Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my help on another forum, gets ugly

Ravens Nest

my help on another forum, gets ugly

I replied to a post on rage3d forums, trying to help someone with there lagging HD with games, little did i know how ugly it would get.

Not sure if this is a good idea posting it here, moderators please delete if it isnt appropriate.

But if anyone has time (quite a bit of reading needed) would you be able to comment on whether im an idiot and deserved what i got or was it the other bloke jonmc33??
    (or a bit of both)

Just need independent confirmation, as it seems very unfriendly on there fourms sometimes not like here

Well heres the link if you're interested..
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33704353

Thanks
    What a joke

Stick to HEXUS mate, it'd never happen here
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    what a moron, the most dangerous people are the ones who think they know it all, but don't

he's not as technical as he makes out.. i noticed quite a few areas where he was totally wrong in his technical arguements
    ------------------------------------
    information is not a property of matter, it's applied to matter by intelligence

Thanks
    Lol

I think you ran into Simpsons Comic Book Guy

'Wait, so you only have experience with Windows XP? How long have you worked in the IT industry? What's your experience? '

Paranoid??? Who Me???
    Thanks
    unfortunately theres always someone who thinks they have more 'experiance' than you and love to shout out how little you know....
    and someone how loves himself a little to much

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Ravens Nest, the man's a complete clown; it's perfectly possible in 2K to set the paging file to 0 min, 0 max, reboot (ignore the error, Windows will create a temp pageing file of about 20MB in size, but it'll vanish when you create a permanent pagefile), defrag until you're happy, then recreate a static swapfile (whatever min/max required). It'll try to bung it in the largest area of free contiguous space. I do it as a standard part of every 2K machine setup so I don't end up with fragged pagefiles.

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    sounds a bit of a tw*t to me mate - fortunately it wouldn't happen here

fair nuff everyone is entitled to their opinions (however misguided & incorrect they are - as per nichomach's post!) but there are ways & means of expressing & supporting your opinions other than riteous indignation at the very suggestion you may not be 100% correct, 100% of the time

i know its easier said than done, but just ignore him...he's obviously more concverned with havign a good argument & showing off what he thinks is his technical expertise to everyone than he is in helping anybody. u generally find not rising to it winds this sort of person up a treat

take comfort in the fact that this sort of person will never take telling or know when to just shut up, let it lie & accept that someone else may just know better, sooner or later he'll correct the wrong person in the wrong situation & will be left in no doubt as to the inappropriateness of his behaviour
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Maybe i'm missing something but Jonmcc33's first post said this....

"Get another 512MB RAM and just drop your paging file like a rock."

That seems to be the correct answer to me, if the guys got a gig of memory and he reduced his paging file, he's unlikely to get half as much hd lag as he would have been.

If it just stopped there it would have been fine. Personally i don't see much wrong with either of your comments.

Too much is played into what people say sometimes, - Hey i have the same feeling on here, People know i'm as subtle as a sledgehammer, but i only get angry with posts if i think they are giving deliberate miss information and i don't think thats the case here.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Ravens Nest
    What a joke Stick to HEXUS mate, it'd never happen here
    Thanks agent, i do most of the time, it's just its a site for radeon help (Supposedly) and i do find some good information there and have helped some other people as well, but some very opinionated people are on there making you feel like not going there no more sadly (the very vocal minority i call them)

what a moron, the most dangerous people are the ones who think they know it all, but don't he's not as technical as he makes out.. i noticed quite a few areas where he was totally wrong in his technical arguements
    Yeah thats what i thoughts exactly 1lv3r

We all make mistakes sometimes, i dont remember everything i read and i try to answer as best as i can if someone corrects me i read it and decide if they are right about what i said if not i have to disagree.

Some of his arguments were flawed but i didnt want to reply about them being wrong as he had a screw loose i think and doesnt take kindly to critism ( i know i've spelt that wrong he he).

