Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bring back Corporal Punishment

Thanks

Re: Bring back Corporal Punishment

According to the Mirror a 2Kg weight was used (it was a physics lesson). If he had that in his hand the damage could have been much worse than just a fist.

Surely if he just 'lost it' it would be manslaughter...

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    1. If they spill your pint.
    2. If they doink your Mrs.
    3. If they beat you at Mario Kart Wii

There's 3 easy ones
    LOL mario cart Wii.....or cod4 for that matter

anyway i totaly support the teacher, the youth these days are complete brats and they know that they cant be touched, so they think they can get away with anything they want. I think the teacher should get off with no more than a warning.

And im all for bringing back the Corporal punishment. Saying that im 18 my self. TBH the punishment will only affect few people. Youth who are good wont be punished anyway, but its just exactly the same youth (i prefere to say chavs) who get away with it all the time. what is the point iff excluding them/lines/detentions etc, if the parents dont care then neither will the kids
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Georgy291 View Post
    ...anyway i totaly support the teacher, the youth these days are complete brats and they know that they cant be touched, so they think they can get away with anything they want. I think the teacher should get off with no more than a warning.
    So when you next step out of line at school (assuming you're still at school), you fully welcome your teacher coming at you with a lump of iron as a resolution?

"Hey Mr Teacher, well done for beating that 14 year old boy round the head with a 2 kilo weight, have a pat on the back and lets make sure you're recognised for your services to teachering"

I always thought that if you're an adult, the rule is you don't hit women or other people's children.

Yes something needs to be done, but I don't think this teacher fully worked out the downsides to his methods.
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

I cannot fathom how anyone can think that hitting people will help improve behaviour. Hitting people is the kind of thing we want to stamp out, not encourage as a means of control.

Ultimately, if children act up, the teachers should simply remove them from the class and leave it at that.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    Hitting people is the kind of thing we want to stamp out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    TooNice,
    to be blunt i think it's just unfortunate, I don't think it was pre-meditated murder. I think the kids pushed him too far and he hit out. Like I said it was just unfortunate - the kid probably deserved it I'm thinking.
    If he'd just lashed out with a hand or fist maybe. But in this case he picked up a 2 Kg Weight and hit the kids head and tried to hit again when the kid was already down. Two other pupils tried to drag the teacher away and that's when he turned on them although I don't think their injuries were serious. It may be diminished responsibility though as it seems this teacher was already suffering psychological/stress problems and I think this was a genuine serious psychological break and if the teacher was at that point then it probably didn't need very much to trigger it anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post

Ultimately, if children act up, the teachers should simply remove them from the class and leave it at that.
    Really? So they'll learn from their mistakes just because you've removed them from the class? They'll just laugh at you. How about telling their parents do you think they will care? We're in a society now where the minority get away with so much that there are no controls in place to stop them. The majority just sit there and take it or avoid it. There is no longer a line that you must not cross as there is nothing to enforce it.

This year already I know of 4 teachers how have quit the profession, due to the disruptiveness of pupils and these are not just newly qualified ones either.

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I'm 29 but we had corporal punishment when I was at school. At the time I was really against it, but in hindsight it was rarely used and its' mere existence did actually work. There was a lot more discipline and respect of teachers before corporal punishment was taken away in my school.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    Really? So they'll learn from their mistakes just because you've removed them from the class? They'll just laugh at you. How about telling their parents do you think they will care? We're in a society now where the minority get away with so much that there are no controls in place to stop them. The majority just sit there and take it or avoid it. There is no longer a line that you must not cross as there is nothing to enforce it.

This year already I know of 4 teachers how have quit the profession, due to the disruptiveness of pupils and these are not just newly qualified ones either.

Most of the teachers/ex-teachers I know get sick and tired of the disruptiveness because they feel alone and unsupported. The general perception is that they aren't respected for what they're doing and have no control of things. It's like many jobs, if you feel like you have no control over your workload or working environment, you get stressed.

Give teachers the authority to deal with trouble makers, instead of giving in when a parent complains about the way such and such talked to their precious little darling. Kids just need to learn that they don't have rights per se, only privilages and responsibilities.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    "Hey Mr Teacher, well done for beating that 14 year old boy round the head with a 2 kilo weight, have a pat on the back and lets make sure you're recognised for your services to teachering"
    I don't get that either. Teachers should be role models. And here we have one who is showing the youth today that beating the crap of the a boy when as an adult is the way to earn respect. After all, all boys are troublemakers and (some people on) the internet will support you regardless of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyV9
    Violence will result in more violence and it will turn into a battlefield of kids Vs teachers.
    That must've taken a bit of imagination. I've not read any report of the teacher receiving retaliatory threats from this boy's classmates. All that's been reported so far, is that there are people wishing the boy to get well, and people supporting the teacher online. I am sure that if there was the slightest of animosity between the two sides, that the media would've taken the opportunity to blow it out of proportion.

@Smelly: I am not against giving teachers more right to discipline the kids if needed. At least you've accepted that shooting is 'rather extreme', so perhaps you do have a line drawn somewhere. Notice as well, that I have never said that no force should ever be used at any point (in regard to the earlier statement: 'TooNice and others like you with similar attitudes that violence never solves a problem'). However, the force employed should be appropriate for the situation.

From the sound of it though, that boy could have died. The end result is not too far from just shooting them in a non vital area. It's just not an appropriate use of force, unless in the most extreme instances.

You mentioned tasers. Now remind me again when police typically use a taser for? Probably not simply because someone is being disruptive in the public (without being violent).

In grew up in an environment where the cane was already abolished, but smacking was not. The idea is not to induce physical pain to disable the student (causing the brain to bleed is one way to do that), unless that's your idea of teaching. In my days, being asked to leave the class would actually be shame inducing, and yes it did work as a deterrent. You claim that it doesn't now, and I am not sure if I can buy that, but if that is the case, then we need to figure out how to make them *think* that it is not to be taken lightly. Given that act of leaving the class when asked still showed the student is not that 'big' or 'cool', having to submit to the teacher - so even if those who tried to laugh were annoyed, shamed on the inside (or at the very least, very bored, since they are just locked in an empty classroom with nothing to do - the teacher ensured that they do not bring anything to play with). Smacking (but not so hard as to cause severe damage) was used in more severe cases, for the example if the student actually refuses to leave, and yes, that normally did the trick (and no, it did not spark a war between teachers and students).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    I don't get that either. Teachers should be role models. And here we have one who is showing the youth today that beating the crap of the a boy when as an adult is the way to earn respect. After all, all boys are troublemakers and (some people on) the internet will support you regardless of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyV9
    Violence will result in more violence and it will turn into a battlefield of kids Vs teachers.
    I've not read any report of the teacher receiving retaliatory threats from this boy's classmates. All that's been reported so far, is that there are people wishing the boy to get well, and people supporting the teacher online. I am sure that if there was the slightest of animosity between the two sides, that the media would've taken the opportunity to blow it out of proportion. I am not saying they are all saints, but I question the thought that there are enough bad eggs to even start any sorts of escalating large scale violence.

@Smelly: I am not against giving teachers more right to discipline the kids if needed. At least you've accepted that shooting is 'rather extreme', so perhaps you do have a line drawn somewhere. Notice as well, that I have never said that no force should ever be used at any point (in regard to the earlier statement: 'TooNice and others like you with similar attitudes that violence never solves a problem'). However, the force employed should be appropriate for the situation.

From the sound of it though, that boy could have died. The end result is not too far from just shooting them in a non vital area. It's just not an appropriate use of force, unless in the most extreme instances (it's still unclear what the boy did, but it would've been mentioned if he was being violent). You mentioned tasers. Now remind me again when police typically use a taser for? Probably not simply because someone is being disruptive (without being violent).

In grew up in an environment where the cane was already abolished, but smacking was not. The idea is not to induce physical pain to disable the student (causing the brain to bleed is one way to do that), unless that's your idea of teaching. In my days, being asked to leave the class would actually be shame inducing, and yes it did work as a deterrent. You claim that it doesn't now, and I am not sure if I can buy that, but if that is the case, then we need to figure out how to make them *think* that it is not to be taken lightly. Given that act of leaving the class when asked still showed the student is not that 'big' or 'cool', having to submit to the teacher - so even if those who tried to laugh were annoyed, shamed on the inside (or at the very least, very bored, since they are just locked in an empty classroom with nothing to do - the teacher ensured that they do not bring anything to play with). Smacking (but not so hard as to cause severe damage) was used in more severe cases, for the example if the student actually refuses to leave, and yes, that normally did the trick (and no, it did not spark a war between teachers and students).

Senior Lurker
    Thanks
    • Englander's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5-6500
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 38Mb/2Mb

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    In my days, being asked to leave the class would actually be shame inducing, and yes it did work as a deterrent. You claim that it doesn't now, and I am not sure if I can buy that, but if that is the case...
    I just wanted to say that at least in my school (which is a very good school, so I dare say it's even truer in the case of bad schools), getting sent out of the class achieves absolutely nothing and actually just gives the student a free pass to do nothing for the rest of the lesson.

In my opinion, some sort of physical punishment should be allowed to ensure order and discipline. At least it would make the real troublemakers think twice before annoying everyone.

Thanks

TooNice, you quoted me speaking against using violence and bringing back corpral punnishment.

You are not reading my POSTs right.

And to remind you some kids cary knifes and will not think twice about using them.
    Last edited by CaseyV9; 14-07-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks

Just to double check, I went back to your post, and understood it fine. I just don't think that there would be an escalating violence (though I do agree that it's not a free pass to use unnecessary force).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information