Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you HATE about holidays/travelling?

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks

what do you HATE about holidays/travelling?

I started this in another thread sooooo....

Airports. magnets for morons. People who walk through the entrance doors and stop, regardless of the other 1000 people trying to transit the entrance, while they stare blankly at the terminal screens.

People moving verrrryyyyy slooowwwwlllly along the centre of the corridors taking up maximum space and spreading their disfunctional family across said available space disrupting everyone else.

The mad rush for the aircraft as soon as the doors open....people you have a ticket, they know you are there, they won't leave without you and no one will make you stand for the journey cuz they've run out of seats

Then the guy at the luggage carousel who simpley MUST get that bag that's just out of reach on the first pass, shoving others out of the way while he fights his way after said bag.......Don't these idiots realise that the carousel is round?......it'll come round again.

And finally (for now) the passenger who gets irate because someone has inadvertently sat in their seat by misreading the the numbers above (not to hard to get wrong on some aircraft) and insists everyone moves so that they can get in despite there being an identical vacent seat one row behind. ....

And people couldn't understand why I got sick of travelling........
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    We never flew when i was going on family holidays.... the only planes ive been on are the ones where the propellers are held together by elastic bands going to the iom

But saying that, i hated not haveing air con in a car whilst travelling in the middle of august to southern france

The french service station loos are holes in the ground (altho the spanish and italian ones are better)

The long distances travelling, and a father who would refuse to stop cos he didnt need the loo or wasnt tired!

South Barrule from Cringle Plantation (with a Landy )

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    i only hate bad managed holidays, but usually as i organise my own its all usually sorted without issue, i hate delayed cancelled flights but then i've been very lucky on that too.

I simply love travelling and wish i could do it more often

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Airport tax

WTF !?!?!?

Thanks
    I dont mind travelling too much, infact I quite enjoy it. Flying is not too bad really...just get used to it. And one you have checked in you can relax...they are not going without you.
    Just chill and enjoy basically.
    Twigman

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG

I simply love travelling and wish i could do it more often

TiG
    I was a frequent traveller taking around 30 flights a year. Trust me, it can get old..... top of my list of pet hates has to be US immigration officials. What a bunch of ignorant power-tripping egomaniacs...aaaaaaaarghhhh...

But don't get me wrong, I do love a good holiday. I just don't get to take them very often. To me a holiday was coming home. To my family it was coming out to wherever I was working.....lol.

me with jetlag after best part of 30 hrs travelling (multiple flights before anyone asks)

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    The waits, and how long it takes to get there
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Rank Bajin
    Thanks
    Getting all the way to your hol;diay destination, especially ones described in the brochure as "quiet" and " a taste of the real {insert name of holiday destination}" only to be met with a dining room full of angry kids, and then sitting next to Dave and Alison from Peterborough and their two moody kids.
    Why does that always happen? And they are always from Peterborough/Nottingham/Northampton/Preston or somewhere else equally nondescript.
    The Caped Crusader :-)

Thanks
    Hm, I've been flying around very much But I don't find the stress that annoying at airports..okay a bit, but not that much though! The worst thing about hollidays is that there are way to few of em' and they're way! too short!
    Love, Peace and Linux

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    travelling is the best - any form of transport except for trains . . . especially on the continent and you're forced by the conductor (otherwise "you get off next stop, I dont care!") to share a cabin with 4 dodgy looking geezers, seperated from your mates - only for all the people in the cabin to be arrested when crossing the border!!!

Ive had quite a few hassles from immigration myself, I probably look dodgy to these paranoid androids - I nearly didnt get let into the Czech Republic last year because the idiot of an officer thought I had SARS.

Queue jumpers for checking in really bug me - it's kinda like a slow motion skirmish where people edge in or further up the queue. . . I dont actually mind checking in last coz it's not like the planes gonna leave any earlier or later.

Missing your flight is quite annoying too. Esp when you have very little money left.

Long haul flights (these I love!), but last time I went to HK, the woman behind me (bering in mind Cantonese people literally "shout" just to talk to each other politely) couldnt shut up . . . but when coming in for landing (13hrs later!) she spewed! I really wish I didnt hold back my laughter!

