Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 33 to 48 of 115

Thread: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

  1. #33
    HEXUS.social member finlay666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    8,546
    Thanks
    297
    Thanked
    894 times in 535 posts
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    When I watch a proper film with VLC it skips all the piracy junk and goes straight to the main menu

    Just because other cultures do it doesn't make it right.
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

  2. #34
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,806
    Thanks
    3,834
    Thanked
    5,114 times in 3,946 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    When I watch a proper film with VLC it skips all the piracy junk and goes straight to the main menu

    Just because other cultures do it doesn't make it right.
    Still doesn't mean it is right to sting legitimate users like me with all the crap does it??

    Why the heck would I need to been force shown a movie(which on many DVD players you cannot fast forward past though) about not pirating stuff when I bought the blasted thing?? Rootkits when you install games anyone?? StarForce anyone?? Are these people at the RIAA and their game compatriots a couple of numpty-bollocks or something??

    I known plenty of people who have been so pissed off about all this nonsense,that they commented that pirating would probably have been easier. In fact there are people I know who did not even buy certain games due to the DRM and all the crap it installs quietly on your PC (which is hard to remove even if you uninstall the game). Aren't the RIAA meant to be reducing piracy not encouraging it??

    Also my whole point is piracy is also rampant on consoles too and all this "piracy is killing PC games" argument is there so that PC games companies can push legitimate customers into more and more draconian T and C's. This is what will kill PC gaming (not piracy) in the end together with buggy and poorly optimised initial releases of games which will mean more people migrating towards consoles. Most gamers are NOT computer geeks and have very limited tolerance for such things.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 12-11-2009 at 02:10 AM.

  3. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,585
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    246 times in 208 posts

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    I agree with your point about music/movies/games being easier to find pirated than legit in some places. Being a fan of Asian music, I once asked a Chinese friend to buy CDs from a particular artist for me, specifying that I wanted the a legit copy (that I would pay for, of course). After she rolled her eyes a few times she told me that she'll try but can't promise anything because they are harder to find

    But for people who grow up in an environment where pirated stuff are has easy/easier to find than legit stuff, and not many people to tell them that it's wrong (because they grew up like that too), it really wouldn't surprise me if many simply don't understand the problem. And even for those who recognise the issue after spending some time here, old habit die hard. Plus, it's not like the issue isn't growing here with the ease of faster Internet download. And Internet download become a habit that's not condemned, I think it's only a matter of time before people here genuinely believe it's not an issue (as opposed to those who know it's wrong but do it anyway - and yes, both guilty but I think there is a difference).

    While I understand your frustration in regard to botched DRM, rootkit and such, I am not convinced that those will kill PC games faster than piracy. Sure there are gamers who may stick to their values and vocally let it known (or not). But I also think that many more will just complain, vocally vent their frustration in forums and on YouTube.. before buying the game anyway if the game is deemed a classic by others. However, I know a few people with a PC and an Xbox360, and while they did/do download materials on their PC, they buy all their games on their Xbox360. It's still that much easier not having to mod a console even though it wouldn't take many games to 'recover the expense' of getting the console modded. I also think that the risk of getting banned on Xbox Live is part of the reasons because I do know a few who've modded their Wii.

  4. #36
    Nefarious Networker Dareos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Larkhall, Scotland
    Posts
    3,389
    Thanks
    460
    Thanked
    402 times in 299 posts
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Regardless of whether you agree with the price of games or not, Piracy is illegal, people worked very hard on getting that game to the stores, in order to make money from it, and provide entertainment. That comes at a price, same as a night at the pub, or buying clothes or going on holiday, it all costs.

    I grew up with piracy, it was second nature tbh. I owned a Spectrum 48k and a great deal of the games i owned were copies. A double tape deck and 20 mins of free time and voila, i had my mates copy of Wheelie, or Underwurlde etc. This did continue through the amiga etc, but really, what right did i have to own these games.

    None, lets be fair, none. I might as well have walked into a shop with a big bag and taken them.

    Probably not a popular view, but just because you dont point a gun in someones face and demand that they empty their pockets, doesn't mean that you aren't robbing them, or that they will not retaliate, and just as the tax payer pays to keep robbers, thieves and others in prison, the gamer pays excess for the pirates discrepancies.

    Its a hard line to take, I game as much as anyone, maybe a little too much truth be told, but I think its a line to be drawn, maybe we will all benefit.

    Heres another way to look at it

    Movie ticket = £5 + popcorn etc etc = 2 hours of possible entertainment, depending on film
    Computer game = £40 = anything from 5 (if ye buy crap) to 500 hours of entertainment, depending on game

    is that really such a bad deal?

    I bought Halo 3, 2 years ago, have over 5k ranked games, somewhere close to 3k social, maybe rounding up to 1000 hours played, with friends, for a total of a fiver a month for Live (and all the games that i can play on it) and the cost of the game

    bargain imo

    And i aint even gonna go near WoW or Everquest, cos my stats there scare even me...

    (i need a life)

    For once this isn't a humorous post from me, or even an attempt at it. Entertainment is not free, unless you like Jeremy Kyle (ok, bit of a joke there).
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

    Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

    I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

  5. #37
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by revol68 View Post
    My opinions on piracy are well known but you have to be a bit of a tit to whinge when you get caught and banned from Live because of it.

    If you are going to pirate do it with some self respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by revol68 View Post
    Well I think the very idea of intellectual property rights is nothing but theft in the first place, I mean how dare those commie gits at EA etc just think they can make use of dead Arab's numerical engine for nothing, not to mention Benjamin Franklin's leccy.
    So if someone breaks into your house and steals a computer that you made, that's OK provided he does it "with some self respect"? And your labour, whether it is manual or intellectual is worth nothing?

    (And I'm not sure what Benjamin Franklin's research into static electricity has to do with it - and numeric notation systems are not attributable to any one person! )
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  6. #38
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,442
    Thanks
    612
    Thanked
    1,642 times in 1,306 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    So if someone breaks into your house and steals a computer that you made, that's OK provided he does it "with some self respect"? And your labour, whether it is manual or intellectual is worth nothing?

    (And I'm not sure what Benjamin Franklin's research into static electricity has to do with it - and numeric notation systems are not attributable to any one person! )
    Except if he nicks your PC, you no longer have your PC, unlike piracy whereby nobody physically loses the product.

  7. #39
    HEXUS.social member finlay666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    8,546
    Thanks
    297
    Thanked
    894 times in 535 posts
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Except if he nicks your PC, you no longer have your PC, unlike piracy whereby nobody physically loses the product.
    I don't think you can really understand it from the other side until you have had it, I have had my work pirated, I know people who have and it's the fact that we haven't got paid much in wages, then people steal our potential wages by not paying for a game, as they believe they are entitled to do so, how about I took a chunk out of your pay packet and called the pay you should be getting potential. You did work for it, like the programmers of the game. You probably didn't produce a tangible product, unlike the developers. So why should people pay you to do what you do, when you won't pay the developers?

    You would set up your own illegal money printing service, because that's just copying, like a photocopier, on a huge scale right That means no one loses out, oh, except the people that get the money and can't spend it because it's fake, or the companies who lose real money because of the forgeries
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

  8. #40
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,442
    Thanks
    612
    Thanked
    1,642 times in 1,306 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    I don't think you can really understand it from the other side until you have had it, I have had my work pirated, I know people who have and it's the fact that we haven't got paid much, then people steal our wages by not paying for a game, as they believe they are entitled to do so

    You would set up your own illegal money printing service, because that's just copying, like a photocopier, on a huge scale right That means no one loses out, oh, except the people that get the money and can't spend it because it's fake, or the companies who lose real money because of the forgeries
    I'm not saying that it's fine, just that I always hear the analogy of "you wouldn't nick it from a shop" and I don't think it's an accurate analogy given the inconsistency I mentioned.

  9. #41
    Senior Member Stringent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    5,227
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    155 times in 117 posts
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?


  10. #42
    HEXUS.social member finlay666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    8,546
    Thanks
    297
    Thanked
    894 times in 535 posts
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I'm not saying that it's fine, just that I always hear the analogy of "you wouldn't nick it from a shop" and I don't think it's an accurate analogy given the inconsistency I mentioned.
    "You wouldn't nick it from iTunes" then
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

  11. #43
    It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,930
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked
    378 times in 259 posts
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    For these articles to have any meaning, they ought to include a mug shot of the idiot in question. How else are we going to correct the gene pool?
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

    0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

  12. #44
    Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    17,164
    Thanks
    803
    Thanked
    2,152 times in 1,408 posts

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    He is someone who proclaimed that he spent all his time playing xbox.

    he isn't going to be procreating anyway......
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

  13. #45
    It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,930
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked
    378 times in 259 posts
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    He is someone who proclaimed that he spent all his time playing xbox.

    he isn't going to be procreating anyway......
    There is always hope
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

    0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

  14. #46
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,442
    Thanks
    612
    Thanked
    1,642 times in 1,306 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    "You wouldn't nick it from iTunes" then
    Yeah, I'll go along with that

  15. #47
    Tech Geek.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    37 times in 36 posts

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a View Post
    I don't know whether to believe what I've just read or not lol

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...0/10002915.stm

    So a lad chips his xbox and gets banned for it and wonders why lol then goes on to boast he's copied about 40 games and then its the last paragraph that gets me.

    "To be honest, I've contemplated whether to move to Playstation 3 or buy another Xbox. I wouldn't do it again but I really don't know if I'm going to get the Xbox again now."

    I can't help but laugh at this thick tard tbh. He is contemplating whether or not to get another xbox because they banned him for illegal practices lol

    I really would like to think that there are people out there who aren't this thick. Moaning at £50 a game to lol the PS3 is virtually the same price to. (Don't know where he is shopping but I know the majority of us on here all get them for around the £30 - £38 mark from the offers that go around)
    can we have less of the "tard" comment please, completely unneeded and offensive.

  16. #48
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Banned from XBOX Live.... Is this guy for real?

    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Except if he nicks your PC, you no longer have your PC, unlike piracy whereby nobody physically loses the product.
    Well, the point (not very well made!) was that it was a PC he had made - so the stolen item wasn't just the parts, but the time and effort that had gone into making it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. xbox live
    By joz12345 in forum Networking and Broadband
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-09-2008, 01:53 AM
  2. RUMOR: Spring Upgate 08 Change List
    By BlackDwarf in forum Console
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18-06-2008, 12:19 AM
  3. Headlines - Dick Gaywood banned from Xbox live
    By HEXUS in forum HEXUS News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-05-2008, 02:07 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-02-2008, 01:03 PM
  5. Full Spectrum Warrior on Xbox Live
    By MurphmanL in forum Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •