View Poll Results: Smoking ban, good for you, or not good for you?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

105 91.30%
  • No, I want to be able to smoke!

10 8.70%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    I do feel sorry for the pub landlords, and I also think that they should be able to have a smoking pub if they want to, as long as they make it clear that its a smoking pub at the doorway.

There was a few on the news the other night (might have been in blackpool), and he said he was going to ignore the ban and let his customers smoke, and then the newspeople interviewed some local bigwig from the council, and they said that they would look into revoking his alcohol license if he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

I shall never tire... BEANFro Elite's Avatar
    Thanks
    • BEANFro Elite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME Rev.3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb RevoDrive 3 X2, 1x 1TB Maxter DiamondMax 11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATi HD5970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermater Cosmos Pure Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk
    YES! At last! This has to be THE best thing the Government has ever done for us!

I went into the local Whetherspoons for lunch with the missus; I must say, I've never quite experienced such a thing in my whole life, I could only smell the alcohol!

I'm so happy! LOL!
    Last edited by BEANFro Elite; 01-07-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable
    well I am rather p*ssed off already with the ban

Went to my local carling accademy for a gig (Me first and the gimme gimmes supported by pickled dick and a rubbish band), tried to go outside for a cigarette in between bands and they wouldnt let me!

I was told if I went outside I would have to pay full price to get back in, that was nearly £20! Not only that but when I told them about the people that were smoking inside they just didn't care

I smoke, however I will comply with the ban, what I won't do though is keep my mouth shut when people don't, get off with no penalty yet I am penalised for trying to follow it.
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    For me the argument is simple.

According to sources like World Health Organistation, about 6 million people die of cancer very year (6.7 million in 2003, for instance), globally. And of those, about 30% are caused by smoking. That puts smoking-related cancer deaths at around 2 million a year.

And according to the same WHO sources, passive smoking increases the chances of non-smokers getting cancer by between 20% and 30%.

Smoking is the world's largest cause of preventable cancers. And that's just cancer. Smoking causes far more deaths through cardiovascular and lung diseases than it does through cancer. And it causes a raft of other problems, from ear infections and asthma to sudden infant death syndrome in kids.

If you look at the evidence, you'll find much posturing on both sides. But the International Agency for Research on Cancer, a part of the World Heath Organisation was unequivocal, saying

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Richard Doll, IARC, WHO

Environmental tobacco smoke that people experience at work or at home is definitely a cause of lung cancer.

That has been discussed for a long time but this is the first time a group of independent scientists have reviewed all the evidence and said there is no question it is a cause of lung cancer.
    The bold was added by me.

They also concluded that

one half of all persistent cigarette smokers are eventually killed by a tobacco-related disease ...... Half of these deaths occur in middle age, which means they lose an average of 20-25 years of non-smoker life expectancy.
    Now, if someone wants to smoke and increase their risk of cancer, lung or cardiovascular disease to that extent, well, it strikes me as an idiotic thing to do, but we're all entitled to make our own decisions on that. But we're NOT entitled to foist it on other people.

The argument about the effects of second hand smoke have raged back and forth for years, but it seems to me that there is now solid evidence that second hand smoke is a killer, and a serious one at that, and the World Health Organisation, in the form of 29 experts from 12 different countries, agrees.

The US Surgeon General has stated :-

1) Secondhand smoke causes premature death and disease in children and in adults who do not smoke.

2) Exposure of adults to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and causes coronary heart disease and lung cancer.

3) The scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke.

4) Secondhand smoke is responsible for about 3,400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults per year (in the US alone)

5) Eliminating smoking in indoor spaces fully protects nonsmokers from exposure to secondhand smoke. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot eliminate exposures of nonsmokers to secondhand smoke.

It's just my opinion, but to me, the arguments about smelly hair, ponging clothes and even whether or not bars will go out of business are all secondary to what now seems to be fact ... the risks to health from second hand smoke are serious, significant and imminent. What else do we need to know?

5. Received thanks from:

Agent (02-07-2007),Clunk (02-07-2007),Howard (02-07-2007),Kezzer (02-07-2007),LunarJetman (03-07-2007),steve threlfall (02-07-2007)

I shall never tire... BEANFro Elite's Avatar
    Thanks
    • BEANFro Elite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME Rev.3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb RevoDrive 3 X2, 1x 1TB Maxter DiamondMax 11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATi HD5970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermater Cosmos Pure Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk
    I don't care about smokers, they can soak / freeze in the cold / rain for all I care.

Now I can enjoy myself, drink and eat without having my lungs raped or smelling like an ashtray.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    well I am rather p*ssed off already with the ban

Went to my local carling accademy for a gig (Me first and the gimme gimmes supported by pickled dick and a rubbish band), tried to go outside for a cigarette in between bands and they wouldnt let me!

I was told if I went outside I would have to pay full price to get back in, that was nearly £20! Not only that but when I told them about the people that were smoking inside they just didn't care

I smoke, however I will comply with the ban, what I won't do though is keep my mouth shut when people don't, get off with no penalty yet I am penalised for trying to follow it.
    That's standard practice not to let people back into a gig if they go out.

