• 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.

Iranian Army are terrorists

According to this CNN Article the US government are thinking about declaring the Iranian Revolutionary Guard terrorists.

Yet another way of simply starting a war without formal declaration of war. Yet another way of ****-canning the Geneva Convention for large scale military actions. Yet another way of destabilizing the Middle East. Yet another way of creating more terrorists out of thin air. Yet another way of shutting up the own population about mass-murder in the name of profit ('if we're killing terrorists it's all right, right? Go back to bed.')

Words just fail me. The US is going to hell in a handbasket - and is determined to take the world with it. Sooner or later they'll fork with a group that has the means to seriously hurt the US (Remember that many US citizens are immigrants of one era or another. That's a lot of sympathizers right in your midst. Start getting paranoid.)

When you think of the success they had in getting Americans killed and recruiting for al qaeda in Iraq, the mind boggles at the thought of raising the ire of Iran, the world's second worst exporter and sponsor of terrorism after the USA.

If the invasion of Iraq was a poorly considered act of lunacy, what happens when the Revolutionary Guard gets angry? That man is an idiot.

(Thanks Evilmunky)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Iranian Army are terrorists

It is indeed worrying however until its official its just speculation, but it could purely be a political motive to allow a group to be targeted rather than a whole country. I think its all to do with their constition in America, what they can legally attack, however the problem would be how the Iranians viewed it. Also has to be thrown in that Iranian Revoltionary Guards operating in Iraq would be illegal and therefore without reproach, but these are all technicalities.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    • M0nkeyb0Y's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI DK X58 T3 eH6
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Boot: Intel SSD (80gb); + >3Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ati 5870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w modular
      • Case:
      • see thread in my sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC EA 231wmi
      • Internet:
      • 16MB/s

I'm at work so can't provide a link, but if you youtube "Iannucci" and "Terrorist" there's a great montage...

"Terrorist" is like the ultimate top-trump card for US politicians, lets them go where they want, with public (US) backing

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

If oil is ever discovered in the deepest darkest jungles of darkest peru, then I'm pretty sure Paddington Bear will be named a terrorist
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung, 320 Gb no name I can recall, 500Gb Sandisk SDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY - XLR8 GeForce 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    "It would basically declare open season on these guys," the official said, adding that the move is being taken because of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps' (IRGC) support for "all the bad actors" -- insurgents in Iraq, the Taliban in Afghanistan and other terrorist groups in the Middle East like Hezbollah and Hamas.

The move is "three-fourths done but the devil is in the details," the official said. An internal decision has been made to take some action, but there is still debate on whether to designate the entire IRGC or just the elite Quds Force.
    So it's virtually a done deal. Also, the phrase 'open season' implies to me that the intent is to attack them wherever they are.

I do believe though, that it's all part of the idiotic neocon master-plan for bringing democracy to the Middle East. That, sooner or later, it will be followed up with another turn of the screw, and so-on, until Iran finally fights back.

(Thanks Evilmunky)

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a move that lets the U.S. tackle things like asset-freezing and the like so I don't think it heralds an imminent attack against Iran. All the IRGC is doing is the same as the West does, intervening in areas where they have a political interest. Much of Al-Qaeda's book of nasty tricks comes from the CIA and Western special forces anyway - fun and games - they do it, we do it; can't see that changing any time soon.

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:

It's a move that's designed to let the U.S. tackle things like asset-freezing and the like. I would be unsurprised if the passing of it is used as free license to shoot Iranians.

