls songs are not classics, but they sold tens of millions of records, and became world famous - so they were popular... singing popular songs. Like pop songs, yes?

Pop music isn't all bad.
    The Spice Girls have sold 53 million records worldwide, quite an achievement....

Lets compare that to some the bands I listen to.....

Metallica - 90 million albums worldwide.

Guns n Roses - 90 million albums worldwide (estimated).

Black Sabbath - 70 million albums worldwide.

But all these bands have been around 20/30 odd years, what about a band that kicked into gear during the mid nineties around the same time as the spice girls.......

Korn - 56 Million records worldwide.

Pop music used to be music, what is pop music now? A mish mash of badly produced r'n'b, moody singer songwriters and novelty acts. To say that theres always more bad than good in a genre is a cop out of epic proportions aswell. If a thrash metal band is horrifically bad (and I mean technically here, i.e musicians with no skill and no song arrangment skills) they might play gigs in the local dive bar once a week and sell a couple of badly produced home made cd's to friends.

If a pop musician is bad (i.e no musical talent, no song writing skills) they're given a team of writers, a producer thats very handy with pro tools and a pair of latex red hot pants to attract the attention away from their terrible voice when asked to perform live.

Its a genre that since the early nineties has been steeped in record label control and this has allowed very very few genuinely innovative pop acts to slip through, ninety nine percent of it however is bilge, scum, filth of the highest order, especially during the nineties actually, when boy bands and bubblegum blowing teenagers with tight jeans ruled pop music.

Thats not to say if I hear a good song on the radio I won't point it out as being good, and there have been a couple recently, not good enough for me to hop down to HMV and purchase the album, but good. I still maintain Michael Jackson was probably the last true pop artist worth a listen, and his last couple of albums have fallen from grace aswell.

Banned
    Thanks
    The Spice Girls have sold 53 million records worldwide, quite an achievement....

Lets compare that to some the bands I listen to.....

Metallica - 90 million albums worldwide.

Guns n Roses - 90 million albums worldwide (estimated).

Black Sabbath - 70 million albums worldwide.

But all these bands have been around 20/30 odd years, what about a band that kicked into gear during the mid nineties around the same time as the spice girls.......

Korn - 56 Million records worldwide.
    Yeah - I didn't mean I bet you can't name 5 bands that you listen to who have sold more than the Spice Girls, just that 50 million records puts them ahead of most bands who have been around since the mid 90s. I'm sure you listen to many bands who haven't sold 5 million albums, let alone 50. Its almost like you picked those bands specifically because they had sold more than 50...

Pop music used to be music, what is pop music now? A mish mash of badly produced r'n'b, moody singer songwriters and novelty acts. To say that theres always more bad than good in a genre is a cop out of epic proportions aswell. If a thrash metal band is horrifically bad (and I mean technically here, i.e musicians with no skill and no song arrangment skills) they might play gigs in the local dive bar once a week and sell a couple of badly produced home made cd's to friends.

If a pop musician is bad (i.e no musical talent, no song writing skills) they're given a team of writers, a producer thats very handy with pro tools and a pair of latex red hot pants to attract the attention away from their terrible voice when asked to perform live.

Its a genre that since the early nineties has been steeped in record label control and this has allowed very very few genuinely innovative pop acts to slip through, ninety nine percent of it however is bilge, scum, filth of the highest order, especially during the nineties actually, when boy bands and bubblegum blowing teenagers with tight jeans ruled pop music.
    I'm not disputing any of this. 99.99% of pop music is not worth wasting your time on.

I still maintain Michael Jackson was probably the last true pop artist worth a listen, and his last couple of albums have fallen from grace aswell.
    He sort of fell from grace as well when he had a kiddie fiddler trial, and took to living in a fairground, with a lion and a monkey. I'd say the Spice Girls are the last great example of a pop group. From nobodies to megastars in a year, lasted 7-8 years, had #1 after #1, world tours and that, then split, do nowt for a bit, comeback tour and greatest hits album. Jobs a good un.

Didn't you even listen to Wannabe when it first came out? Or were you already 101% metal in your youth?
    Last edited by Stewart; 28-06-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Yeah - I didn't mean I bet you can't name 5 bands that you listen to who have sold more than the Spice Girls, just that 50 million records puts them ahead of most bands who have been around since the mid 90s. I'm sure you listen to many bands who haven't sold 5 million albums, let alone 50. Its almost like you picked those bands specifically because they had sold more than 50...
    I picked those bands for three reasons, they're the ones people are more likely to know on here, they're some of the first metal artists I got my teeth into as a young 'un and are hence forth still among the favourites and finally I knew they had sales records that annihalated the spice girls and made them look as small and as insignificant as they should be.

He sort of fell from grace as well when he had a kiddie fiddler trial, and took to living in a fairground, with a lion and a monkey. I'd say the Spice Girls are the last great example of a pop group. From nobodies to megastars in a year, lasted 7-8 years, had #1 after #1, world tours and that, then split, do nowt for a bit, comeback tour and greatest hits album. Jobs a good un.

Didn't you even listen to Wannabe when it first came out? Or were you already 101% metal in your youth?
    If the spice girls were the last great pop group why can't any of them sing? actually, no, I take that back, I seem to remember emma bunton not having a terrible voice, still though one out of five is a terrible ratio.

I didn't spend a great deal of time on pop music when I was younger no, I listened to alot of older pop music, The Stranglers, Michael Jackson, The Eagles, Marvin Gaye, Chuck Berry etc. I flirted briefly with trance, techno and drum and bass, upon the realisation that while most of my school enjoyed said genre's they really weren't for me though I started listening to alot more heavy rock and metal.

Pop music when I was growing up always seemed a vacuous stalinesque leviathan of a genre that was based upon the opinions of the masses, and lets face it, the masses are idiots and like exactly what they told to by radio, television and nme. The worst of it came quite recently with the resurgance of indie, everybody now swaggers around in ramones t-shirts and blazers despite never having owned a ramones album, occasionally spouting nme album reviews at anyone who happens to mention music near them.

Its a horrible state of affairs.

Banned
    Thanks
    I picked those bands for three reasons, they're the ones people are more likely to know on here, they're some of the first metal artists I got my teeth into as a young 'un and are hence forth still among the favourites and finally I knew they had sales records that annihalated the spice girls and made them look as small and as insignificant as they should be.
    Yeah, good. But just one more time - they have sold 50 million albums, thats more than most bands from the mid 90s to now, they were world famous. As a pop groups job is to sell records, they did pretty a pretty good job. The were massively popular, had 8 or 9 number 1s, etc. So, they are not insignificant... they were part of British culture, Cool Britainia and all that.

They are insignificant in terms of how much talent they actually have, in every other respect, they are one of the most important bands of the last decade. Up there with Oasis, Blue and Pulp, with much more cheesy, throw away songs, of course.

How many people do you know, or even, how many people have you ever met in your life, who didn't know who the Spice Girls were? Probably not many. This is because they were a significant pop group, and world fame and generation defining influence (to some of the Playstation generation little noobs anyway), makes this the case.

If the spice girls were the last great pop group why can't any of them sing? actually, no, I take that back, I seem to remember emma bunton not having a terrible voice, still though one out of five is a terrible ratio.
    Don't mean anything - its about the act. Bob Hope didn't write his own jokes, but he was famous for delivering them. Talent is not popularity. The Spice Girls had little actual talent, but they were still a massive success.

Pop music when I was growing up always seemed a vacuous stalinesque leviathan.
    You were very dark for a school boy - and unnessacarily flowery. When I was growing up things I didn't like were sh*t.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin
    i'm gonna let you lot fight this out, smug in the knowledge that i have far superior taste than anyone else on this forum.

and the spice girls were gawd awful, but i still like Mel C
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information