Thread: Finnair flight compensation?

Thanks

Finnair flight compensation?

So I am finally back from my (amazing) trip to Japan, possibly my best trip yet. The whole trip went so smoothly.. until the way back. My flight was delayed twice.

The first time was from Tokyo to Helsinki, I think it was delayed for about an hour. Unlike other passengers with tight connection flights, I wasn't too worried because when I booked my journey, I took that possibility into consideration and booked a later connecting flight. However, that connecting flight ended up delayed by 3 hours. The cited reason aside from the fact that the plane was running late, was that other flights were also running late and we had to wait for them (it seems the whole airline was running late).

I later heard from fellow passengers that you could get meal coupons, but I didn't know that (they didn't everyone know), and paid for my own meal (not cheap due to being in an airport). The biggest problem though, is that it caused our flight to arrive just before midnight. Which meant no tube.

I wasn't going to take the buses with my luggage, as it would've required waiting outside at sub-zero temperature (more than once due to having to change buses). After a long journey, it was not a reasonable option, so I ended up paying £65 for a taxi.

What I would like to know, what compensation am I entitled to? I didn't keep the receipt for the food (though I paid by card, so it will show up on my statement), but I did remember to get one for the taxi. Am I entitled for the simple inconvenience?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Finnair flight compensation?

£65! Long way, was that with someone like addison lee?

Do you have travel insurance, they might be able to help, the credit card company recipt for food won't wash, you might at best get a gesture of faith.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

I hate to say it but it sounds like you'll just be relying on the good faith of the airline now.

Planes do get delayed now and again, it's just part of the system, and airlines are unlikely to compensate you unless you're left stranded somewhere for a day or more. And since the airlines don't run the tube or the buses I doubt they'd take any responsibility for them running, or being too cold, either.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Well, I pretty much expected to be stuffed, but then someone mentioned the EU regulation explained here here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004#Delays

Mine falls into the Class 2 category (over two hours delays for a flight between 1500-3500km).

Now having Googled the regulation, the 'cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure' clause does allow airlines an easy way out, which is why I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a claim under this rule before.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Well, I pretty much expected to be stuffed, but then someone mentioned the EU regulation explained here here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004#Delays

Mine falls into the Class 2 category (over two hours delays for a flight between 1500-3500km).

Now having Googled the regulation, the 'cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure' clause does allow airlines an easy way out, which is why I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a claim under this rule before.
    My money's on cold weather being extraordinary, but it's always worth complaining. I've got compensation from various firms when the problem has nothing to do with the law, just failing to meet my expectations - it's all about keeping the customer happy for some businesses I guess.

Thanks

That wasn't the reason we were given though. They basically made the decision to delay everyone's flight so that those who were late could also catch this plane (I acknowledge that it's a loss/loss situation for them, either they get complaints for us who've been in the airport for 5-6 hours, or they would have to help the people who arrived late - presumably not by their own fault). Plus, it was snowing more in Finland the day I went to Tokyo, then on the way back (and it wasn't snowing at all in London).

Thread Information