Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 39

Thread: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

  1. #1
    Filthy old man noTHINGface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    21 times in 20 posts

    Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    My mate has trashed his external HDD and is thinking about sending the disk to one of these recovery outfits. He's spoken with rapid-data.net and is considering sending it off to them. Anyone have any experience with these guys?

    I've read a post on the over-clock forums (found via google) that wasn't too complimentary -> http://www.over-clock.co.uk/ivb/inde...howtopic=20112

    Any of you lot used them? Any recommendations of others?

    Cheers
    Last edited by noTHINGface; 03-04-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: OCuK != over-clock!
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

  2. #2
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEE! MadduckUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lytham St. Annes
    Posts
    17,293
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked
    1,580 times in 1,006 posts
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD 860K @4.45
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (4x4GB) PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Sandisk Extreme / 3x500GB RAID0 / 3GB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 7870XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Galdiator 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Quote Originally Posted by noTHINGface View Post
    I've read a post on the OCuK forums (found via google) that wasn't too complimentary -> http://www.over-clock.co.uk/ivb/inde...howtopic=20112
    i doubt they appreciate being called that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

  3. Received thanks from:

    noTHINGface (03-04-2009)

  4. #3
    Filthy old man noTHINGface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    21 times in 20 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Error - good spot!
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    My experience of rapid-data.net was entirely negative - no recovery of any data, no disk repair, cost £235. My advice is therefore find someone else. I also discovered that Fields Associates are the company who actually do the work (or don't do the work, in my case) so don't use them, either.

  6. Received thanks from:

    noTHINGface (03-04-2009)

  7. #5
    Filthy old man noTHINGface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    21 times in 20 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Cheers boss - That does seem to be the general vibe around rapid-data. I'll suggest that he doesn't ship his disk out to them!
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Quote Originally Posted by khalliday View Post
    My experience of rapid-data.net was entirely negative - no recovery of any data, no disk repair, cost £235. My advice is therefore find someone else. I also discovered that Fields Associates are the company who actually do the work (or don't do the work, in my case) so don't use them, either.

    I'd like to hear from you about how you get on with your case, I've just been caught by this scam myself! Email me at angry_smurfAThotmailDOTcom

  9. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use this company! I have had exactly the same experience as shown in the other thread and, having done a bit of research, have found many others with similar experience. I am now seeing what can be done through trading standards, IT press, etc. etc., to see what can be done about them.

    I guarantee that the process will be:

    1. Send your drive for the 'no data - no fee' service (£97 if they do recover)
    2. They come back and tell you that your problem is too complicated for them to resolve, but their associate company, 'Fields Data Recovery,' has the skills to do this, with an 80% chance of recovery. Note that Fields data also offer a 'no recovery - no fee' service - I wonder if they flip the script if you go that route first???
    3. You hand over your £230 - what real choice do you have?
    4. Communication now goes into a black hole and you spend three weeks chasing them - none of your calls or emails are returned and if you insist on waiting they will leave you on hold until you give up (14 minutes last time I tried)
    5. When you've finally lost it and insist that you are not put on hold, they transfer you to their 'Quality Control Dept', where you speak to someone with no technical knowledge, who says they don't know any more than shown on their screen and that is that the process did not recover any data at all (some 10 days ago!). The reason they quote for this lack of success is exactly the same reason why they told you that Fields needed to be involved in the first place.
    6. As much as you insist, no one calls you back to discuss your complaint and you can't get them to return your drive (which you'd be very interested now to get someone else to look at) or obtain any sight of a technical report (which you have, after all, you have paid £230 for)
    7. They of course rely upon 'success is not guaranteed' line.
    8. You write again and ask for the matter to be passed to a senior manager and that you would like a call to discuss your complaint. They ignore you.

    To be honest I am extremely suspiscious about this company's activities and i would welcome any feedback from other that have had similar experience. Any replies from anyone interested in adding some wait to my complaint will be welcome.

    Something must be done about this. I am angry at myself at allowing myself to be conned in this way. I nearly decided not to pay the money, but thought maybe I was just being paranoid and cynical. How I wish I'd listened to those warning bells; I've now lost all my data and the hard drive itself.

  10. #8
    IBM
    IBM is offline
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    4,187
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked
    244 times in 145 posts
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Does anyone have any recommedations? I've got a trashed disk I'm thinking it's worth sending in....
    sig removed by Zak33

  11. #9
    Salazaar Clone! mediaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,538
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked
    31 times in 29 posts
    • mediaboy's system
      • CPU:
      • Phenom x3 8500
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD3650 512MB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Premium x32
      • Internet:
      • T-Mobile Mobile Broadband

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Loving the spambots.. suspcious anyone?

  12. #10
    NOT Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,905
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked
    278 times in 253 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Quote Originally Posted by mediaboy View Post
    Loving the spambots.. suspcious anyone?
    Nope.. Looks like unhappy customers to me.

