• Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Personal CCTV and the law

What are the guidelines for installing CCTV cameras on your own property?

I'm thinking about installing a couple at home for a couple of different reasons. However, the front door is right on the pavement, there is no front garden. I would really like to get the front door covered, as well as our cars, one parks on the pavement in front of our side gate, the other right outside the door.

Is this going to cause a problem? I don't mind putting a small sign in the window to notify people of that's what is required.

Thanks for the input

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre

Re: Personal CCTV and the law

Not sure but I've had trouble with my car in the past so I installed one facing on to the street anyway. AFAIK it's legal to take pictures and record video in a public place... so I don't see why CCTV should be any different. Also I had to give some footage to the police about an incident and they were more than happy to take it.

Thanks

some links for you on legal obligations for you seems ok as long as you put notice up etc and check with your local council office.
    Oh and you DON'T work for Google earth......

http://www.idealcctv.co.uk/legal.html

http://www.jabbakam.com/mrwickessecu...n-cctv-system/

http://www.info4security.com/hybrid....=3&navcode=412

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/c...d-the-law.html

the google search line
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

hope this helps

4. Received thanks from:

Funkstar (17-06-2011)

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Thanks for the links.

I know I could have googled, but for things like this I'm never sure if the advise you search for is correct.

I'll take a good look at those later.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

There is another issue to be careful of, and that is private property.

If you've a wide angle camera which is looking into someone elses private property its understandably not great.

A neighbor of mine who has told me on many occasions how he thinks his profession allows him to know the law, put one up illegally in our small block of flats.....

So don't be a douche, if there is any chance your going to encrouch someone elses space ask em first!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    What are the guidelines for installing CCTV cameras on your own property?

I'm thinking about installing a couple at home for a couple of different reasons. However, the front door is right on the pavement, there is no front garden. I would really like to get the front door covered, as well as our cars, one parks on the pavement in front of our side gate, the other right outside the door.

Is this going to cause a problem? I don't mind putting a small sign in the window to notify people of that's what is required.

Thanks for the input
    The first and main law you need to consider is the Data Protection Act. Generally, domestic CCTV systems aren't covered by the DPA, provided it's being used for the purposes you implied, that being security and prevention of criminal activity, like burglary or getting your car nicked.

But, you should keep the coverage of the cameras to your own property, or at least, in so far as is practical. Covering your garden, for instance, is fine, and it would generally also be fine if there was incidental coverage of bits of neighbour's property or public streets.

However, the Human Rights Act gives a right to expectation of privacy, so you'd be well-advised to be sure your camera isn't pointing at your neighbour's bedroom windows, or even to where they may, for instance, sunbathe. If you do, you may be subject to legal action by them.

As long as your usage is such as to be exempt from the DPA, you would also not need to put up notices .... though they may be a good deterrent.

On a practical level, it might be worth talking to neighbours, explaining to them what you're doing and if there's a property overlap (or a perception of one) show them the coverage of the cameras. If they have real and reasonable objections, it may just be best to tweak the camera angles a bit to avoid contention.

All IMHO, and with the usual IANAL caveat, and the advice that, if in doubt, get legal confirmation. Maybe talk to the Information Commissioner's office (or read their CCTV Code of Practice (mainly for non-domestic premises) and guidance notes), and/or your local police, and/or a solicitor.

Oh, and the material you record .... you'd be well advised to only retain it for as long as is necessary for the purposes you recorded it for (i.e. security, etc), and to provide copies to the police and nobody else, and only in the event of it capturing criminal activity. Don't start uploading it to the net, because that can be a bit outside the "limited domestic purposes) that gives you DPA exemption.

Also, be aware that the requirements for CCTV to be admitted into court as evidence are pretty strict, and a simple domestic system probably won't qualify. You need decent quality, accurate timecodes, a provenance of the material ensuring no ability for it to be edited, etc. So for security purposes, police may well be interested in footage for it's intelligence value to them, but from simple domestic systems, it's not likely to help in court.

8. Received thanks from:

Funkstar (18-06-2011)

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

on a side note, how cute are your neighbours?
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks

what about if you walk the streets recording ?

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

I'll check up with the local authorities, but I think I'll be able to cover what I need without getting other properties in frame as well.

I probably do have a justifiable reason for the CCTV, however I'm not going into that here. I'm not worried about the footage being admissible in court, just as information to the police in the event it is required.

For recording I'll be using a Thecus NAS box that has CCTV archiving software included, I just need to find a couple of ethernet cameras that will work with it.

Thanks for the advice and input guys

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
    what about if you walk the streets recording ?
    Much the same. The DPA doesn't apply, certainly not to personal usage. There's generally no expectation of privacy in public places so that shouldn't be an issue. There are potentially some problems with Anti-terror laws, or at least, the way some police have been interpreting them, though as I understand it, one of the more oppressive clauses has been (or is being) removed. It's also not a good idea to try filming through someone's household windows and claim it's okay because you were walking the streets.

Also, while some streets are public places, some that might appear to be public places and fully open are actually private property. Just because there's no gate or fence doesn't mean a place is a public place, and the owners of private property have the right to restrict filming, still or video, on it. If you are on such private property, you are there at the owner's tolerance, and (within t the bounds of law) subject to their rules and restrictions. If you breach those rules, the permission to be there is removed and you are trespassing.

Finally, depending on what you mean by filming while "walking the streets", I'd have though the very last thing most "street walkers" wanted was someone filming their business activities.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

Great thread here.

Just another question about filming in public, is it illegal to video someone driving their car, showing their license plate, showing their face without their permission and then uploading it to Youtube where thousands of people will be able to view it?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Sracen is more authoratitive than I am, but I would say it is not illegal (in that the person has committed an unlawful act) unless publishing it prejudices an ongoing or pending court case when contempt of court might be applicable.

Otherwise reporting the post to youtube might get it taken down, or failing that, obtaining a civil court injunction, if the person can demonstrate a good reason why it should be removed. But driving a car in a public place, with licence plates visible can be seen by anyone anyway, the number of people that can see it would (to me) seem to be irrelevant. But I am not a lawyer!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

15. Received thanks from:

DeludedGuy (19-06-2011)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeludedGuy View Post
    Great thread here.

Just another question about filming in public, is it illegal to video someone driving their car, showing their license plate, showing their face without their permission and then uploading it to Youtube where thousands of people will be able to view it?
    Not that I'm aware of. A lot comes back to the point I made earlier, that there's no general cause to expect privacy in a public place, so when in public, people shouldn't be doing things they expect to keep private.

The only complication I can think of, off the top of my head, is that if you use pictures (and I assume video too) of identifiable individuals in a commercial way, then you risk complications if you don't have their permission. For instance, if you used a shot of a famous footballer or actress coming out of a nightclub to promote the club, and imply an endorsement from them, you'd probably get an irate communication from their lawyers. It's why photographers (and, I assume, videographers) insist on model releases for that kind of work, and it's why photo agencies often won't take pics without one. At the very least, it's a sensible precaution.

Of course, there are exceptions to that. One of them relates to news reporting and journalism, where a lot of leeway is granted. And if it wasn't, we'd never see a paparazzi shot again.

So, in direct answer to the question ....

1) I'm nowhere near the authority Peter kindly implies
    2) It could well depend on the circumstances
    3) If in doubt, get legal advice, and certainly don't rely on me.

Thread Information