• Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Viewsonic
      • Internet:
      • ~3Mbps ADSL (TalkTalk Business)

Moving Out

I've woken up this morning and various little annoyances around here have further increased my desire to move away from home.

Now, I'm just away to start my 2nd year of Uni in Aberdeen - so if I move out, it'll be into town for sure.

I've been thinking I'd like to share a flat with 1 or 2 other people, so that it isn't too crowded, but not too empty (I'm not very sociable, but it would be nice to have people around), but ofcourse I'm very young and with that comes a great deal of naivety (magic, spelt correctly first time! ) - so I'm looking to the wise people of hexus for advice about this, your own experiences perhaps?

The money issue, I'm pretty sure I have that covered - I worked with a company over the summer and they asked me to come back part time (on 'my own terms' because I'm at Uni), so I can work as much or little as I have time for - so even at minimum wage should be able to make enough to pay my 'share' if this goes ahead, I also have savings I can dip into if I have to, but I'd rather not.

And, how much extra p/m utilities are on average, leccy/water etc - funkstar, you live in a flat in Town don't you? Any advice from you would be very useful I imagine

Fire away folks!
    "If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"
    - me, 2005

Thanks

Re: Moving Out

Have a look on the S Union boards, there are usually people advertising house/flat shares on there, if none of the cards suits you, put your own up. Ask in your classes, someone may be able to help there.

If you do share, make sure each of you knows his/her responsiblities, be better to sign a contract, just in case of problems later on.

Enjoy Uni.

Thanks
    • kidzer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • $motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TiB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Viewsonic
      • Internet:

Ideally I'd be looking to share with folks I already know from school/last year at Uni, because I dont get on with new people well at all, I should've added that in my first post!

Cheers
    - me, 2005

Thanks

It's pretty simple really. I've lived away from home for 3 years now and I'm only 21.

There's a crap load to sort out usually, but only one person in the flat typically does that. Also, it's probably better to pay your electric bill in one go instead of having monthly transfers. As they charge per quarter it's always best to split the bill. One of my old flat mates got us to pay leccy per month. I never saw the excess money which I was paying again

So remember, electric, gas, clean water, dirty water, internet, no council tax obviously as you're a student and perhaps insurance for your personal property is always a good idea. I knew quite a few students who had their houses robbed and lost thousands worth without insurance on their goods.

Don't share with people you'll spend a lot of time with. Typically share with people you probably don't share the same course with, or spend a lot of time with when not in the flat, you'll get absolutely sick of them if so and it ends up in fights.

Thanks
    • kidzer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • $motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TiB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Viewsonic
      • Internet:

Kezzer, do you live on your own?

I quite fancy living on my own, but I dont know if I could afford it, the # of bedrooms/cost ratio isn't linear, by my (not brilliant) maths, 3/4 bedroom flats seem to be the 'cheapest' around here.
    - me, 2005

Thanks

I moved out for the firat time last year (aged 22), and i love it, however there's a LOT to organise that you don't think about when you're living at home. Also, you'll appreciate everything your parents ever did for you over the years too. I've never cleaned or washed so much in my life!

But the feeling of freedom and independence is worth every minute.

Granted, i moved in with my boyfriend, I wouldn't have been able to afford to move out of home while i was at uni. Ask your parents for advice, what they pay out just now. write EVERYTHING down that you'd have to pay out, inc. your mobile bill, internet, TV licence, gas/leccy, rent, home phone, sky/NTL, public transport fares, food etc. Make sure you know EXACTLY how much you'll be paying out, how much you can afford to save, and how much you've got to realistically live on - i.e pubs/clubs/gadgets basically pocket money, after everything's paid for. That way, you know what you've got, and because you're putting money away as well, if you get caught out with something that needs paying for.

hope that helps!

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    write EVERYTHING down that you'd have to pay out, inc. your mobile bill, internet, TV licence, gas/leccy, rent, home phone, sky/NTL, public transport fares, food etc. Make sure you know EXACTLY how much you'll be paying out, how much you can afford to save, and how much you've got to realistically live on - i.e pubs/clubs/gadgets basically pocket money, after everything's paid for. That way, you know what you've got, and because you're putting money away as well, if you get caught out with something that needs paying for.

hope that helps!
    Don't forget the one-offs like car tax, car service that have a habit of stinging you when you least expect it. There are others but I've had a glass of bublly7 stuff and my grey matter isn't working

Thread Information