Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek 2009!

Thanks

Star Trek 2009!

**Spoilers!!!**

I just saw the new Star Trek movie and I was so amazed! The sad / dramatic theme, the dark / sinister characters & the awesome and imposing sound track, all add up to an excellent sci-fi film! This was vastly superior to the previous Next Generation films, with the cheesy dialogues & boring characters (Especially Data) and the fact that the story-line & plot were actually sad and dramatic, made this so much more interesting.

I love the part towards the end when Kirk & Spock beam up into Nero’s space-ship and while Kirk fights hand to hand against Nero, Nero reveals to him that he actually knows him from Earth’s future history and that he would deprive him from that future life. Implying indirectly how famous and what a great hero Kirk was in his time.

This film, along with Star Trek I (Motion Picture), II, III, V and the Star Trek Voyager series, is the best of the ST universe in my opinion.

Also the new Starship Enterprise looks so cool!

http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Imag...01920x1200.jpg
    Last edited by retroborg; 07-10-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks

Re: Star Trek 2009!

Never got into Star Trek, but recently decided to watch it on big screen (last show that I know of - unsurprising given that the DVD should be out soon), and it did not disappoint. I didn't find that Kirk character that likeable, but fortunately there was much more going about in the movie.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

They did the impossible - they made Star Trek cool.

Shocked I was and am.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • funke_munke's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600k + Noctua NH-U12F @ stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz low profile 1.35v @ stock
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 3TB WD Red + Backup drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w HX
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung 226bw

Yeah agreed dangel. Still love TNG though. I always remember Generations being good, although I haven't watched it in yonks.
    "I Don't mind Lobster. It's like you could, you know... Punch... A lobster. I wouldn't eat anything I couldn't punch"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by retroborg View Post

This film, along with Star Trek I, III, V and the Star Trek Voyager series, is the best of the ST universe in my opinion.
    Do you really mean the first film, as in the motion picture? That was a poor poor film, all special effects and no go.

You may have mean Star Trek II, which is still my favourite of the series, or at least as good as the new one, which was brilliant.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by 99Flake View Post
    You may have mean Star Trek II, which is still my favourite of the series, or at least as good as the new one, which was brilliant.
    Kirkrolled?

I liked the new one as well, and I felt that they'd done a good job with the space combat scenes especially; I could understand why in TOS just haveing two spaceships hanging there shooting coloured lights at each other was acceptable, but when they were still doing that for the later movies I thought it was getting rather stale. Seeing Enterprise come barrelling in behind a blizzard of gunfire was much more like it.

Look Ma, a Title!
    Thanks
    • Arthran's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Black
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Kingston Now SSD, 4+TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 7870 2GB Ghz
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Enterprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" 1980x1080p + Viewsonic Projector
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre

my problem is that they completely changed the Star Trek timeline, this is set as an alternative to Star Trek I, which means by doing this film it means that ALL later films and tv shows are null and void.

That make sense to anybody else?
    As a film it was enjoyable to watch, but as a fan it make me want to murder the writers for taking long-term established story (only what, 40 years its been around) and just ****ting over it.
    Wow (shadowsong): Arthran, Arthra, Arthrun, Amyle (I know, I'm inventive with names)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 99Flake View Post
    Do you really mean the first film, as in the motion picture? That was a poor poor film, all special effects and no go.

Yeah I thought the 1st Star Trek Motion Picture film was cool and the special effects were not bad. All the spaceships looked realistic & the V'Ger was very sinister & imposing looking.

Star Trek II is another awesome sci-fi film. Especially Khan is a classic villain!
    The part when he interrogated Chekov and Terrell and put the alien worms inside their ear was so cool and scary!

“Allow me to introduce you to Ceti Alpha V's only remaining, indigenous, life form. What do you think? It killed twenty of my people, including my beloved wife. Oh, not all at once. and not instantly, to be sure."

“You see their young enter through the ears and wrap them selves around the cerebral cortex. This has the effect of rendering the victim extremely susceptible to...suggestion.
    These are pets of course. Not quite domesticated!”
    Last edited by retroborg; 07-10-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arthran View Post
    my problem is that they completely changed the Star Trek timeline, this is set as an alternative to Star Trek I, which means by doing this film it means that ALL later films and tv shows are null and void.

As a film it was enjoyable to watch, but as a fan it make me want to murder the writers for taking long-term established story (only what, 40 years its been around) and just ****ting over it.
    Nope - they forked the timeline.

you've now got the original universe (shatnerverse?) with and the the chris-pine version.

bit like back to the future 2

if they wanted they can still make shows for either one
    Hexus estas unu el la plej bonaj teknikaj ejoj Mi havas vizititan!

Look Ma, a Title!
    Thanks
    • Arthran's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Black
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 7870 2GB Ghz
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Enterprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by father smurf View Post
    Nope - they forked the timeline.

you've now got the original universe (shatnerverse?) with and the the chris-pine version.

bit like back to the future 2

if they wanted they can still make shows for either one
    true trek fans understand that, but the average layman isnt, so they have really shot themselves in the foot in my oppinion
    Wow (shadowsong): Arthran, Arthra, Arthrun, Amyle (I know, I'm inventive with names)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arthran View Post

Yeah, it's quite shocking to realize that after the cataclysmic events of this new Star Trek reboot & the destruction of Vulcan; basically all the other Star Trek films and series were as if they never happened! So in essence, captain Sisko & the federation never wage war against the Dominion, Captain Picard never encounters the Borg, Kirk doesn't face the sinister V'Ger and Captain Janeway’s Odyssey in traversing through the entire Delta Quadrant & all the adventures & epic encounters with some of the most dangerous races of the Galaxy were all as if they never happened!
    Only captain's Archer's voyages don't get affected by these events.

