• Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Neovo and 24" LG HD
      • Internet:
      • 50 mb Virgin

Universitys

I took Mikes advice i think it was and spoke to university of bristol about computing science and even tho i will be doing a lvl 3 computer science course in sept and ill be over 21 when i apply to University they would still want me to do a level zero course before hand which is like a year at uni that they teach you how to write essays and get you ready for what you ahve ahead

any1 been on one of these level zero courses?

and any1 else know of any universitys that do computing science (not computer science, trying to get as less programming as possible) or anything hardware based?
    Last edited by Destroyer^; 11-03-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    I5 sandybridge (stock speed atm) - Titan Fehnrir Evo Cooler - 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz - Asus P8P67 Mobo - ASUS GTX480 - 2 x 24" Dual Monitor - NZXT Phantom Case (Sexy as!!) - Coolmaster 700w PSU

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Universitys

"foundation year" courses are quite common, often they cover the basic pre-requisits, for CS, maths, english key skills type stuff, and often a bit of logic.

if you don't want programming, you've got to ask yourself what it is you want to get out of a computing course.

if you want pure logic, you might be more at home with a more formal maths related disapline. If you smoke pot and are tempted by crack, you might consider philosophy (which should have bags of logic).

on the other end of the spectrum, you can do forms of electronic engineering, which will cover all the fun of half adders, and more D-type flipflops than you can shake a stick at.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Havn't been up close and personal with a flipflop in a while.. good old days lol.

In fairness though there is a lot more to computing than just programming.

Systems Analysis, Design Priciples (HCI and the like), Multimedia stuff, networking, all sorts of maths, graphics, 3D.

That said you will find it hard to escape programming completly as it is subtley embedded into the most unlikely modules lol.

I can only speak for Stafford really but computing science here is quite relaxed as to what you pick to study. Best to have a game plan from the start though as level 2 modules with have level 1 pre-requisits as will level 3 have level 2 pre-requisits.

Thanks
    • Magnets's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35 DS3p
      • CPU:
      • E6420
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS2 5400 C4 (2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 7200.10 320gb *2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire x1950xt
      • PSU:
      • Corsair hx520
      • Case:
      • Lian li PC-7 + II
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VP930
      • Internet:
      • Zen

It would be difficult to avoid doing any programming, as TheAnimus said, you can head to the Electronics end, where both fields overlap is at the hardware. I think you probably have to know some basic programming for that though?

Have you ever tried programming? You never know, you might enjoy it

Thanks
    • Destroyer^'s system
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.6ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 1gb geil low latence 800 mhz and 2x2Gb Black Dragon
      • Storage:
      • 250 gb WD 7,200 rpm, 60gb raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 maxcore 216 core
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 530W
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 50 mb Virgin

Well the thing is im good behind a bar and pretty much can do my supervisors job and can be a cellarman but university doesnt have a course for that!

I find that im just generally good with my hands on things... i seam to be pretty good at building computers/electrical stuff havent tried watercooling but i really dont like water being so close to stuff that is electrical and costs alot lol

is electronic engineering close to or similar to hardware/wiring of a pc?

yeah i did a bit of html and java at college last year but really hated it
    Last edited by Destroyer^; 12-03-2008 at 12:19 AM.
    I5 sandybridge (stock speed atm) - Titan Fehnrir Evo Cooler - 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz - Asus P8P67 Mobo - ASUS GTX480 - 2 x 24" Dual Monitor - NZXT Phantom Case (Sexy as!!) - Coolmaster 700w PSU

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

computer/computing science is NOTHING like building PCs.

Sounds to me like you want the EE department. I used to find making complex things out of only NAND gets very soothing at a-level.... Christ i needed some loving then!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Destroyer^'s system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 530W
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 50 mb Virgin

yeah it does seam so but as im 20 and only thing relative to engineering i have is a l2 computer support technician award and if i was to do an engineering ourse at uni would take 2 years so i wouldnt be going to uni till 23... dno what to do really... either do a diff course and spend 2 years or carry on for another year and see if i can get into an EE course with a L3 computer support technician diploma?

Thanks

I'm doing EEE at Strathclyde uni, in 4th year now. It has absolutely nothing to do with building computers I'm afraid. Theres Analogue Electronics Classes, Control Classes, Power Classes, Digital Classes.
    I'm into my micro-controllers so I do alot of classes with those.

Thanks
    • Destroyer^'s system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 530W
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 50 mb Virgin

lol just had alook at some EE courses and that ... really doesnt seam to be something that would intrest me enough to pass lol plus im not too bad at maths but just not really my cup of tea...but makes me even more confused as to what to do... i really want to get somewhere and go to uni but cant find anything that i would be good enough to do lol

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    Havn't been up close and personal with a flipflop in a while.. good old days lol.
    I have good memories from 1st year with the lecturer trying to explain how these work, good old memory register theory
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer^ View Post
    lol just had alook at some EE courses and that ... really doesnt seam to be something that would intrest me enough to pass lol plus im not too bad at maths but just not really my cup of tea...but makes me even more confused as to what to do... i really want to get somewhere and go to uni but cant find anything that i would be good enough to do lol
    Well what do you enjoy? Hobbies and the like?

Also consider (and some will hate me for saying this) that you may not need to go to uni at all for what you may want a job in. There is also some good apprenticeships about at the moment too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post

Also consider (and some will hate me for saying this) that you may not need to go to uni at all for what you may want a job in. There is also some good apprenticeships about at the moment too!
    Why would anyone hate you for saying that? It's sound advice! University costs money, a lot of money, and unless your chosen career requires you attend, it's not worth it.

If you want something that's computer related, have a look at doing your MCSE which focusses on hardware, along with some networking courses (AFAIK there's some good Cisco backed ones). MCSA or MCSE: Which Certification is Right for You? gives you an idea of what the qualifications entail and there are colleges and universitys that offer courses specifically designed to help you achieve those qualifications.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

13. Received thanks from:

Destroyer^ (12-03-2008)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer^ View Post
    ....... i really want to get somewhere and go to uni but cant find anything that i would be good enough to do lol
    Excuse me for saying this if it's unwanted advice, but can I suggest having a good hard think about what you're trying to achieve.

It sounds (and it may be me being mislead) that the objective is to go to Uni, and now you're trying to find a subject. If I were you, I'd think HARD about coming at it from the other direction. That is, what is it you want to do (or at least think you want to do) long-term, and do you need to go to Uni to do it? If so, it'll tell you the subject.

Uni certainly can be great fun, you'll probably meet a lot of people, some of whom will be friends for life. But it's also very hard work, and can be seriously expensive. In addition to the costs incurred and the debt you'll rack up, add in three (or four) years of lost earnings, and the fact that your contemporaries now will have three (or four) years head-start on you in your career, so initially at least, may well be earning more than you do even when you graduate.

It is probably true that, generally speaking, graduates have a higher earning potential and career prospects than non-graduates, but it's by no means universally true, and in my experience, it's also nowhere near as true as it was a few decades back.

While a degree may be mandatory (or nearly so) in many careers (law, accountancy, medicine, engineering, many aspects of science, etc), there are also many careers where either education with a less-formal academic slant (like an apprenticeship) will serve better, or where several years experience will.

And bear this in mind, too. If you want a degree to serve you well, you really need to be aiming to do a lot better than just pass - you need a good grade. And that means you will be spending three (or four) years studying something in considerable detail. It can be hard to maintain focus and enthusiasm for long enough to put in that effort unless the subject matter really interests you. And if you don't put in the effort, you're unlikely to achieve those grades.

In other words, think hard about whether the investment (both in terms of loans incurred and lost earnings, as well as time and effort) is going to generate the results you want. You are, in my view, far, FAR better off finding a subject that really interests you, and that you think leads to a career you'll actually enjoy, than you are in deciding you want to go to Uni for it's own sake and then trying to decide what to do when you go.

Uni can be great fun, and certainly can be a career-booster, but it's my no means always necessary for a rewarding (financially and otherwise) career, and is far from always being the best option.

So my advice (wanted or not ) is to think about it carefully, because if you do decide to go, you are making a rather large and potentially life-altering decision ..... and commitment.

15. Received thanks from:

Destroyer^ (12-03-2008)

Thanks
    • Destroyer^'s system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 530W
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 50 mb Virgin

thanks for your replies specially your MASSIVE one saracen... sometimes im sure that what im doing is right by going back to college then go to uni and do computing science buit then i think and i get worried so i start thinking about what else i can do then the next day i feel back on track but ive even applied to a company in reading where an old best friend is working using CAD so if i get a job with him im gonna move in with him at reading lol but well see

things keep pushing me in cetain directions but i just cant get a final clear thinking of what i want =/

Thanks
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 super
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

Dont waste your time at uni too many poxy degrees I had an IT degree all i got when I went for jobs is you got no experience. You're better off getting into a company then looking at what interests you and take an interest work hard and that would be a million times better for you're chosen career. Its cheaper you wont be in 10 grand debt when you leave.

But if you want a good laugh and piss 3 years up the wall go for it!! If you do that make sure you get a 4 year course with 1 year work placement thats the way to do it. Much easier to get a job because experience is what counts because every muppet has a degree these days.

Hope that is useful

Thanks
    • Destroyer^'s system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 530W
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 50 mb Virgin

yeah thats what i was thinking but on 1 hand i dont feel that im ready to start a career that i want to be doing atm as i feel i havent done alot alot of things but on other days i just want the security of knowing that im in a career that i can go far in... so i kinda aint gonna win watever i do

Thread Information