(Thanks Evilmunky)

Thanks

My personal opinion is that I would be surprised if the U.S. launched anything large-scale against Iran in the near future. That's not to say that they won't (and what do I know, anyway?!) just that I don't think they will (mainly for logistical and political reasons) but as we've seen before, if the U.S. wants to intervene somewhere they will. I still think it's more of a legalese approach to tackling things behind the scenes rather than dressing up for a dedicated attack but.. who knows?

edit: I'm not a fan of the current American regime to be perfectly honest, nor do I agree with much of what's happened in Iraq (in particular) but I'm also a realist and most countries do bad things at a high level of political power, that's just politics, unfortunately. JMHO, of course.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

America simply haven't got the man power to go with a full scale invasion. Which is not needed. The Americans are simply stating that they know what the Iranian government is upto. I think your reading too much into it. The American public are already beginning to severely question the government and it's policies in Iraq and GWB is 1 point off being the most unpopular president of all time. Top being Nixon 3 days before his resignation over the "watergate" scandal.

Iran, a country with 130 billion barrels of proven oil reserves,more than anywhere else except Saudi Arabia, has imposed petrol rationing because they only have a refining capacity of 60% and that will fall further as demand grows. 1/3rd of all Irans petrol stations were destroyed by rioting after petrol was rationed along with openly held demonstrations against Ahmadinejad. He is deeply unpopular. Iranians consider oil as their birthright and are embarassed that they cannot provide for themselves.

Inflation is running close to 40%. With "armouredinnerjacket" at the helm it's going to get worse. He does not understand the simplest of economics and has handed positions of policy making decisions to either members of the republican guard or the clerics, booting out finance ministers. The republicanguard now control roughly £5 billion for government projects.

Iran has 70 million people. 2/3rds of the population are under 30 years old (21% are under 14). That 2/3rds are educated but mostly unemployed. They are westernised to a much higher standard than people in the US and UK think. Those that speak English do so with American accents! Women constantly flout the religious dress codes and a whole fashion has grown up with regards to hair and the hijab in the cities

When ever they vote they vote for reformers. The mullah's time is running out. They have failed to produce the economic conditions for prosperity simply because of their foreign policy not just towards the west but middle eastern countries too (and their financial ineptitude - preaching from the Koran does not give one an understanding of world economics!). The race is on; internal collapse and revolution verses the atomic bomb. If the west keeps the squeeze on or threatens to tighten down further due to failures in the Iranian regime to comply with the IEAE then the former is more likely.

Now for the military bit. Too often people think of military action with regards to troops/invasion etc. Iran has an achilles heel as described above. If I wanted to make it clear to the Iranian Government to back off I'd look at destroying one of their petrol refineries.

Abadan, Isfahan, Bandar,Tehran, Arak,Tabriz, Parsian. The ones on the south coast or Tabriz in the north would be easiest to destroy with air strikes. No need for boots on the ground when you can cut their fuel supply to zero very easily.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:

That was very perceptive iranu. Would I be correct in guessing that you have more than a passing familiarity with Iran? I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Iran's capabilities or America's intentions.

I was last in Iran in 2002, and I was kind of pleased at the fact that I was still treated well, despite being blonde and blue-eyed with an unidentifiable accent. So yes, I found ordinary Iranians pretty much as I left them in 1979. They were all a bit worried about the RG though. As you point out, they are not cash-strapped and they are lunatic ideologists on the whole.

I am aware that the categorisation of the RG as terrorists primarily allows the USA to close their bank accounts and freeze their assets, and that is the primary purpose, an incremental increase of the pressure on Iran in general. The problem is that America is an asylum now run by the inmates, and this is like sticking a sign saying 'Kick Me' on Iran's back. Labelling as terrorists anyone Bush wants to kill is an old, but trusty, weapon. Palestinians resisting home demolition, Iraqis trying to get to work, British fish and chip shop employees on holiday in Afghanistan; all have been labelled terrorists so that they can be killed without the majority of Americans caring. I fear that once this label has been applied for one purpose the next purpose will be to start justifying the deaths of Iranians, innocent or not.

(Thanks Evilmunky)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    Iran has 70 million people. 2/3rds of the population are under 30 years old (21% are under 14). That 2/3rds are educated but mostly unemployed. They are westernised to a much higher standard than people in the US and UK think. Those that speak English do so with American accents! Women constantly flout the religious dress codes and a whole fashion has grown up with regards to hair and the hijab in the cities
    I've heard Iran described as being largely Persian in outlook with a narrow Arabian/Islamic layer of control at the top (not my description, a former ambassador's, I believe.) I recently saw Rageh Omar's program from there and it made for very interesting viewing indeed.

