Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of Simon Cowells pet karaoke project stealing the christmas number one?

Thanks
    • Hazzwald's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T SE
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6gb OCZ Platinum 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500gb seagate 7200 drives in raid-0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870 1gb
      • PSU:
      • PC Power and Cooling 750w
      • Case:
      • CM-690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down/1.2mb up

Re: Tired of Simon Cowells pet karaoke project stealing the christmas number one?

I think my main problem is the song. I mean why couldn't people instead just buy something like that soldiers song they released to raise money, a song released at the correct time, with a good cause. Instead of trying to force a terribly overplayed ratm song from 17 years ago on the nation.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Re: Tired of Simon Cowells pet karaoke project stealing the christmas number one?

You're completely missing the point.
    It doesn't matter what the song is. Don't listen to it, delete it immediately if it offends you. The point is, that it removes the pre-fab-Cowell-crap from our radios over the holidays.

Hmmmm. New account, who is a single issue poster. Astro-turfer by any chance ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    Some of us still know what vinyl is
    Even though I probably won't like any of those tracks, that is one cool collection!

4. Received thanks from:

Knoxville (17-12-2009)

Thanks

BAM!!!!! bought!
    even though i already own it on MP3 and Album i just wanna do my part to stop the manufactured Xmas number 1 one hit wonders that spew out of Simon Cowell every year.

i'd love to see Rage win - just to show that billionaire bricktop that the people still have a say in the music charts and its not all down to millions of pounds of advertising

XBOX: BauerPrime

Thanks
    • Hazzwald's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T SE
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870 1gb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM-690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down/1.2mb up

What's an astro-turfer? And i do get it, i just don't see why the campaign couldn't have been made with one of the non-cowell contenders for xmas number 1. I'll just leave this issue alone, seems i'm the only one who refuses to jump on the bandwagon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    You're completely missing the point.
    It doesn't matter what the song is. Don't listen to it, delete it immediately if it offends you. The point is, that it removes the pre-fab-Cowell-crap from our radios over the holidays.

Hmmmm. New account, who is a single issue poster. Astro-turfer by any chance ?
    I beg to differ. If this was the Children in Need song or The Soldiers/etc then I probably would have spent the 29p on it. As it ended up being an old, annoying track I already own (teen angst phase) & have grown out of a long time ago I chose not to buy it.

People such as myself who don't really care about the 'campaign' either way could possibly have bought into this if the some money was at least going to a worthy cause. You never know, it might have been an extra 10k (or even 1) sale(s) that pushed it ahead of Joe at the final hurdle.

The decision of the group to link to Shelter was good but flawed, it's no substitute for proceeds going to charity in the first place rather than relying on people to buy then donate seperately.

I do find the Xfactor boring but that said I still enjoy some of it, only the first few weeks where the weirdos come out!
    They should have that part of the show running all year (perhaps 5 times a week like Corrie/Emmerdale) & they only let the good singers out once a year

seen, but not often heard
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    People such as myself who don't really care about the 'campaign' either way could possibly have bought into this if the some money was at least going to a worthy cause. You never know, it might have been an extra 10k (or even 1) sale(s) that pushed it ahead of Joe at the final hurdle.
    i think that Tom Morello has said he will donate some of the money he earns from the sales to a music charity for children.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dshepsman View Post
    i think that Tom Morello has said he will donate some of the money he earns from the sales to a music charity for children.
    He said he might, and I doubt it'd be as much as CiN would have got (ie sales figures compared to donation amount) and personally I think Children in Need is a far more important charity than the type he has mentioned.

Warning Made up figures to follow with no factual basis whatsoever.

Say they sell 100k RATM singles @ 29p = £29,000
    RATM get a 5% cut = £1,450
    They donate 50% of the proceeds to a Music 'Charity' (I'll save my distate of seemingly pointless charities)
    = £725 to charity to buy some music school kids a Kazoo each.

or

They sell 100k CiN singles @ 29p = £29,000
    CiN get a 5% cut (although likely more than usual due to the type of single this is) = £1,450
    = £1,450 to fund a worthwhile & important charity.
    Last edited by Rob_B; 17-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Now hang on a min here.

Simon Cowel has demonstrated he can completely control and tame the traditional and the new media alike for his own benefits.

Simon Cowel must have some kind of amazing relationship with Sony Records.

A situation, using the media we know Cowel can manipulate rather well, which promotes buying music he has a direct business interest in has emerged.

Lets all stick it to 'the man' buy making more money for Sony Records.

Yes, well done, you make me at 24 feel like an old man, with your pointless stupid childish anticts.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Hazzwald's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T SE
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870 1gb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM-690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down/1.2mb up

I beg to differ. If this was the Children in Need song or The Soldiers/etc then I probably would have spent the 29p on it. As it ended up being an old, annoying track I already own (teen angst phase) & have grown out of a long time ago I chose not to buy it.

The decision of the group to link to Shelter was good but flawed, it's no substitute for proceeds going to charity in the first place rather than relying on people to buy then donate seperately.

I do find the Xfactor boring but that said I still enjoy some of it, only the first few weeks where the weirdos come out!
    They should have that part of the show running all year (perhaps 5 times a week like Corrie/Emmerdale) & they only let the good singers out once a year
    Thank you, i couldn't agree more

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Tom Morello stated this morning all proceeds will be going to Shelter, lots of people have joined the Facebook group to voice similar concerns - "isn't this going to take money away from proper charity singles" etc and I admire the sentiment I really really do. But... big picture, it's 29p, if you want to donate a pound or two to charity at the same time there's nothing stopping you and it would still be cheaper than walking into HMV and buying the Xfactor single. Lets also not forget Rage Against The Machine and Tom Morello have done more for charity over the last ten years than 99% of other musicians, mainstream or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Now hang on a min here.

Simon Cowel has demonstrated he can completely control and tame the traditional and the new media alike for his own benefits.

Simon Cowel must have some kind of amazing relationship with Sony Records.

A situation, using the media we know Cowel can manipulate rather well, which promotes buying music he has a direct business interest in has emerged.

Lets all stick it to 'the man' buy making more money for Sony Records.

Yes, well done, you make me at 24 feel like an old man, with your pointless stupid childish anticts.
    Cowell has his own label under Sonys umbrella like many other producers and as a result he's probably got shares that are going up in value a little because of these sales but he's not directly benefiting from this at all really. So yes, Sony aka "the man" is making money either way but if the Xfactor single doesn't sell as well as a 17 year old tune by a rap metal band maybe it'll rock the boat enough that record labels start to back away from this reality t.v rubbish...if it's not profitable there's nothing in it for them is there. Sony are going to get my money one way or another anyway, whether it's a single today, a clock radio tommorow or a Playstation 4 in a couple of years but if my money can maybe wipe the smug grin off Cowells face and send a message to record labels then it's for a good cause in my opinion because I'm buying real music with a real message behind it, something with real artistic merit, not something written by committee sung by someone who's name nobody will remember in twelve months.
    Last edited by Knoxville; 17-12-2009 at 05:04 PM.

13. Received thanks from:

Phage (17-12-2009),shaithis (17-12-2009)

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Oh...and for anyone who (like me) missed Rage's interview/live performance on Radio 5 this morning here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWaX8P1nqyg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    Tom Morello stated this morning all proceeds will be going to Shelter, lots of people have joined the Facebook group to voice similar concerns - "isn't this going to take money away from proper charity singles" etc and I admire the sentiment I really really do. But... big picture, it's 29p, if you want to donate a pound or two to charity at the same time there's nothing stopping you and it would still be cheaper than walking into HMV and buying the Xfactor single. Lets also not forget Rage Against The Machine and Tom Morello have done more for charity over the last few years than 99% of other musicians, mainstream or not...
    Good on him. But I'd never buy the Xfactor single, I probably would have purchased the CiN single as part of this though but I realise the charity get more through direct donation so won't buy it now.

Seems a lot of faff, it would have been better/easier/more productive to choose a single that proceeds go straight to charity. Bottom line is it would have created more for said charity (as it would go fairly directly to them) and been purchased by more people which would do more for the 'cause'
    Also i'm pretty sure they didn't choos RATM as they/Tom had done things for charity in the past, I understand he says a few naughty words like 'flipping' in this single...

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

I think in the end of it most people have benefitted from Rage in a positive way

We won't have to put up with so much X-Factor on the radio over Xmas (I hope!)
    Shelter have (so far) got over £45,000 in donations through justgiving (+ £10,000 in gift aid) this is BEFORE any donations Rage may make to charities which is a brilliant amount to raise esp in a tough economic time
    Connor Mason has got his 15 minutes of internet fame for accidentally missing a decimal point and donating £1000 instead of £10
    Rage against the machine get some decent airtime
    Rage say the f word on 5 live

And I spotted Joe in HMV buying a CD

H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0Au...video_response

I am in tears at work....trying to keep my head down!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

18. Received thanks from:

Barrichello (17-12-2009)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Blocked at work. Can you give us a clue ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information