Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you believe Global Warming is just another stealth tax?

Vampire
    Thanks

Re: Do you believe Global Warming is just another stealth tax?

Quote Originally Posted by IBM View Post
    You do realise that the congestion/emmision charge is already in place, and the number of cars who are elligible for free access to the zone is negligible compared to the total number of cars on the road? And you do realise that people aren't going to all go out and buy Prius because you can get into London for free? And you do realise that the number of cars affected by the new charge is rather more than 'ONE OR TWO'? And do you realise that the use of the caps key is reserved for the slow and the childish who have no other way of conveying an argument effectively?

Nighty Night.
    Its entirely clear to me that you refuse to even consider someone else's point of view and are completely convinced that you are right.

People who had smaller cars before who did not drive into the zone, will do so now. People with the big expensive cars are not going to buy smaller cars, but they are going to continue driving in if they need to do so. This measure will not reduce emission and will increase congestion. It is a cash cow and nothing else.

But explaining all that you was a complete waste of time.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Thanks

Are you a scientist Sinizter, if not then you dont know what your talking about

Vampire
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Are you a scientist Sinizter, if not then you dont know what your talking about
    Are you ? Is IBM ?

And if anyone here is a scientist, are you involved in the research to do with climate change ? If not everyone here is equally qualified. Or maybe we should just shut this thread down as people here lack the scientific qualifications ? Not that scientists are coming out with anything accurate with regard to climate change.

Atleast I have some training to interpret scientific papers and not just take it for granted that newspaper articles are correct.

Thanks
    • godsdog's system
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 204B
      • Internet:
      • UKFSN ..have to check

Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    Are you ? Is IBM ?

And if anyone here is a scientist, are you involved in the research to do with climate change ? If not everyone here is equally qualified. Or maybe we should just shut this thread down as people here lack the scientific qualifications ? Not that scientists are coming out with anything accurate with regard to climate change.

Atleast I have some training to interpret scientific papers and not just take it for granted that newspaper articles are correct.
    Absolutely. Which is why you can only do your best tracking down information from the people in the relevant fields, who are willing to be communicative and neither hysterical nor intransigent. Which is why portals like RealClimate are valuable.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    Are you ? Is IBM ?

you cant say tha the scientists are coming out with inaccurate data unless your a scientist and can prove that they are wrong, or so IBM reckons anyways..

Vampire
    Thanks

you cant say tha the scientists are coming out with inaccurate data unless your a scientist and can prove that they are wrong, or so IBM reckons anyways..
    If the scientist cant take all they know and atleast come up with a model that predicts the current climate more or less accurately, or come up with something which will predict the next 5-10 years worth accurately, anything they come up with is just hypothesis - unproven. I dont want the government grabbing my wallet and stuffing bull**** down my throat based on hypotheses which have not predicted anything with any degree of anything resembling accuracy.

If they cant figure the current few years with all the data at hand, why would their prediction for the next 20-50 years be anything more than guesswork ? Some of the papers on global warming, the data predicted is so inaccurate that I could come with more accurate predictions using a dartboard, a few darts and a blindfold.

For every study which conclusively (very very loosely used) proves this so called warming, there is another which says that there has been none, or three more which says that data is inconclusive.

Even the scientists involved in this dont even have a consensus. Adding a "I believe some global warming is happening" in the beginning or end of the paper when the results of the paper indicate otherwise does not make it more scientifically credible, and only indicates the researcher bias.

I am sorry if I came on too strong with some of the stuff earlier, but been having similar discussion in some other places and this one just happened to be the one where I lost it.

I dont believe the Mayor of London is doing anything to save the planet or improve air quality. The whole exercise just revolves around how to get the most money out of it. While some of this may indeed go back to public transport or environmental causes - the vast majority of it does not. Where does the rest of it go ? And why are we paying out for environmental reasons if the money is not being used as such ?

People who have larger more luxurious cars will just take it on the chin and continue coming in to London when they have to. It would be silly to get rid of the current car and get a new one just to get rid of the charge. People with smaller cars who previously did not come in to London LEZ will now do so much much more readily because they get in for free. End result - increase in congestion. More cars driving around = higher emissions.

As for people driving Prius-es and the like, the car needs to run for 10+ yrs, maybe upto 18 years (I have been unable to verify this) to actually reduce the carbon footprint. Because the production of these cars use more energy and the batteries need to be replaced/reconditioned, etc. How many people drive these around for 10+ years? Fair enough most of them might make it to the 10yr mark through the 2nd hand market. But the majority of them are very unlikely to hit the 18yr mark - if that is what is needed to make it carbon neutral. And if your carbon footprint is not being reduced by using these - then its just an ago massage for environmentalist in you. With no gain for anyone but the manufacturer. Diesels are apparently more efficient in terms of emissions and longer journeys. Again this is not something I have verified personally as the car/environment interface is not something I am particularly interested in.

If the entire UK's cars stopped, the developing Asian countries will take up the slack in a few days. Whats the point of being taxed through the nose if you're not even going to make a ripple ?

Thanks

Yay someone that's saying the same as me, wonder where IBM's gone now, probably gone to beat someone elses head against a wall

People feel good if they pay tax, it makes them feel like there doing something while not actually doing anything about the problem at all...

Thanks
    • Phillikon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • BFG Nforce 680i SLi
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™2 Duo E6850
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ SLI 8500@1T
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb striped set Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTX XXX x2 in SLi / BFG Agiea PhysX card
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy DXx 1000w
      • Case:
      • Enermax Server Case CS-718BK
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2408h 24" HDMI
      • Internet:
      • BT Internet 8Mb Broadband, "so they tell me!"

Yeah, also comical is the fact they want us all to use "spare" CPU cycles to predict this stuff, which in turn uses more power, where is it that the power comes from again?

I am playing Crysis at the moment.

I guess what I am trying to say is I don't have any "Spare" CPU cycles right now.
    Life is like Computing, just when you get it all working properly, Bits need replacing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information