View Poll Results: Do you believe in aliens?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I believe there are aliens out there

102 82.26%
  • No, there is no such thing as aliens.

22 17.74%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in aliens

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malfunction
    Well maybe that's the point... MAYBE the super powerful, advanced alien races have decided not to bother us until we start behaving... But even super powerful advanced alien races have the equivalent of chav's running around in juiced up Novas... Maybe the Zargon-Tech R488 Intergalatic vehicle looks quite nice in stock trim but those tasteless b******* just can't stop modding it!
    Finally, a concept that works, would also explain the merciless (sp?) killing of cattle, but unless you're implying all chavs are homo it doesn't explain anal probing

Ben

Thanks
    yeah i believe aliens exist maybe they can get here by using any of those time travel methods stirring the fabric of space causing a worm hole or moving at the faster than light, bending time around its self maybe just a realy long road trip
    i dont know. but i also like how god can squeeze him self on to anything that people can or can't believe in, magic, aliens, moving faster than the speed of light, evolution, and of course the creation of the universe

Thanks
    whoa! Holy thread revival!

Welcome to the forums, though mate!
    Beer is life, life is good!

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    It's a good thing this was an intesting thread, otherwise I'd be well peeved I'd just spent 10 minutes reading a 3 year old post.

But since I'm here, another vote for aliens. Although I think the Drake equation is inasanely optimistic. 0.001%? No bleedin' way. I'm swinging towards the Rare Earth hypothesis....but mainly 'cause it's got such a cool name.
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Huge bump but I cant resist throwing in my 2 cents.

Do animals exist on other planets in some form, at some time? Definitely.

Are they super intelligent? Possibly, at least in their own sense, I'm sure we might seem advanced to them too. Are they flying millions of light years to stick things in the in the anus's of redneck yahoos in the southern states of America? I'd say no.

Most likely somewhere out there is another race sitting on their planets wondering if there are other planets out there with life on, their probably sick of people claiming to have been abducted and anally violated by mysterious otherworldy species too.

Any species capable of flying that far isn't coming to do kinky things to farmers. If they can do all that I'm sure they would have a basic concept of government and power and point themselves toward whoever seemed powerful. Surely if they can fly that far they can pick up a newspaper or tune into CNN.

Thanks
    Blimey, 3 year-old thread.

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    There's been a lot of major league thread bumpage recently....It's the aliens I reckon...
    sig removed by Zak33

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pretty much what Chuckskull said.

There has to be life elsewhere in the universe; whether it's coming here and abducting rednecks/mutilating livestock is a whole other ballgame.

Some physicist I saw on a tv programme pointed out that any civilisation with the technology to travel the vast distances required in time/space to visit Earth would be so advanced that we'd either not see them or they'd disguise themselves as terrestrial craft etc.

Thanks
    I'm actually reading a book at the moment called "The Christian Agnostic", it goes into some discussion about life somewhere else in the universe and makes a mention that already we think there was a one in a billion million million trillion chance of life occurring on a planet, yet people have this stern belief in life somewhere else in the universe. If you believe the universe is infinite then there's a probability that there is life somewhere else. But whether it's intelligent life is another question

Thanks
    Yeah its weird reading what you wrote 3 years ago, I have to say though that I haven't changed my views since writing it. I just tend to get into less philosophical and religious debates these days lol

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    The Drake equation predicts 10,000 civilisations within our own galaxy, the Milky Way. Although I will say that it's obvious that this can never be tested and alot of the parameters are guestimates, it certainly gives impetus to the debate.

I often find people who believe that god did this or that to not really understand the significance of what they are saying or realise just how bloody vast the universe actually is. For all intense purposes it might aswell be considered infinite.

To suggest that we are the sole intelligent civilisation in this vastness is truely arrogant. People who think like this think in tens of years and not hundreds of millions.

I for one do hope that we will meet friendly aliens so that the myth of religion and deiety can finally be debunked along with all the other mumbo jumbo like crop circles etc.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    Meeting aliens wouldn't debunk the belief in a deity though. That deity could've well created aliens, thus back to square one

Thanks
    What if they believe in a different God and kill us all for being Infidels?
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!!!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    I believe, because i've seen Mrs Blair.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    The Drake equation predicts 10,000 civilisations within our own galaxy, the Milky Way. Although I will say that it's obvious that this can never be tested and alot of the parameters are guestimates, it certainly gives impetus to the debate.

I often find people who believe that god did this or that to not really understand the significance of what they are saying or realise just how bloody vast the universe actually is. For all intense purposes it might aswell be considered infinite.

To suggest that we are the sole intelligent civilisation in this vastness is truely arrogant. People who think like this think in tens of years and not hundreds of millions.

I for one do hope that we will meet friendly aliens so that the myth of religion and deiety can finally be debunked along with all the other mumbo jumbo like crop circles etc.
    Of course the universe is vast, and no human can comprehend how big it truly is. But you're ignoring the chance of life occurring (if it is a chance), its so astronomically small when taking into account the relative forces needed to sustain life, that it far outweighs the likely size of the universe, as kezzer said.

If you believe the universe is infinite then this doesn't matter, as the chances are the random conditions will be recreated, although your comment about the universe being very big "it might as well be infinite" is a bit naive, the difference between being very very very big, and infinite is fundamentally different and of great importance in a discussion like this.

There are 2 problems with this universe being infinite argument through. Firstly the universe being infinite isn't in line with our current understanding of science. Theories such as the big bang suggest a linear starting point, not something which is endless and has always existed. All of our laws to do with physics are based upon a linear understanding, I find it a bit contradictory to make a different rule for the size of the universe.

Secondly if there's no God, and the universe is infinite, in order for the random conditions to be recreated there needs to be a process, or machine in place, to be creating different galaxies etc, all with randomised forces and conditions, in order to randomly hit upon the astronomically small chances of life occurring. There is no evidence of this magical machine spitting out random galaxies, and assuming that it is occurring is very unscientific.

As I've said already there may be other life as it could be in the plan of the universe, but I don't believe it is. There is no contradiction between believing in God and believing in other life though. But it's on matters like this and the above points I mentioned where I believe religion offers more logical, rational and convincing explanations than others offered by athiests. Saying that religious people are arrogant and their arguments are mumbo jumbo is offensive, and you're the one being arrogant by not even considering their viewpoint.
    Last edited by Slick; 10-05-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    People just like thinking they're smart by coming up with magical theories to disprove religion. It's just ego-driven ventures

I'm not saying I'm smart here at all by the way, neither have I got any kind of moral high-ground.

I could easily sit here and disprove science, as could anyone whether they're scientists or religious fanatics.

Let's not even bother bringing religion into this.

As Slick said, if the universe is infinite, then there definitely is life out there because it would mean that an earth exactly like ours exists with the exact same life, buildings, atmosphere, the same solar system, everything exactly the same. That's the thing about infinity that people can't grasp

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information