Thread: Cancelling Ameda gym membership - easy escape?

Thanks

Question Cancelling Ameda gym membership - easy escape?

My missus needs to cancel her gym membership with Ameda since she's relocating. We expected a one months notice but they want a full quarter. Is there a way to avoid this notice period? I suggested closing the direct debit and notify them and request paper invoices for the remaining months - perhaps that would be enough to piss them off? Any ideas?
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Thanks

Re: Cancelling Ameda gym membership - easy escape?

Quote Originally Posted by noTHINGface View Post
    My missus needs to cancel her gym membership with Ameda since she's relocating. We expected a one months notice but they want a full quarter. Is there a way to avoid this notice period? I suggested closing the direct debit and notify them and request paper invoices for the remaining months - perhaps that would be enough to piss them off? Any ideas?
    This is really annoying but no doubt in the small print. You may have to pay if your idea doesn't have the desired affect. I'd still make sure to close the DD when your contract closes as subscription deductions after contract closure are not unknown.

You could drop 'em a line and say your wife may re-join at some time but that the punitive cancellation fee is off-putting; they may waive it as a possible future investment - even if she really has no intention of going back .

Get your cancellation date confirmed in writing.
    Last edited by santa claus; 30-08-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks

I've been looking at joining gyms and looked up some reviews online. It seems like most gyms are getting pretty bad reviews because of their cancellation policies (always read the small prints in the future). And it it also seems that many of them are very gung ho about sending the debt collectors over perceived missed payment so I'd advise against cancelling the direct debit if that is how you are contractually agreed to pay (until the agreed cancellation date).

Thanks

I cancelled my membership with Fitness First a few years ago - when I went to give my pass in at the desk they said I needed to return to the gym where I joined (I'd since moved) to make an appointment to discuss my cancellation ....so I told them that I wouldn't be doing that and cancelled the direct debit. They phoned me a couple of times, but that was it. I'd be very surprised if any gym took any serious action over a cancelled membership with no notice, TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks

Cheers all! I didn't think that there was much that she could do really, gyms are indeed famous for this type of behaviours. I'll certainly make sure that she gets the cancellation date in writing - that's a good point, I'll also get her to call them up, explain that her bank account has been moved and they will have to invoice her direct for the remaining payments. Short of that I guess there's nothing more that she can do.

Thanks

check here at gymmembership. org/how-to-cancel-a-gym-membership-contract/

Quote Originally Posted by noTHINGface View Post

Thanks

I think a lot of contracts can be cancelled just by stopping the direct debit

Thanks
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)

Quote Originally Posted by Norky View Post
    they can but surely thats breaking the contract you agreed to i.e 12 months and they could possibly take action against you?

but i suppose they wouldnt be bothered in the slightest

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

No, no they can't at all! What you *can* do is cancel the Direct debit, and then they have to take you to court to get their money back. In court you can try and argue that the 3 month notice period constitutes an unfair term.

Whether or not you'd win I don't know, but it's entirely possible they won't bother. If debt collectors turn up, remember if you don't let them in, they can't do a lot without a court warrent.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I would say that will ONLY be the case if the contract you've signed says it is.

The thing about contracts is that they are just that, legally binding contracts. Unless there's something in it that renders it legally unenforceable, then you can and often will be held to it.

If you just cancel the direct debit, it doesn't cancel the contract, or that you'd owe money for the duration of the contract. If the contract has a notice period or minimum term, then again, unless either the contract itself provides an escape clause, or some part of it is so onerous as to be deemed unfair and unenforceable, that minimum term and notice period will be enforceable.

If you cancel and move away, you risk having a large bill accrue because you haven't cancelled the membership, and if the gym can't track you it could be a year or two later than you start getting debt collectors chasing you, with the risk of legal action to enforce not only the original debt but the collector's fees and costs. And you also risk getting your credit record damaged which, if you currently have a clean credit record, is not a good thing especially in the current climate.

My advice .... do NOT bury your head in the sand over this. Contracts are enforceable, though the are statutory limitations on that. Cancel it, make sure you have (and keep) written records of the cancellation for several years) .... and that doesn't just apply to gym memberships, but to things like mobile phone contracts too. If you don't, you can be letting yourself in for a world of hassle and aggravation.

As for cancelling the DD and paying manually, I can't see why not, but if you are obliged to pay, make sure you do unless you can find a legal way out, it it'll likely end up costing a lot more in the long run.

The BIG lesson from all this .... with any contract, but especially things like gym contracts, read the damn things carefully before you sign up because you can and often will be expected to fulfil what you agree to .

Check minimum terms, notice periods, etc, before signing. And check carefully. And keep a written copy. Do NOT take a sales person's word for it that "it won't be a problem", or that you can cancel "any time". They very likely don't have authority to vary the contract, and even if they do, you'd be hard [pushed to prove they did.

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

Saracen, as usual you have great advise to give, however I would disagree with you to be honest. The fact is, 3 months is likely to be what they can chase you for as that is the cancellation fee and canceling the DD would count as cancellation. I really can't imagine 3 months worth of gym membership would really warrant the investment in time and money to track you down.

Fair enough I am probably a little more gung ho than some, but if it were me I would cancel the DD and drop them an letter letting them know I had cancelled then, they could chase me for it. Bottom line is I wouldn't feel guilty as you paid for what you used and those 3 months you are not gonna use so why the hell should you pay? Worst case scenario is they track you down and you pay up plus court costs, but I think it would be very unlikely.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks

... Since it was my thread I guess I should mention that we wrote to the gym back in August a couple of times and gained agreement that the contract membership would be canceled.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

*reported*...

edit: who deleted it before i hit the report button? :'(
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Seeing as it's done & dusted, and seems to attract spam I'm locking it down.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thread Information