Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving Money

mmh
    Thanks

Re: Saving Money

Quote Originally Posted by glutamate View Post
    Personally I would never spend lots on having a car.

But then, I like in the UK, and I've heard that it's damn near impossible to get around with out a car in the US. Here we're all clumped together, but since the USA has had cars for much more of its development, the cities have evolved with cars in mind.
    Los Angeles its almost impossible to travel around without a car... Granted i didnt use the public system when i went over, only taxis... but the metro line is VERY small considering the size of LA, and to get from say, west hollywood (where i was staying) to Long Beach, you HAVE to go through Compton.... now i dunno about you, but being a nerdy caucasian english guy, i didnt really want to travel on that line...

in the US, it was a big plot to make public transport rubbish by the good ole folks at GM back in the 1920's... obviously with the oil farms in california the oil companies were up for making people buy cars too! [source]
    : RFNX Ste | : stegough | www.stegough.com

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

I also find it immoral to be going to food banks whilst saving up for a BMW, why not just buy a cheaper car, something you can actually afford? I find it shallow that some people’s goal in life is just to own a flashy car, especially when they can’t afford it, I cant help but laugh at people around here in South London living in a run down council estate with thier 09 Range Rover parked outside.

One thing I would not cut back is on food, I don’t buy that expensive rip off Waitrose food, but I make sure I get some quality food, what you eat makes a difference to your well being and overall health, I avoid cheap processed food, if it means I have to cut back on my Sky package or telephone bill, so be it.

I cycle to work, saving me £80 a month on travel, and not to mention all the health benefits that come with it, I don’t own a car out of choice, I could buy one, but I don’t REALLY need it, most of my friends have cars, but they don’t REALLY need it either, they thought they needed it, but they only drive it on weekends when they go out, and most weekends they will leave it home so they can have a drink.

Transport is great in Central London, I know its not like that everywhere around the world, but how about cutting back on some luxuries, food shouldn’t be a luxury, watches, cars and electronics are, just live within your means.

Anyway, I’m babbling on.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeludedGuy View Post
    One thing I would not cut back is on food, I don’t buy that expensive rip off Waitrose food, but I make sure I get some quality food, what you eat makes a difference to your well being and overall health, I avoid cheap processed food, if it means I have to cut back on my Sky package or telephone bill, so be it.
    at the risk of going OT, and not making the OP feel guilty, and missing the opportunity to demonise the BMW owners club (which I've been toying with the notion of doing)...

Waitrose food isn't always a rip off. Most supermarkets charge over the odds for fresh fruit + veg, and a hell of a lot over the odds for the meat.

But waitrose isn't always more expensive, things like challots are actually cheaper than at my tesco. Tim harford in his very easy reading book the undercover economist explains this phenominon quite well!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    But waitrose isn't always more expensive, things like challots are actually cheaper than at my tesco. Tim harford in his very easy reading book the undercover economist explains this phenominon quite well!
    Thats the guy! I remembered you saying someone had written this up before, but I couldn't remember who. I think I'll need to get a copy of that.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    at the risk of going OT, and not making the OP feel guilty, and missing the opportunity to demonise the BMW owners club (which I've been toying with the notion of doing)...

Waitrose food isn't always a rip off. Most supermarkets charge over the odds for fresh fruit + veg, and a hell of a lot over the odds for the meat.

Yes, ofcourse, some things are always cheaper, it was just an example; I dont buy my meat or fish from supermarkets, I go directly to the meat and fish markets in the morning, where I know what i'm buying, and I buy in small bulks.

I guess thats another tip for you guys on how to save money, only down side is you have to wake up very early to get to these markets before all the good stuff is gone.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by DeludedGuy View Post
    It's all about the average basket (or trolley) for that supermarket. I would bet that an average Waitrose basket would be more expensive in Tesco and Asda, simply because items that are staples for a Waitrose shopper are luxury/speciality items in Tesco and Asda so command a price premium from those supermarkets. You also have to take quality into account.

Don't discount waitrose bacause of their reputation, they are an incredibly good supermarket... if you fit their target market I just wish we have one up here.

Thanks

We do our bi-weekly shop with Ocado and it actually saves us money when compared to going to Tesco. You just don't impulse buy at all! It also means that you don't buy bad things like biccies and chocolate.
    Not around too often!

