Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A UK based overclocking competition, what say ye?

Thanks

A UK based overclocking competition, what say ye?

Seems to me that the UK scene doesn't really have that much in the way of overclocking competitions, any prizes for winning new hardware or the likes seem to be based on draws which obviously rolling in the punters isn't exactly competitive.

We had a semi successful one a few years back that was supposed by a number of UK hardware websites but unfortunately a fair number of people pulled out at the last minute, due to the timings of the competition with exams.

Isn't about time we tried again? Hexus has a great number of links with the IT industry and should be able to rustle up some good prizes for a competition. I was having a look about his morning and the new 8400GS cards can be had for around £20-25 bulk which would be a small "investment" for a fun competition - if they're cheap enough you want mind hammering the crap out of them to win something bigger!

Just putting these ideas out to pasture to see what you guys(girls?) think if the interest is there maybe a few of us can get together and try to start something up

John

Thanks
    sounds like a bad idea.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    • Magnets's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35 DS3p
      • CPU:
      • E6420
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS2 5400 C4 (2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 7200.10 320gb *2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire x1950xt
      • PSU:
      • Corsair hx520
      • Case:
      • Lian li PC-7 + II
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VP930
      • Internet:
      • Zen
    I don't understand, you get some cheap hardware, then everyone overclocks it as far as they can without it exploding?
    Winner is the person with the best overclock?

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    I can imagine the tension as Orthos passes the 12 hour mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    Sounds like you need to get out more

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    And you if you thought I was serious
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    The problem with overclocking competitions in a majority of cases, is it's won by someone who can invest more money than other contestants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    let me clarify it wouldn't be the out right fastest overclock, which as agent has commented on would be someone who could just throw money at it. A percentage overclock from stock would be fairer as it would should how much you had overclocked on your system, so someone with lesser hardware that had say 30% increase in their 3Dmark score would obviously be better than someone who had a 20% increase but their final score was higher.

ikonia can you explain why it would be a bad idea rather than the above reason?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    John
    lolz

10. Received thanks from:

Clunk (20-07-2007)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    lA percentage overclock from stock would be fairer as it would should how much you had overclocked on your system, so someone with lesser hardware that had say 30% increase in their 3Dmark score would obviously be better than someone who had a 20% increase but their final score was higher.
    I don't understand - someone with a more expensive motherboard is going to be able to overclock the same chip further than someone with a cheaper motherboard - they're going to have a larger percentage overclock.

Thanks
    just sounds like a bad idea, waste of time and resources, the people who overclock do so for their own needs, seems pointless to be specific hardware to try and out clock other people, more so when you take into effect that there are so many factors outside of your control, such as a stable electricity supply, the boards and kit people use, the temperature of the place they are overclcoking in. To summerise an overclocking constest sounds like a too much hassle, money burning, pointless waste of time.
    Last edited by ikonia; 20-07-2007 at 03:12 PM.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    Hmm well it seems I'm pitching this idea to the wrong people then.

Thanks
    let me clarify it wouldn't be the out right fastest overclock, which as agent has commented on would be someone who could just throw money at it. A percentage overclock from stock would be fairer as it would should how much you had overclocked on your system, so someone with lesser hardware that had say 30% increase in their 3Dmark score would obviously be better than someone who had a 20% increase but their final score was higher.

ikonia can you explain why it would be a bad idea rather than the above reason?
    More money = Better memory so it doesn't hold the person back, a better motherboard, better cooling (someone with LN2 is almost certain to win, hands down), ect...

Hmm well it seems I'm pitching this idea to the wrong people then.
    It was only a few previous posts you were saying that HEXUS should provide prizes for such a competition Now as soon as a few members point out holes in the idea, we are the 'wrong people'?
    Or on the flip side it could just be a bad idea ?

To be fair to HEXUS, quite a few competitions happen already
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    The problem with overclocking competitions in a majority of cases, is it's won by someone who can invest more money than other contestants.
    this is why I didn't enter the last abit UK oc competition - there was no segregation for cooling so the guys on LN2, phase, cascade, water etc. were obviously going to win over those of us on air.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    OK firstly this is purely an idea guys I've not set out the exact rules and frame work for a competiton here so yeah it's pretty easy to pick holes in!

THe better hardware argument applies if you're free to clock your system to whatever you can so if the limits for CPU and FSB speeds where made this would negate these problems.

As for the cooling argument the last competition like any other one I've seen/entered would have different catigoruies air/water/anything goes. this way it levels the playing field out for the respective players.

As for the "pitching this idea to the wrong people then" It's because it would seem that those that have chosen to comment have no interest in this kinda competition. I'm not taking a sulk because people point out holes (though in my defence I've not tried to start he competition but merely see what people would think of the idea) but it would seem that if I were to try to organise one there isn't much interest here. Yes Hexus do a few competitions but as I'd said before, their more raffle based than actually skill end based.

Thanks
    Really like the idea. There ARE ways of making stuff like this fair, trust me - organized 2 of these for the UK and elsewhere which both had winners who didn't always have the highest end hardware.
    Firstly, categories by cooling help split the phase guys from the aircoolers so really you can't use that as an argument. Secondly the competition could be based upon a "fixed" system speed. Basically, the only thing the compeition is measured upon is increased GPU speeds (ie, entrants submit a set of "stock" benchmarks encorporating a way to certify the performance such as superpi. The entrants then submit their "overclocked" results, keeping the same system speed but with increased GPU clocks. That way you only really get a relative performance increase.)
    That allows the aircooled guys to play with the phase coolers, in fact its probably easier for the aircooled guys in this case as the % increase in scores from GPU clocks alone may well be higher than that of the phase guys who may already be pulling biiiiig numbers.

Just to "beat" the idea down without asking questions really doesn't seem fair. It was only a suggestion by John and constructive criticism would surely be better?
    Maybe there just aren't the overclockers in the community here to embrace such an idea. 25 quid for a lot of fun is well worth the cash imo, it's the fun of pushing hardware rather than winning some shiny toys.

Shame John received the reaction he did, would be great to get another comp up and running!
    .:. X2 @ 2.9 .:. E6600 L628 @ 4.73 .:. AB9 @ 512 FSB .:. E6300 @ 100% OC Stable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information