Thanks

Who says our IT dept doesn't have a sense of humour

Just got this (circulated to everyone)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHO? All EPCglobal Users
    WHAT? New IT procedures
    WHEN? Always
    WHY? Help us to help you.....

When you call us to have your computer moved, be sure to leave it buried under half a ton of postcards, baby pictures, stuffed animals, dried flowers, bowling trophies and children's art. We don't have a life, and we find it deeply moving to catch a fleeting glimpse of yours.

Don't write anything down. Ever. We can play back the error messages from our video recording.

When an IT person says he's coming right over, go for coffee. That way you won't be there when we need your password. It's nothing for us to remember 300 screen saver passwords.

When IT Support sends you an e-mail with high importance, delete it at once. We're just testing.

When an IT person is eating lunch at his desk, walk right in and spill your problems right out. We don't even like eating food, we exist only to serve.

Send urgent e-mail all in uppercase. The mail server picks it up and flags it as a rush delivery.

When we do something as a favour in our own time at our own expense, feel free to criticise us.

That's OK, we don't expect you to lift anything or get under your desk. Manual labour was part of our IT degree.

When the photocopier doesn't work, call Computer Support. There's electronics in it.

When you're getting a NO DIAL TONE message at home, call Computer Support. We can fix your telephone line from here.

When something's wrong with your home PC, dump it on an IT person's chair with no name, no phone number and no description of the problem. We love a puzzle.

When an IT person tells you that computer screens don't have cartridges in them, argue. We love a good argument.

When an IT person tells you that he'll be there shortly, reply in scathing tone of voice: "And just how many weeks do you mean by shortly?" That motivates us.

When the printer won't print, re-send the job at least 20 times. Print jobs frequently get sucked into black holes. When the printer still won't print after 20 tries, send the job to all 68 printers in the company. One of them is bound to work.

Don't learn the proper name for anything technical. We know exactly what is meant by "my thingy blew up".

When you call someone in to fix a problem - but don't tell them about the other 10 problems until they physically arrive. That's OK - we can clear our schedule for the rest of the day.

Don't use on-line help. On-line help is for wimps.

When your application can't do what you want... blame us, we write all the software that runs on your PC and can customise it on the fly. Bill Gates lets us do this.

Remember the IT guy doesn't need to think - he has seen every problem before.

If the mouse cable keeps knocking down the framed picture of your dog, lift the computer and stuff the cable under it. Mouse cables were designed to have 20 kg of computer sitting on top of them.

If the space bar on your keyboard doesn't work, blame it on the mail/NT/network upgrade. Keyboards are actually very happy with half a pound of muffin crumbs and nail clippings in them.

When you find an IT person on the phone, sit uninvited on the corner of their desk and stare at them until they hang up.

Feel perfectly free to say things like "I don't know nothing about that computer crap." We don't mind at all hearing our area of professional expertise referred to as crap.

When you need to change the toner cartridge in a printer, call IT Support. Changing a toner cartridge is an extremely complex task, and Hewlett-Packard recommends that it be performed only by a professional engineer with a Master's degree in nuclear physics.

When you think the network/e-mail/office application is going slow, call us as we have a button to press that makes it go back to it's normal speed.

When something's the matter with your computer, ask your secretary to call the help desk. We enjoy the challenge of having to deal with a third party who doesn't know about the problem.

The instant you call us (on our mobile) - we can see what's happening o n your screen and can solve it instantaneously.

Be aware that IT people don't need to use the toilet. So you have a right to be upset if we don't answer the phone.

When you receive a 30MB movie file, send it to everyone as a mail attachment. We've got lots of disk space on that mail server.

When an IT person gets in the lift pushing £100,000 worth of computer equipment on a trolley, ask in a very loud voice, "Good grief, you take the lift to go DOWN one floor?"

And finally, always remember.... we were sitting there waiting for your call.. The whole day!!!

Kind Regards,

Your humble servants ;-)

Thanks
    Legends

Sad thing is though half of the people receiving that probably won't take it as sarcasim...

Thanks
    LOL

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Don't forget to celebrate SysAdmin Day!
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams
    Don't forget to celebrate SysAdmin Day!
    AHA !!

Plagarist buggers

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Great

Thanks
    gawd.. reading down that list...

