Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping.

Thanks

Sleeping.

OMFG, how hard is sleeping?

I used to be good at it, could do it in my sleep, I was that good, but just lately my brain aint playing ball.

My sleep pattern was off by a good few hours, so over the weekend I decided to sort it out. I was dog tired by about 4:30 in the afternoon, but I forced myself to stay up, and was awake till about 12:30am. By this time I'd been up about 20 hours, so I fall asleep...

3 and a half hours later I wake up, still cream crackered, but couldn't get back to sleep. Took my hours to get back to sleep, and I drag myself out of bed about 1:15pm on Saturday to watch the Man U - Arsenal match.

About 4:40pm I'm dog tired again, but it's too early to go to sleep, so again I manage to stay up till about 2:30am, watching Match of the Day, a bit of the Eurovision Song Contest to mock it, etc.

On both occasions, I was, for some reason, less tired at 12am than I was at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Then at 2:30am I fall asleep again, and again I only sleep for about 3-3 and a half hours, and am awake at 6:15am Sunday morning.

I try to get to sleep, but can't, and it's about 12 noon before I fall asleep.

Now, typically, after falling asleep twice at the perfect time for a good 9 hour kip and waking up after 3-4 hours, I now sleep for 9 hours, when i could have done with 3 or 4! I wake up at something stupid like 9pm Sunday night, by now not really sure if I'm tired or not.

About 3am this morning I get to sleep, and woke up at 6:30am, and right now I'm not exactly full of energy.

So:

When I could do with 9 hours sleep, I wake up after 3 and can't get back to sleep. Why?

When I could do with a 3 hour nap, I sleep for 9 hours, sometimes all day if it's the weekend, although only recently, and only if I'm actively trying to sort my sleep pattern out. Why?

Why am I dog tired at 4:30 in the afternoon, but less tired at 2am in the morning? I seem to get an unwanted 2nd wind.

How can I be up for 20 hours, then wake up after 3 hours sleep and not be able to get back to sleep?

What are your sleeping tips?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Sleeping.

Sleeping... tips?

On another note, does anyone have any good ideas on how I can improve my respiration and breathing? Do you breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, or?

Any advice would be appreciated.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Don't fight it
    I've been like that for years, I just try & sleep as & when. We're all Hexus.Insomniacs Agent's another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Sleeping... tips?

On another note, does anyone have any good ideas on how I can improve my respiration and breathing? Do you breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, or?

I always found it doesn't matter as long as your lungs are efficient, i.e. you're fit.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

its probably your diet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

5. Received thanks from:

Funkstar (18-05-2009)

Thanks

Sleeping... tips?

Advice on pre-sleeping routines, etc.

Just because you don't understand the question, this is no reason to try, and indeed fail, to post a funny \ clever response.

You'll usually make a fool of yourself when someone has to explain it to you... like this.

Madduck has the same problem, although his problem is he thinks he is funny all the time, but never actually is.
    Last edited by Tzarbo; 18-05-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    Don't fight it
    I've been like that for years, I just try & sleep as & when. We're all Hexus.Insomniacs Agent's another one.

I always found it doesn't matter as long as your lungs are efficient, i.e. you're fit.
    Yeah, I know Ade has issues with sleeping, we've spoken about it. His is a medical thing though I think, something diagnosed, mine is temporary.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

I always sleep sounder after good exercise. A good run or some time on the punchbag, or some hankypanky or whatever, a shower & then straight to bed & I might get 5 - 6 hours kip if i'm lucky.

Mine is AADD (adult attention deficit disorder) + other things You can adjust if you work with it.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks

Coincidentally I just finished watching a bbc program about sleep, it's available on the iplayer

10 Things You Need to Know About Sleep

Contains several techniques for improving your sleep. I'm a terrible sleeper and have been all my like so will be giving some of them a try. Although I'm fairly sure I compound my problems with my daily 6 or so caffeinated beverages. Though I love coffee it seems it might be a choice of coffee vs. sleep ultimately.

Thanks

Cheers peeps.

Good thing about HEXUS, for every unfunny nob, there's always 5 people with some good advice.

I'll see if I can find the TV prog and have a look at it.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tzarbo View Post
    Advice on pre-sleeping routines, etc.

Just because you don't understand the question, this is no reason to try, and indeed fail, to post a funny \ clever response.

You'll usually make a fool of yourself when someone has to explain it to you... like this.

Madduck has the same problem, although his problem is he thinks he is funny all the time, but never actually is.
    Stop eating so much sugar, be it in brews, energy drinks, crappy foods, whatever...
    Do something physical which will tire you out in the day if you usually sit on your arse for most of it.
    Get your body into a regular sleeping pattern, staying in bed until the afternoon on the weekend won't help.

Now, learn to take some light hearted humour and step down from your high horse.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have had sleep problems for years. Only bits of advice I can give are these:

1. Go to bed at the same time every night as much as possible.

2. Get up at the same time every morning regardless of what time you go to bed. Even at weekends.

3. Eat/Drink as little as possible for 4 hours before going to bed. Not just alcohol but all drinks other than hot milk or something and (if you want to) a lettuce sandwich just before going to bed. There are chemicals in bread and lettuce that aid in making you feel drowsy.

4. Give up caffeine. This one is tough but if you drink coffee find a coffee substitute instead (like organic chickory). Avoid decaf as the chemicals used to decaffeinate outweigh the advantages of the lower caffeine. Remember that caffeine is also found in things like chocolate, etc.

5. Get a copy of "Desperately Seeking Snoozin". A great book for those with insomnia.

Thanks

Stop eating so much sugar, be it in brews, energy drinks, crappy foods, whatever...
    Sugar isn't a problem, I have little of it in my diet. I don't have sugar in tea.

Do something physical which will tire you out in the day if you usually sit on your arse for most of it.
    Get your body into a regular sleeping pattern, staying in bed until the afternoon on the weekend won't help.
    That's sort of the point - I am trying not to, but my sleep pattern makes it difficult.

Now, learn to take some light hearted humour and step down from your high horse.
    I'm tired, do not trouble me with your light hearted humour.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tzarbo View Post
    I'm tired, do not trouble me with your light hearted humour.
    Yes sir.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    Mine is AADD (adult attention deficit disorder) + other things You can adjust if you work with it.
    Everything has to have a name, doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnster
    I have had sleep problems for years. Only bits of advice I can give are these:

1. Go to bed at the same time every night as much as possible.

2. Get up at the same time every morning regardless of what time you go to bed. Even at weekends.

3. Eat/Drink as little as possible for 4 hours before going to bed. Not just alcohol but all drinks other than hot milk or something and (if you want to) a lettuce sandwich just before going to bed. There are chemicals in bread and lettuce that aid in making you feel drowsy.

4. Give up caffeine. This one is tough but if you drink coffee find a coffee substitute instead (like organic chickory). Avoid decaf as the chemicals used to decaffeinate outweigh the advantages of the lower caffeine. Remember that caffeine is also found in things like chocolate, etc.

5. Get a copy of "Desperately Seeking Snoozin". A great book for those with insomnia.
    All good stuff, I'll give it a try.

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

are Everton keeping you awake, Tzarbo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matty-hodgson View Post
    are Everton keeping you awake, Tzarbo?
    Perhaps the night before the FA Cup final, but not at the moment.

Thread Information