Also, Me First and the Gimme Gimme's rock. Fat Mike was so drunk last time I saw them

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    its a good idea to ban in confined spaces. but i think theres alot more serious problems that people and the government should tackle and be more worried about right now with this country.

Thanks
    Well on Sunday afternoon I went to the pub and it was literally a breath of fresh air.

One thought: good money to be made for businesses making outdoor smoking shelters.
    _ _ _
    Vroomy

Thanks
    To be honest, the outdoor shelters we have in Guernsey are lush. Not only that, but there's a lot of pubs/bars which have patios to go out onto with heaters and those big umbrella things, so it's not all that bad for smokers in that scenario. English pubs have a tendency to have nothing but a roadside pavement for smoking

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5cupa View Post
    its a good idea to ban in confined spaces. but i think theres alot more serious problems that people and the government should tackle and be more worried about right now with this country.
    One step at a time. And there's many sections to the government, not all of the offices would concentrate on one area in specific

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable
    m8 rang me this morning, during the convo he pointed out how he was ejected from the same pub 4 times last night as he was pissed as a fart and kept forgetting to go outside after he rolled up..

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung, 320 Gb no name I can recall, 500Gb Sandisk SDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY - XLR8 GeForce 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.
    I am used to having smoke-free pubs so when I go into an espace fumer (a smoker) by accident I am instantly aware that I have done so, because of the smell. I'm pleased about the ban, but I do believe that private 'smoking clubs' (i.e. pubs with a sign up) should be allowed. I don't have to go in, after all.

I don't like a nanny state doing what's good for me, but I do understand that this is about protecting kids and passive smokers and about reducing the NHS bills. It's a good thing on balance, but now it's done let's start working on banning speed cameras.

(Thanks Evilmunky)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezzer View Post
    That's standard practice not to let people back into a gig if they go out.

Also, Me First and the Gimme Gimme's rock. Fat Mike was so drunk last time I saw them
    Might be, but they wouldn't allow you to smoke inside (regardless of people doing it, and the fact that they did nothing about it so could be reported)

They do indeed, the new bassist was drinking every time they played a cover song

Thing is that what they did was AFAIK illegal (in that they didnt attempt to do anything about the smokers inside) but also that they will lose business as TBH the place reeked of BO by the end of the gig, not to mention the smelly female hippy in front of me (manky dreadlocks banging in my face....ew)

Fair enough it is early days, but they should at least have thought of what they were going to do for smokers, seems silly to just tell 1/3 of your customers to bugger off and not come back if you want a smoke
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks
    i don't mind smoking outside at all - encourages me to smoke less, however my office has completely flown off the handle about it.
    we're not allowed morning and afternoon tea/coffee breaks as we're in engineering rather than manufacturing (reason being we're allowed hot drinks at our desks) so I have a period from 12:15 until 1pm to have my cigarettes during the day.
    i might suggest that my boss issues smoking passes as I was actually reported to HR for having a ciggie in our defined smoking area at 10:30 yesterday morning.
    i've got to say, it's really nice being treated like an adult, given that I'm in my early thirties and am more than capable of totting up my hours. considering i only took 15 mins for lunch I figure I'm entitled to use the other half hour as I please.
    in fact i might craft an email to that effect to my boss now.
    pr*cks.

Thanks
    hooray! no more morning train retching when some selfish smoker sits next to me still enveloped in last second smog.
    I still don't understand why people have to be told to not to smoke in places like bus shelters, or on train stations when kids are off to school - I would have happily volunteered to be part of voluntary vigilante tazer squad.
    Disgusting as smoking is, it should not have been banned in pubs. For a lot of people chain smoking over a couple of pints all day/evening is basically their whole sad existence.
    On sunday my gf popped into a local convenience store and outside under the awning, from the pub about 30 yards away were a dozen or so half cut neanderthals smoking away and calling out unpleasant abuse to the shoppers. So it's not just pubs that are going to suffer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyman View Post
    i don't mind smoking outside at all - encourages me to smoke less, however my office has completely flown off the handle about it.
    we're not allowed morning and afternoon tea/coffee breaks as we're in engineering rather than manufacturing (reason being we're allowed hot drinks at our desks) so I have a period from 12:15 until 1pm to have my cigarettes during the day.
    i might suggest that my boss issues smoking passes as I was actually reported to HR for having a ciggie in our defined smoking area at 10:30 yesterday morning.
    i've got to say, it's really nice being treated like an adult, given that I'm in my early thirties and am more than capable of totting up my hours. considering i only took 15 mins for lunch I figure I'm entitled to use the other half hour as I please.
    in fact i might craft an email to that effect to my boss now.
    pr*cks.
    Seeing as though I work for one of the largest software companies in the world, I thought I could comment on this.

That's friggin' stupid.

We're allowed to take breaks whenever we feel like it at my work, we're allowed to turn up when we want and we're allowed to leave when we want, as long as we make up the hours in the week. Hell, in my 12 months of employment I've only been here for 8 months, and I finish this month, yet they still let me keep my job.

18. Received thanks from:

scottyman (03-07-2007)

Thread Information