Tho it has to be said, doesnt matter how much these things can get on your nerves, the time you have away are the best regardless - small price to pay

Thanks
    the welsh, and guess where im going again the weekend

Thanks
    ok...trip from hell.....was working in Guam in the middle of the Pacific and my boss gave me a short notice move....to Puerto Rico. Stopped by continental to change my ticket for the next flight out. Checked my bags in that night for the 7:00 am flight (just post 9/11 so security was a nightmare) then stayed up to 1:00 am to call Puerto Rico and arrange accomadation. Got to the Airport at daft o'clock...stopped and searched...laptop, papers etc. out...

Arrived in Hawaii 8 hours later...4m the day before (dateline cross) stopped and searched again.....then some muppet had hidden my guitar amongst a pile of other bags....1/2 hour searching before I could check my bags in again for onward flight.....

Run through Airport with laptop on my back to farthest gate (it had to be) and make it just in time for connecting flight....except....it's not....my itinerary had changed when I changed my ticket and they forgot to point this out, instead of a flight to Houston and then on to Newark I'm going straight to Newark. So, a layover, I can chill....nope. The flight is about to leave and they are waiting for me...you got it, other end of the airport...sprint across airport (laptop etc. on my back) and arrive breathless at the gate....'good evening sir....you have been selected for a random security check...empty laptop bag, papers etc. ....at this point I'm beginning to think sod it...I'll just call my boss and quit, it's really not worth it....only he's in New Jersey, 5 hours ahead, he's in bed asleep. Get on the plane to be greeted by dirty looks from other passengers for them being 5 mins late taking off (it's a 10 hour flight fer chrissakes).

Change at Newark goes ok and chill in Bizniz lounge for a few hours ....get to Puerto Rico at some time on some day which I'm not totally sure of. Get hire car and head off to apartment which I have to pay cash for up front (no biggie, the guy knows me and has kept the office open for me) go to cash point, brain is mush after about 25 or so hours of travelling, not to mention insane time difference, forget my PIN number 3 times and machine swallows credit card

Guy in real estate office is ok (good job he knew me) tells me to sort it in the morning....dribble off to bed dragging 2 bags, guitar and laptop.

Get up in the morning, go to work .....Still trying to figure out what day I had left and which day I had arrived and what planet I was on.

Retire and go travelling?.....bollox

The Jelly made me do it! Honoop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Leg room!! Why do they think only midgets travel on planes?? (No offence meant to anyone!)
    And why do I have to cry because I cant afford a seat in Business Class and sit with my legs in the aisle for the whole flight??
    Last year I had a 12hr flight to South Africa - felt as though Id eased myself out of a sardine tin by the time I untangled and stretched my limbs when I got off of the plane!

Queueing and everything else I can cope with - I have the patience of a saint!
    If you're not living on the edge, you take up too much room

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    And why do I have to cry because I cant afford a seat in Business Class and sit with my legs in the aisle for the whole flight??
    If you are ridiculously tall, or have longer legs, talk to your GP b4 flying. Most will tell you to piss off, but I know a couple of folk who demand the front of the economy class (where there's more legroom) coz of a note from their GP.

DR
    Thanks
    I do a lot of flying with HEXUS and the thing I hate? Airports, and sitting in them waiting for the flights.

I can normally get bumped so thats a good thing, but I hate waiting around and flight delays - they know a plane is needed for 3pm so why is it not there ready? Also why do they wait until 2:50 to tell us it will be late.

Thanks

The Curse Of Wheely Bags

I has to be those bags with wheels on. Why is it that just because it has wheels people feel they can then carry 20 -30 times there body weight. How often have I seen people struggling up and down stairs with bags bigger than my shed (I have quite a large shed). These people have no idea how to control these things and they spend all their time tripping people up or running over feet.

The most annoying thing is at the top of escalators when they pullout the handles and wheel the off all in slow motion so everyone behind gets bundled up.

The black spots for these bads are Airports and Train Stations.

The only satisfaction I had was seeing a tourist pull her bag down some stairs and two of the wheels snapped off.
    Specs:

Q6600 G0, Thermalright Ultra 120, ABIT IP35 PRO, 4GB Corsair DDR2, Trusty old Tagan 480u, BFG 8800 GTS 512, Samsung F1 750 GB.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information