I'm sayin to meself.. "yep.. yep.. yep... been there.. I know someone who actually does that.. yep..."

Users = ignorant fools mostly

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    Hehe

It gets better - here is the circulated reply they just got from one of the guys in marketing...

RE: New IT Procedures! **PLEASE READ** F - U - R - B

When my PC breaks down for the fifth time in a day, blame it on some intricate technical coded problem I’m supposed to understand. It’s OK. I ought to understand computer code really, I’m ashamed of the fact that I don’t.

I am not entitled to expect my computer to work. When it breaks down I am happy to accept it as ‘probably a server problem’. That’s fine. I know that it is nothing to do with the fact that my computer is 15 years old because the company can’t afford both it and you.

Feel free to earn a living based on the phrase ‘Turn it off and on again.’ This does not translate as ‘I don’t know. Go away for 10 minutes’

I am not entitled to IT support before 11.00am. Computers work perfectly in the morning, this is why IT professionals are not required during the early hours of the day.

I acknowledge that you work long into the evening. The fact that if I am in the office after 8 o’clock I am as likely to see you there as I am to see the Dalai Lama at a bare knuckle boxing match is neither here nor there.

My failure to understand the detailed language of each application, programme and utility installed on my laptop is pathetic. Your failure to speak two coherent sentences in common language is not.

I acknowledge that when having persistent problems with my laptop, the solution ‘don’t undock it so often’ is perfectly reasonable. I’ve got a lap top because I like the colour. It’s nothing to do with ‘functionality.’

‘Functionality’ is a word. It does not refer to the complete opposite of its logical meaning.

The fact that my computer doesn’t ‘work’ is not a reason for replacing it. I am a flash poser. I am only after something that looks shiny and new.

Running a Windows Update is a perfectly sensible approach to problem solving. I do not ever suspect this to be a way to spend 10 minutes ‘helping’ me so I feel stupid when I need more help because the real source of the problem is still there.

‘What exactly is the problem?’ is a fair question to ask me when I come to you for assistance. I know exactly what the problem is and can therefore fix it myself. I ask you because I like the company I work for to blow half its budget on IT support to get people to help me with my problems.

When asking for help I respect the fact that my desire to talk to someone who sits 3 feet away from me for their full 5 hour day is completely unreasonable. It is much more sensible to log it on-line and wait till September.

Above all I will recite the company mission statement daily. “This is an IT company and the computers are all that matter. IT is not, and never has been, a tool to assist in delivering the business’s objectives more efficiently. Nothing I do whether it impacts directly on clients who fund the business is of any significance.”

I hope you enjoy your lunchtime as much as I have enjoyed mine. I promise not to disturb you. E-bay is important.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Skii; 28-05-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    LOL

Clearly your work mates have a sense of humour

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Skii, I hope that that reply was sent to all users too, as i can just imagine the sort of response going backwards and forwards round the company

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    Skii, I hope that that reply was sent to all users too, as i can just imagine the sort of response going backwards and forwards round the company

TiG
    It was m8 - everyone in the UK and US

took him half an hour to write it too - clever bugger

Easy Tiger!!!
    Thanks
    Pls post any other reply's

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skii
    When an IT person is eating lunch at his desk, walk right in and spill your problems right out. We don't even like eating food, we exist only to serve.

When you find an IT person on the phone, sit uninvited on the corner of their desk and stare at them until they hang up.
    i want to marry whoever wrote this its all good, and i found myself ticking off most of them but the 2 above happen to me just about every day

i have more to add..

if my phone goes straight to voicemail, please describe the exact problem you are having in as much detail as possible - IT staff are automatically allocated infinite voicemail space so your message will in no way fill our entire voicemail inbox & therefore won't prevent other messages (possibly more important than your loss of your favorite screensaver) getting through

please also ring back avery 2 minutes "just to check" if we're back yet - despite being technically minded, we obvioulsy haven't quite got the hang of voicemail & therefore we don't listen to our messages & don't ring people back

if all else fails and you can't get us on the phone, please ring someone else from another department who just happens to sit in the same part of the building as us and ask them if we're there - when they inform you we aren't, please spout your whole problem out to the person who answered the phone. despite the fact that they are actually an accountant, merely sitting in our presence has magically given them the ability to fix computer problems
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thread Information