Thanks
    • M0nkeyb0Y's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI DK X58 T3 eH6
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Boot: Intel SSD (80gb); + >3Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ati 5870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w modular
      • Case:
      • see thread in my sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC EA 231wmi
      • Internet:
      • 16MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Don't discount waitrose bacause of their reputation, they are an incredibly good supermarket... if you fit their target market I just wish we have one up here.
    Waitrose are fantastic... I very rarely have had anything go bad before I've used it (even if it's a fair way passed its sell-by date), whereas stuff I have from Tesco/Sainsbury's is often beyond use the day/day after its sell-by date. The "big three" often have ridiculous multi-buy offers on perishable goods, which can lead to plenty of waste in my experience.

Getting back on topic, a money saving tip from me:
    I'm lucky enough to have a garden, of which I've apportioned the majority to growing fruit and vegetables. I don't bother with onions or potatos, as they only cost a couple of quid for massive sacks at the supermarket. I primarily grow all sorts of beans, carrots, parsnips, salad, and shallots - it makes a weekly shop very cheap, as I'm fortunate enough to have parents-in-law with a small holding so usually have a freezer full of meat.

It's also very easy to get kids to eat a healthy meal if they helped plant/grow/pick the veggies.

Also I'm getting into homebrew, as I have a bottle or two of real-ale a night, it could save me a packet (£15 for 40 pints).

Thanks
    • M0nkeyb0Y's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI DK X58 T3 eH6
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Boot: Intel SSD (80gb); + >3Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ati 5870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w modular
      • Case:
      • see thread in my sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC EA 231wmi
      • Internet:
      • 16MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by menthel View Post
    We do our bi-weekly shop with Ocado and it actually saves us money when compared to going to Tesco. You just don't impulse buy at all! It also means that you don't buy bad things like biccies and chocolate.
    I do this as well, another tip is sign up to a couple of online supermarkets, and after a few weeks of inactivity they try and tempt you back with a 15% off voucher, which can make a fair old difference.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    It's all about the average basket (or trolley) for that supermarket. I would bet that an average Waitrose basket would be more expensive in Tesco and Asda, simply because items that are staples for a Waitrose shopper are luxury/speciality items in Tesco and Asda so command a price premium from those supermarkets. You also have to take quality into account.

Check out his blog:
    http://blogs.ft.com/undercover/

Its really nice because he applies economic theories to everyday things, often in quite an amusing way.

The thing is a good a understanding of how to view things economically can allow you to optomise better (ie save money).
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

11. Received thanks from:

Funkstar (03-08-2009)

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

I find the new Waitrose "Essentials" range very good value for money, but in truth the main reason I shop there is that the store is 400m from where I live and the staff are really nice. There's no getting away from the fact it is still more expensive than most other supermarkets, but I think the quality of their own-brand products makes up for it.

In terms of saving money, I find that cutting back on the booze makes a massive difference. That and cycling to work (although Shimano XT bike parts aren't cheap!).

LWA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    isn't going to the food bank so you can save for a BMW a little immoral?
    I'm glad you said this Jay as it was exactly what I was thinking when I read TeePee's opening post...

I guess it's down to peoples conscience - I myself could not justify saving for a BMW (or any other expensive item) by taking away from people who possibly cannot even afford food.

Shocked tbh.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb

Just be sure sure to do the shopping on a full stomach, online or in store

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

quality post. I'm not gonna knock teepee for saving money. Going to a food bank to take something is his perogative. If he got there and it was a queue of homeless vagrants, and the food was short I have a feeling he'd turn around and go buy some that day.
    To save money is easy.

Don't buy what you don't need in expensive places. Don't buy coffee at service stations, don't buy cans of coke, carry a bottle of tap water in your car. Don't pay 60p for a packet of crisps... but a 6 pack in the supermarket and put them in your car.

But the best way to save money is to SWITCH OFF ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES AT THE WALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    But the best way to save money is to SWITCH OFF ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES AT THE WALL.
    I have tried this so many times but the wife just keeps on turning them all back on and leaving them on. On an unrelated note, its even worse that she never shuts the slidey door for the downstairs toilet. Its a very nice toilet but I don't want to see it every time I walk to the kitchen!
    Not around too often!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I have tried this so many times but the wife just keeps on turning them all back on and leaving them on. On an unrelated note, its even worse that she never shuts the slidey door for the downstairs toilet. Its a very nice toilet but I don't want to see it every time I walk to the kitchen!
    ah...I'm opposite. I leave the door open and Sair shouts at me.. while leaving things on at the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thread Information