Personally I like this mind-blowing prospect and it’s very interesting to imagine what kind of new plots & story-lines they will come up with next.
    I would love to see Captain Kirk facing the Borg!

Mike Fishcake

I thought the new Star Trek film wasn't anything special. I'm not a trekkie, but I will watch the programme if it's on telly. Me and Mrs went to watch it in the Cinema. Mrs is a bit of a Trekkie, and she spent a large proportion of the film giggling at it. I spent a lot of time sighing at it because I thought it was just trying too hard.

Star Trek isn't meant to be cool. There's plenty of other movies out there that cool people can have. Let the geeks keep Star Trek. It's OURS. Leave it alone.

Anyway, my favourite ST film is Nemesis.

And, to cause debate, here is Fishcake's official chart of Star Trek TV series in order of bestestness.

The Next Generation
    Voyager
    Deep Space Nine
    Original Series
    Enterprise

One of my friends went to the opening night of the film in Birmingham. She saw several people dressed up in various costumes. One of the people she saw was in a costume from a character in Enterprise, to which she remarked (slightly louder than she realised) "That's like going to a Star Wars convention dressed as Jar-Jar!"

Look Ma, a Title!
    Thanks
    • Arthran's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Black
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 7870 2GB Ghz
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Enterprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake View Post
    Fishcake's official chart of Star Trek TV series in order of bestestness.

The Next Generation
    Voyager
    Deep Space Nine
    Original Series
    Enterprise
    Mine:
    Voyager
    Deep Space Nine
    The Next Generation
    Original Series
    Enterprise

That could be because i've recently watched through all of TNG, and am now in series 5 of DS9 before starting Voyager...

Thanks

**Spoilers!!**

Star Trek Voyager was the best of the series imo.
    What made it so cool and interesting, was the fact that they were alone & stranded on the other side of the Galaxy and managed to get through some of the most extreme situations. It shared many similarities to Homer's Odyssey, it took place in so many different worlds and they came in contact with the most dangerous & varied alien races, more than any other Sci-fi series. Let’s not forget the epic encounters against the sinister & evil Borg. All this combined with excellent humor and resourcefulness from the side of the crew and Captain Janeway.

Anyway the best character in Voyager by far and possibly the best character in any Star Trek k series has to be the emergency holographic doctor:

Star Trek Voyager - 2x17 - Dreadnought

- The Doctor, Kes & Samantha Wildman on sickbay

It doesn't have to be a human name. I like Soral.
    It's Vulcan.
    Yes, I'm fortunately it was also the name of a dictator on Sokura prime, famed for beheading his rivals...and his parents!”

Star Trek Voyager - 5x22 - Someone To Watch Over Me

- Seven of Nine and B'Elanna Torres

"I have been observing you. It's part of my research on human mating behavior."
    (reads from the PADD) "Stardate 52647, 1400 hours. Subjects quarrel in corridor outside female's quarters. Male returns with 12 flowering plant stems, species Rosa rubifolia, effecting a cessation of hostilities. Stardate 52648, 0300 hours. Intimate relations resume."
    "How the hell do you know when we're having intimate relations?"
    "There is no one on Deck 9, Section 12 who doesn't know when you're having intimate relations."
    "I want all the date you collected!"
    "I haven't completed the study"
    "Then study this. Borg provokes Klingon. Klingon breaks Borg nose."
    "Call sickbay, tell them there is about to be a medical emergency"

Thanks

ROTFLMAO !!

And just look at the poor dog's misarable expression!
    As if it can tell it's being ridiculed... Lol!!
    I wonder if it can reach the notorious Delta Quadrant with that gear?!...

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Is this going to turn into a Trek battle thread?

I really enjoyed the new movie. Sure to the layman it messed everything up, but we have had SO many rehashes, remakes, reboots of old movies (Batman, Superman, Hulk, Starsky and Hutch etc) that who the heck cares so long as its good. Star Trek wasn't good, it was brilliant IMO. Sure I understand the 'alternate timeline' stuff.

Whos to say they wont make another Borg one? They can exist. Humanity still sent up Voyager 6. There have been plenty of alternative universe Trek books where things haven't been the same but some characters have. So Vulcan is destroyed that probably means no Tuvock eventually. But it opens up a different avenue of exploration.

Personally I think everything in Star Trek that can be done in a series form has. No more series please. Enterprise was scrapping the rust of the bottom of the can. Although there were some good episodes, it was the weakest IMO. I have all Voyager on VHS. If DS9 made a transition to Blu-Ray (yeah I know long shot) then I probably would start on those.

If there is a sequel to this film, I HOPE they dont mess it up. Brilliant first films have terrible sequels. Just think of Matrix and Transformers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information