  13. #11
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,158
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    1,604 times in 1,043 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    The IPs resolve to normal UK home ranges, so I don't suspect them to be spam bots.

  14. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    orry to hear about your exprience elbi, pretty much exactly what happened to me. Start with Bridgeend trading standards in order to help them build up their case history against this company, although they cannot discuss other complaints against these bunch of con-artists.

    Public Protection Section
    Legal & Regulatory Services
    Bridgend County Borough Council
    Civic Offices
    Angel Street
    Bridgend
    CF31 4WB
    Tel: (01656) 643260
    Fax: (01656) 643247

    publicprotectionATbridgend.gov.uk

    Its important to report your case otherwise more people will get ripped off. I notice on companies house rapid-data and fields are listed at the same address, even though they have to "ship it off to our specialist recovery partners". I cant state my sources but the International Professional Data Recovery Association have a legal case against them, i surprised they are still able to trade.

    regards,

  15. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Quote Originally Posted by elbitrevnoc View Post
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use this company! I have had exactly the same experience as shown in the other thread and, having done a bit of research, have found many others with similar experience. I am now seeing what can be done through trading standards, IT press, etc. etc., to see what can be done about them.

    I guarantee that the process will be:

    1. Send your drive for the 'no data - no fee' service (£97 if they do recover)
    2. They come back and tell you that your problem is too complicated for them to resolve, but their associate company, 'Fields Data Recovery,' has the skills to do this, with an 80% chance of recovery. Note that Fields data also offer a 'no recovery - no fee' service - I wonder if they flip the script if you go that route first???
    3. You hand over your £230 - what real choice do you have?
    4. Communication now goes into a black hole and you spend three weeks chasing them - none of your calls or emails are returned and if you insist on waiting they will leave you on hold until you give up (14 minutes last time I tried)
    5. When you've finally lost it and insist that you are not put on hold, they transfer you to their 'Quality Control Dept', where you speak to someone with no technical knowledge, who says they don't know any more than shown on their screen and that is that the process did not recover any data at all (some 10 days ago!). The reason they quote for this lack of success is exactly the same reason why they told you that Fields needed to be involved in the first place.
    6. As much as you insist, no one calls you back to discuss your complaint and you can't get them to return your drive (which you'd be very interested now to get someone else to look at) or obtain any sight of a technical report (which you have, after all, you have paid £230 for)
    7. They of course rely upon 'success is not guaranteed' line.
    8. You write again and ask for the matter to be passed to a senior manager and that you would like a call to discuss your complaint. They ignore you.

    To be honest I am extremely suspiscious about this company's activities and i would welcome any feedback from other that have had similar experience. Any replies from anyone interested in adding some wait to my complaint will be welcome.

    Something must be done about this. I am angry at myself at allowing myself to be conned in this way. I nearly decided not to pay the money, but thought maybe I was just being paranoid and cynical. How I wish I'd listened to those warning bells; I've now lost all my data and the hard drive itself.
    please see my comment

  16. #14
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    6,807
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked
    221 times in 173 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    I can reccomend a good company for those having issues - http://www.datawreck.co.uk/

    These guys were in the same building as me & my company last year (before we moved out) - actually started up at the same time as us Friendly guys who know what they are doing - not sure what their prices are like compared to the likes of rapid data but they are trustworthy..one of my colleagues has used them a few times, usually to get data off his broken usb sticks though.

    I don't have any personal/business link with them though, its just a friendly reccomendation

  17. #15
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,158
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    1,604 times in 1,043 posts

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I can reccomend a good company for those having issues - http://www.datawreck.co.uk/

    These guys were in the same building as me & my company last year (before we moved out) - actually started up at the same time as us Friendly guys who know what they are doing - not sure what their prices are like compared to the likes of rapid data but they are trustworthy..one of my colleagues has used them a few times, usually to get data off his broken usb sticks though.

    I don't have any personal/business link with them though, its just a friendly reccomendation
    I met one of the guys who runs this the other week (looked a bit like Dr Who) and he was a nice guy

  18. #16
    Mike Fishcake
    Guest

    Re: Anyone used Rapid Data Recovery (rapid-data.net)

    http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk/ - Very expensive, but very trustworthy. If they can't get it off, no one can.

    http://www.disklabs.com/data-recovery/data-recovery.asp - I know a few people who have used these, and vouch for their quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is data recovery possible? Intel Matrix Raid failure
    By mroz in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 20-12-2011, 03:41 AM
  2. Ontrack Data Recovery - Media Won't Play!
    By wilksj01 in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 08:53 AM
  3. Free Data Recovery Software
    By muddyfox470 in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 02:22 PM
  4. Data Recovery Software?
    By PeteSmith in forum Software
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 03:46 PM
  5. Data Recovery
    By LayZeh in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 11:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •