Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Kay's Britain's Got the Pop Factor

Registered+
    Thanks

Peter Kay's Britain's Got the Pop Factor

Anyone else watch this?

I usually like Peter Kay and was looking forward to watching this but, I really didn't find it funny.

Thanks

Re: Peter Kay's Britain's Got the Pop Factor

It was pants.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

The results show wan't the funniest but i thought it was a good show for the most part.
    Found the sob stories very funny, although thats mainly as thats exactly the way X Factor works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks

I didn't even consider watching it. It had all the hallmarks of an ITV programme.

There was this blatant assumption that a parody of a hit TV format by featuring Peter Kay would spell instant success. Maybe it did rack up the numbers but, at the end of the day, the joke has been worked over by far more insightful comic talent than someone now known for saying 'Garlic Bread' in a Northern accent and irritating quite a lot of people waiting for The Who.

Whilst I did rather enjoy Phoenix Nights, the man now firmly resides at the level of quality we where subjected to by the Max and Paddy spin-off. I'd almost prefer to watch Two Pints of Lager.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

It was dog kack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks

Absolutely Fantastic.

The attention to detail was amazing in the sets, the soundtrack, the script, everything.

The scene with Sir Paul McCartney playing and singing the Home & Away theme was genius.

Just found out yesterday about "The Winners Song" - that it's made up of parts of every winning song and single release from Pop Idol, and X Factor.

Each to there own in the end, I have never laughed at an episode of The Royle Family.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks

Watched the first part, think i taped the 2nd bit but not overlly fussed if I didn't.
    Mildy amusing, nothing that newspapers/forums/normal conversation hasn't brought up about the whole genre of TV show so I don't think it was original at all.
    Didn't even need Peter Kay in it really, poor show that man!

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I find Peter Kay one of the unfunniest things under the sun and I hate reality tv so a double no to watching this from me.

10. Received thanks from:

dangel (15-10-2008)

Registered+
    Thanks

I watched Phoenix Nights and loved it which is why I was looking forward to this program. I did think Peter Kay was very funny before I watched Britain's Got the Pop Factor.

On a similar theme, I loved Ricky Gervais (sorry if I have misspelt his name) in The Office and Extras but, whenever I have seen him on chat shows and the like, he has been particularly unfunny. I also saw some clips of his live shows and they were awful. He was also on one of those charity concerts (sorry, forgot which one) and he was embarrassingly awful! Just my opinion of course!

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

Peter Kay is not funny, his humour is shallow and he's just annoying. And what's worse is he thinks he's the mutts nuts. The majority of his jokes are just a bit tame really, "ooh eck, thooose northernehs eh?", if you're going to take the mickey out of the North at least do it in style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJr9e...eature=related Take that for instance.. it honestly reminds me of the Extras - the studio audience "rolling around" when the show isn't worth the paper the script's been written on.
    Last edited by Whiternoise; 15-10-2008 at 01:37 AM.

13. Received thanks from:

pollaxe (15-10-2008)

Thanks

He's gone downhill but oh I love the biscuit routine!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whiternoise View Post
    Peter Kay is not funny, his humour is shallow and he's just annoying. And what's worse is he thinks he's the mutts nuts. The majority of his jokes are just a bit tame really, "ooh eck, thooose northernehs eh?", if you're going to take the mickey out of the North at least do it in style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJr9e...eature=related Take that for instance.. it honestly reminds me of the Extras - the studio audience "rolling around" when the show isn't worth the paper the script's been written on.
    I've never been a fan of his stand-up, I don't think it's any better than what you can see in any Northern Working Mens Club. But the observational comedy drama he's produced in That Peter Kay Thing, Phoenix Nights, and the Pop Idol send-up from the weekend is very good. It's a lot more subtle than some of the other similar comedies out there, Phoenix Nights had a layer over the top of it that was a bit more obvious and got it a more mainstream appeal.

I didn't include Max & Paddy because although I thought it was OK it was never aimed to be the same type of show, more on a par with if Ricky Gervais had made an actual series of When the Whistle Blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Mike Fishcake

Someone I know pointed out the fact that they couldn't quite work out whether it was amusing, ironic or hypocritical that Peter Kay, winner of the 1996 City Life Comedian Of The Year competition, was taking the mickey out of people that enter talent contests...

"Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights" (co-written with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice) was good. His standup is mediocre at best... He trod on a lot of toes to get where he is today, but that's a complete other discussion. I don't really see what's funny about a bloke standing on stage and telling me things that I already know.

Also, releasing virtually the same material on DVD three times is an absolutely appalling way to piddle on the fans that have supported you throughout your career. The reviews of the "Stand Up Ukay" DVD on Amazon say it all. There's a llllooootttt of ex-fans on there!!

Another person I know summed up Peter Kay's stand-up comedy material beautifully:

"HEY IDIOTS - HERE'S SOME STUFF YOU'D RECOGNISE!"

*shameless plug alert*
    However, if you are a fan of Peter Kay, and can't wait until he comes up with some new material, you can generate your very own startlingly original comedy at the following page: http://www.teamfishcake.co.uk/peterkay/
    Last edited by Mike Fishcake; 15-10-2008 at 01:43 PM.

17. Received thanks from:

Clunk (15-10-2008),pollaxe (15-10-2008),Powderhound (15-10-2008)

Mike Fishcake

19. Received thanks from:

Clunk (15-10-2008),pollaxe (15-10-2008)

jem
    Thanks

Never knew this was on i do like him,I might have to watch it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information