Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I became a victim today.

Thanks

I became a victim today.

Well i woke up this morning to find that some little pikey had stolen my car. Yes the car was a Mk1 Corsa, old, body work was battered but my god was it reliable. Never broken down, nothing had broken with only the usual wear and tear items. There is nothing much that the police can do apart from black list the car, and the insurance company have been informed so await their valuation with baited breath. I know its not worth much, but it all counts towards a replacement sometime next year.

So for the next 6 months or so i've decided that i will do without a car. Was about to get a new bike on the Cycle-to-work scheme, so now i just have to buy some over trousers and away i go. The biggest issue i'm going to face is adjusting, was going to visit my niece this weekend for her 1st birthday but that is a no go. Plus no fishing, which will hurt me more than anything else

On the upside, i don't have to pay Mr Brown vast amounts of fuel tax, and i'll start getting lots of exercise and hopefully lose some weight

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Re: I became a victim today.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
    Was about to get a new bike on the Cycle-to-work scheme, so now i just have to buy some over trousers and away i go.
    Good plan. But don't bother with over trousers; buy some shorts instead. It won't take long to find out why
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

3. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (03-09-2009)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

oh hell....

Beany, the insurance payouts are pants at the mo, but the used car market is top price.

Do yourself a favour and start printing out Auto trader Adverts for identical models, similar mileage etc. and also check forecourts. You're gonna need a dozen as evidence of it not being worth only £0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

5. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (03-09-2009)

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung, 320 Gb no name I can recall, 500Gb Sandisk SDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY - XLR8 GeForce 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.

The nasty sods probably just wanted it for parts or a cheap way to get home. I have had my cars stolen three times (with a further three failed attempts on my 740i) and I find it very upsetting, so I am pleased that you seem to be taking it in your stride. Good for you.

(Thanks Evilmunky)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.

7. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (03-09-2009)

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Must be the day for this

The Mrs had her front passenger window done last night and they had a good rummage around but didn't manage to get the car started or anything like that.

9. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (03-09-2009)

Thanks

Sorry to hear that mate, you have made me extra worried about my Corsa now. It's had it's problem, but now it's fairly reliable (..he says..).

Hope they find the bastards!

11. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (03-09-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    Good plan. But don't bother with over trousers; buy some shorts instead. It won't take long to find out why
    I took your advice and also asked the shop, they said the same thing. Proper cycling shorts and don't use over trousers, you'll sweat. So once back from my holiday i'll pick up some proper clothing along with my nice shiney new bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    oh hell....

Beany, the insurance payouts are pants at the mo, but the used car market is top price.

Do yourself a favour and start printing out Auto trader Adverts for identical models, similar mileage etc. and also check forecourts. You're gonna need a dozen as evidence of it not being worth only £0.02
    Cheers make. Will start looking at auto-trader. The insurance company did ask condition and mileage when i phoned them, ofc it was in good nick, with very low mileage (which i have the MOT to prove) also asked when it was MOT'd/taxed. But i know insurance companies quite well, so i'm expecting some crap offer, not that i'll be getting much anyway, excess was £150.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucelles View Post
    The nasty sods probably just wanted it for parts or a cheap way to get home. I have had my cars stolen three times (with a further three failed attempts on my 740i) and I find it very upsetting, so I am pleased that you seem to be taking it in your stride. Good for you.
    I was quite upset when i realised it was gone, but considering what i've been through over the last 3-4 years, i just thought sod it. Life goes on, i just have to adapt

I suspect they took it because they could, old car with old immobiliser that is easy to bypass compared to modern cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee @ SCAN View Post
    Must be the day for this

The Mrs had her front passenger window done last night and they had a good rummage around but didn't manage to get the car started or anything like that.
    Hope the damage was minimal. Never nice to get up in the morning and find some toe rag has been through your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate, you have made me extra worried about my Corsa now. It's had it's problem, but now it's fairly reliable (..he says..).

Hope they find the bastards!
    Thats the one thing i was really impressed with, how good the car had been to my mum, and then to me. It was a gutless 1.2, with only 4 speed box. But it would just keep going. But i'm not holding out on the police finding either the car (in one piece) or who did it.

I'm quite surprised how relaxed i am about the whole thing really. Already been down the bike shop and ordered a new one under the cycle-to-work scheme. Just have to wait until the 24th to pick it up as i'm off on holiday soon (woohoo) Doesn't help that one of the fish tank lights has decided to fail today as well, would have just jumped in the car got new one and taken old one to dump to be disposed of properly. Bit harder now especially as the tubes are 3.5ft long.

Life goes on

Thanks

Thats the one thing i was really impressed with, how good the car had been to my mum, and then to me. It was a gutless 1.2, with only 4 speed box. But it would just keep going. But i'm not holding out on the police finding either the car (in one piece) or who did it.
    Yeah, doesn't seem the police can do much against car crime. My cousin had her first car stolen, after owning it for less than a week. They didn't catch them nor did they recover the car. And then her second car was crashed into by some teenagers who didn't have insurance and they were never caught She hasn't bothered with a 3rd car now...

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Cheers make. Will start looking at auto-trader. The insurance company did ask condition and mileage when i phoned them, ofc it was in good nick, with very low mileage (which i have the MOT to prove) also asked when it was MOT'd/taxed. But i know insurance companies quite well, so i'm expecting some crap offer, not that i'll be getting much anyway, excess was £150.
    Don't want to be rude... but is it worth the claim if it's only £150? Depending on the value of the car etc I presume you can cancel your policy on it and get a partial refund (and no claims for that period?) then put that money towards a new car

Quick look on autotrader suggests a mk1 Corsa (don't know mileage etc) is £300ish, so you would be paying £150 and making a claim for probably at most £150

Sorry your car got nicked, I'm sure it sucks to have something like that happen.
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

15. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (03-09-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    Don't want to be rude... but is it worth the claim if it's only £150? Depending on the value of the car etc I presume you can cancel your policy on it and get a partial refund (and no claims for that period?) then put that money towards a new car

Quick look on autotrader suggests a mk1 Corsa (don't know mileage etc) is £300ish, so you would be paying £150 and making a claim for probably at most £150

Sorry your car got nicked, I'm sure it sucks to have something like that happen.
    My insurance actually runs out on 6th Sept, so i won't be losing anything there. Your right about the value and the actual amount i'd get back. My car was very low mileage, 56K, and having seen a few Corsa's on Autotrader going from 300-550 for same year car, but with much higher mileage. But i do have to weigh up the pro's and cons for claiming. I also had some fishing gear in the boot, not massive value but i need to see where i stand with that.

At the end of the day i can afford to lose some NCB, plus i'm not going to be replacing it until middle of next year.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Ouch sorry to hear your news mate, I know what its like to be without your car when its in for repairs etc but to have it stolen, I'd be lost without my car

18. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (03-09-2009)

Thanks

Bean I'm with Zak on the scan for prices front. When mine was written-off I scoured for adds and in the end got the price bumped up £100. While that sounds peanuts it was more than 10% up on the original offer!

I'm fascinated to see if you can do the carless thing in MK and really hope it works out.
    And when you decide to get a new motor there are few places better for advice than right here
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

20. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (04-09-2009)

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Sorry to hear it, Even if it was old - It was your transport to work etc.

Shame the laws are not tougher on them if they ever do catch them.

I agree with everything that has been said - If you are going to claim do some research but, If the car isn't worth more than £300 I wouldn't bother claiming personally, Of course it won't stop them loading the next car you insure - despite it not being your fault.

I did a similar thing with the cycling after my car got broken into at work but, It didn't last long before I got bored with getting wet.

22. Received thanks from:

beanbandit (04-09-2009)

Thanks

They found it Not sure on the state of it at the moment, all the Police said it had been hot wired, but i'm expecting some other damage, and with its value i'm thinking of just having it written off or scrapped. Expecting a call from the recovery people as it had only just come in when i phoned. Police will be doing their finger printing at some point, so will wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimeous View Post
    Bean I'm with Zak on the scan for prices front. When mine was written-off I scoured for adds and in the end got the price bumped up £100. While that sounds peanuts it was more than 10% up on the original offer!

I'm fascinated to see if you can do the carless thing in MK and really hope it works out.
    And when you decide to get a new motor there are few places better for advice than right here
    I know the insurance people will pay peanuts, with the lose of NCB and what i'd get back i'm thinking about just not bothering with the claim. Probably more hassle than its worth tbh. It has done me well for 5 years, time for a change.

I have no problem with being carless in MK, buses are good for me when the weather is naff. Shops are close by so no worries with getting food in, if i have to i'd even go back to home delivery. Biggest issue i'm going to have is visiting my Niece, or going to see you or TiG, buses don't suit transporting PC/Xbox and monitor. Will have to see what car hire would cost from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Sorry to hear it, Even if it was old - It was your transport to work etc.

Shame the laws are not tougher on them if they ever do catch them.

I agree with everything that has been said - If you are going to claim do some research but, If the car isn't worth more than £300 I wouldn't bother claiming personally, Of course it won't stop them loading the next car you insure - despite it not being your fault.

I did a similar thing with the cycling after my car got broken into at work but, It didn't last long before I got bored with getting wet.
    I've been having a good chat with the insurance company, but your right, if i claim, even though its not my fault, i still come out of this worse off. This is the most annoying aspect of this whole saga, i get screwed, and those who did it get away scot free

Oh well, i've got my mind already set on the cycling, the bus planner is out, i know the prices, time to lose some weight

Registered+
    Thanks

What condition was it in it in when you got it back? Did they manage to get any finger prints etc?

Thanks
    • watforddude's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97
      • CPU:
      • Intel 4790k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Dom
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 980 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • The Bedroom Floor
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" LG
      • Internet:
      • 80MB Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    oh hell....

Check on ebay, when my quad was stolen we found it on ebay resprayed, and it was only 2 miles away from me, the cheeky buggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post

with 29 minutes to go the watford dude saved the day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information