I agree with your central thrust - I don't think direct action by the U.S. is likely - I don't think they'd even risk something like an overt strike on their refinement capabilities either (but as stated previously, I could be wrong.) The majority of power plays by all governments goes on out of the view of the general public and I think the 'terrorist' classification is simply to grease the wheels of some aspects of the clandestine actions the U.S. will be taking against Iranian assets, just as the Iranians will be taking clandestine action against U.S. assets. All sides do it.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M0nkeyb0Y View Post
    I'm at work so can't provide a link, but if you youtube "Iannucci" and "Terrorist" there's a great montage...

"Terrorist" is like the ultimate top-trump card for US politicians, lets them go where they want, with public (US) backing
    Iannucci is a legend, once of the blokes behind Brasseye and The Day Today
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Classic moment of his when he got O.J. Simpson to sign an autograph and then unfolded the piece of paper to reveal "I did it. Signed:" on the other side!

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Brucelles - No, I have no connections with Iran at all. Never been there either. I just choose to find out more info rather than rely on Fox News!

Americans have a number one bogey man and that is "Eye-ran".

They backed the Shah, as did we, but they either took their eye off the ball or chose to ignore the rumblings of decent pre 1979. I think that if reform had been pushed by the US then in all likelyhood some form of the monarchy would have remained and a successful transition to a democracy would have occured (Perhaps similar to ours). This would have curtailed the small band of Islamic ideologists whipping up the disgruntled masses and would have lead to a western leaning democracy in the middle east. The yanks got caught with their pants down and ever since the embassy hostage crisis have been itching for "pay back".

America's second bogeyman is "Al-Keye-Aye -da".

The Bush government has successfully put it into the mind of it's people that Al-Qaeda is some form of well founded organisation rather than a loosely based group of fundamentalists that share a common goal. It's a great catch all because it groups everyone into a nice little soundbite. It's one of the many reasons why they are failing to get to grips in Iraq, misunderstanding local politics, tribalism (clans) and insurgency and the role of Iran and foriegn (non-Iraqi) terrorists. I think I read recently that 40% of Americans believe that Al-Qaeda were in Iraq before the invasion! If you can get that sort of lie across using a simple phrase then it's a powerful precursor. So I would agree that this labelling could be used for more over reaching purposes. I've learnt that nothing can be ruled out with regard to the current US (mis) administration!

This sort of infatuation is also causing them to choose failure in Afghanistan too. Instead of using the US troops that are not under NATO command to do what the British, Candadian, Dutch and Danes are doing they are tearing around looking for Bin Laden and his mates. Instead they should be providing security for the people and taking on the taliban/Pashtuns in the south as part of a wider COIN operation. Unfortunately the yanks don't have much empathy toward non Americans and can't see why calling in airstrikes on populated areas tends to piss the Afghans off and make them more likey to sympathise with terry taliban.

Quote Originally Posted by pollaxe View Post
    I've heard Iran described as being largely Persian in outlook with a narrow Arabian/Fundamentalist Islamic layer of control at the top (not my description, a former ambassador's, I believe.)
    I think this is a very good general discription. My bold added.

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    He certainly is. "The Thick of It", is all time pure comedy genius. It must rate up there with Billy Connolly for the most number of f-words per minute!
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

Agreed with the above; and the conscious effort on the part of the Bush Bunch to conflate "Al Qaeda In Iraq" with Osama's Merry Men, when they know damned well that there's no actual link between them (other than the name) doesn't help that much.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    He certainly is. "The Thick of It", is all time pure comedy genius. It must rate up there with Billy Connolly for the most number of f-words per minute!
    I think the honour for the most non sequential swearwords in a comedic piece must go to Steve Martin for Planes Trains and Automobiles, the car rental scene.

quality, he really did used to be funny
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information