Thread: Tiny digitral cameras

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks

Question Tiny digital cameras

I'm on a shopping hunt for a small digital camera... Found two models of interest so far. Pentax Optio S4 and Canon Ixus i. From what I've found out the Canon seem to be the better of the two, plus it looks cooler... Now I wonder if anyone would have another opinion, and I wonder if anyone perhaps has tried one or both of them.

As a note I want to have a camera with SD-card, that way I can swap it into my PDA and check the pictures on a better screen directly. Plus I already have a nice 512MB SD-card

Would be really neat having a good camera with me during the summer...
    Last edited by StarkMjolk; 16-05-2004 at 05:47 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound. Is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Not tried either of them, apologies. However the Canon does look nice from the pictures i have seen of it. However, buying a camera should not really about 'its look.' I would pop into your local Jessops and ask to have a demonstartion of them. Then find the cheapest place on the internet for your camera and see if they'll price match it for you. I hear they are pretty good for that...

EDIT: I have just noticed your location isn't UK. Ehhh, i am gonna have to say just hunt out some digi-cam shops and haggle!!
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    The looks is just a bonus But from what I've seen the Canon seem to be a pretty good camera. Found these sample pictures taken with it earlier:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...0_samples.html

Sure exists better cameras... but that's good enough for me. And I'm mostly after the size.

Might just go with the canon, but wouldn't like to find a better buy a week after I've gotten it so trying to do some research first...
    Light travels faster than sound. Is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    are you sure you don't want optical zoom? (the pentax has this) - the IXUS i has no optical zoom at all - just digital zoom, which is not worth using. the pentax really is tiny!

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    I have an IXUS 400 and have been very happy with it this past year. Great image quality. The only thing that is mildly annoying is the fact that sometimes it takes a while to sort itself out when taking photos with the flash - the response is a little slow. Other than that it's top notch; highly recommended.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    I believe I can live without the zoom... This is not a camera for taking great photos for my album really. Just want a good point n shoot camera to catch fun moments. Don't believe I will use zoom much for that.

I read the review at steves digicams, and from what I could get out of it the Canon was very fast, though they also meantioned that it could slow up some when using the flash.

Anyways, if the Pentax can keep the same boot time/speed and takes better pictures I could get that one instead. Just seem that most reviewers have perfered the Canon.

And I have heard someone being critical against the Pentax image quality earlier, though most seem to like it aswell...

The Ixus 400 uses CF-cards, other than that I'd like it...

Ant
    Thanks
    I have a Casio EX-S2 Exilim. Its tiny! Really is a "Wearable Card camera". It only has digital zoon (which is really pants!) but it is ideal for random snaps. I know very little about the Canon's but i have heard they are excellent.

They also use SD and MMC...

I think casio have updated their range so they could be an option for you?

ant

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip Antsss, I'll take a look at Casios range tomorrow. Though I don't think of Casio as a camera brand, it can't hurt to take a look.

Thread Information