Thread: Identity Theft

Thanks

Thumbs down Identity Theft

Just thought I would post this see if anyone has had similar experiences before. About a week ago letter came through in the post for my dad from Royal Mail saying that his request for having his mail re-directed had been accepted and would be applied from next week. Totally confused, seeing as he hadn't asked for any re-direction he rang Royal Mail to be told that someone had fraudulently asked for his mail to be re-directed, but their fraud department had picked up on it and cancelled it so to ignore the letter. They would not say anything about how the person did actually manage to provide the identity required to do such a thing and that there was nothing to worry about. He rang the police who pretty much said the same thing, as no fraud had actually taken place there was nothing they could do.

Anyway yesterday what comes through the post, a pin number for a Natwest credit card. He rings them up, turns out someone has applied for a credit card using his identity and again they won't reveal anything on how someone managed to and the card is cancelled. Another 2 came through this morning. He has now apparently been put on some central registry that whenever credit is applied for in his name, it has to be verified by him to prevent this in future. I would find it very worrying though knowing someone is going round with documents that could easily identify that person as me.

Scary stuff, just wondering what other people’s opinions / experiences on this are.

Thanks
    this is why you need to make sure you shred and dispose of sensitive documents with your name, address, credit card numbers bank account numbers etc on them. My mum rakes through all my rubbish, reciepts, envolopes etc, to make sure there's nothing with my signature or numbers on them, then shreds them and takes them to the work incinerator.

Thanks
    Haven't heard that one before - someone who doesn't know too much about the system or they would have realised confirmation by gpo would snooker it. There's some clever cons about at the moment and you're lucky you found out before and not after.

Biggest numpty I heard about was one who got stolw a switch card and used it to put a load of bets on over the phone. Some of the bets came in and the thief was about £300 quid up. Before he could collect it though the card was stopped and he couldn't use it again. Don't think he'd thought it through how he would collect anyway because the winnings went straight into the switch account. It's the only time somebodys had a card nicked and actually made a profit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimo
    He rang the police who pretty much said the same thing, as no fraud had actually taken place there was nothing they could do.
    Thats tosh btw. Just some lazy sod on the phone who couldn't be bothered or didn't know the law. The guy put a re-direct on and applied for credit in your dads name - whether or not he gets anything he's already committed a criminal deception to the credit card companies. The mail would have to get directed elsewhere as well so they could have still done something at that address.

Thanks
    Got to echo what Elmo said. I shred anything that has my name/address on it. Shred all old bank statements and credit card bills etc. In actual fact theres not alot I dont shred Use the shredded paper for either the chickens bedding then it gets burnt, or I start the wood burner with it. The lady thinks i'm like Mel Gibson from 'Conspiracy Theory'....

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    Something happened to my dad in which his identity was cloned, it seems as if this is what has happened in this case. Somehow they have got hold of your documents and are using them to whatever end. If I were you, change your banks and any security questions that you have to get into them. There isn't much one can do unless they catch the person who is using them.

Did Royal Mail confirm where the address was redirected too? If so then they person who ordered the new pin number was waiting for it to go there. Just a thought.

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanderz
    Did Royal Mail confirm where the address was redirected too? If so then they person who ordered the new pin number was waiting for it to go there. Just a thought.
    lets face it, whatever address they provided is likely to be a derelict house or empty property of some description
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    We do shred importent stuff which is why it's so weird that it managed to happen

I know the police could not be assed to do anything before, although in light of the credit card applications I think they need to now. Won't catch the bastards though

Thread Information