Lol I think you ran into Simpsons Comic Book Guy 'Wait, so you only have experience with Windows XP? How long have you worked in the IT industry? What's your experience? '
    im going to imagine him saying it in that voice now
    Thanks skii made me laugh 'Worst ending ever'

unfortunately theres always someone who thinks they have more 'experiance' than you and love to shout out how little you know.... and someone how loves himself a little to much
    He reminded me of jimmy hart (off the WWF) running around with a megaphone attached to his mouth!

I think his room is cover with awards from when he was in the boy scouts and every room in his house has a mirror on the ceiling.

Thanks for the reply kaillum

Ravens Nest, the man's a complete clown; it's perfectly possible in 2K to set the paging file to 0 min, 0 max, reboot (ignore the error, Windows will create a temp pageing file of about 20MB in size, but it'll vanish when you create a permanent pagefile), defrag until you're happy, then recreate a static swapfile (whatever min/max required). It'll try to bung it in the largest area of free contiguous space. I do it as a standard part of every 2K machine setup so I don't end up with fragged pagefiles.
    nichomach thanks for the info, i havent a clue about 2000, but at least the clown doesnt either lol

Ravens Nest
    Originally posted by petrefax
    sounds a bit of a tw*t to me mate - fortunately it wouldn't happen here

fair nuff everyone is entitled to their opinions (however misguided & incorrect they are - as per nichomach's post!) but there are ways & means of expressing & supporting your opinions other than riteous indignation at the very suggestion you may not be 100% correct, 100% of the time

i know its easier said than done, but just ignore him...he's obviously more concverned with havign a good argument & showing off what he thinks is his technical expertise to everyone than he is in helping anybody. u generally find not rising to it winds this sort of person up a treat

take comfort in the fact that this sort of person will never take telling or know when to just shut up, let it lie & accept that someone else may just know better, sooner or later he'll correct the wrong person in the wrong situation & will be left in no doubt as to the inappropriateness of his behaviour
    Yeah i do wish i didnt rise to the bait, it kept the thread going way too long and he didnt listen anyway.

I was glad i realised when i was wrong, he like you said didnt.

I suppose people like him get strength from a reply, and feel ignored when they dont get one.

Ravens Nest
    Originally posted by TiG
    Maybe i'm missing something but Jonmcc33's first post said this....

"Get another 512MB RAM and just drop your paging file like a rock."

That seems to be the correct answer to me, if the guys got a gig of memory and he reduced his paging file, he's unlikely to get half as much hd lag as he would have been.

If it just stopped there it would have been fine. Personally i don't see much wrong with either of your comments.

Too much is played into what people say sometimes, - Hey i have the same feeling on here, People know i'm as subtle as a sledgehammer, but i only get angry with posts if i think they are giving deliberate miss information and i don't think thats the case here.

TiG
    Yeah if he left it there it would not have been bad advice, but i did get the feeling that bootvi didnt want to spend any money so suggested some pagefile optimisations and thats when i woke the sleeping giant

I thought some of his information was useful to bootvi and me also.

Yeah it was the mis-information that revved up my engine so i eventually had to retaliate.

But im done with him now, thanks for all your replys everyone.

At least i know now i wasnt just being stubborn, and ignoring what he was saying which would have caused him offence.

Ravens Nest
    Originally posted by nichomach
    I just realised you posted on that thread on there forum
    Watch he dont start on you m8

Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Well, I did skip the part before the semi-colon, so he doesn't really have an excuse, but I thought a gentle correction would be in order.

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    He neglects the fact that a pagefile is used with XP even if it is set to 0. Ive tried. (dunno bout other Os')

Got a gig of ram, tried setting it to 0 and my "pagefile useage" in taskmanager was still 190meg!?
    Ive tried sticking my pagefile on another drive, and yes, it was faster in windows, especially when multitasking thru half a dozen programs and loading times were better.

I do agree with him on some things like you're not gonna see *that* much improvement from disk to disk, nor will u really see faster frame rates cause everything is preloaded into ram. However the way he comes across he sounds like a moron, just ignore him

If Bootvi wants to get rid of harddisk lags between map loads then get a ramdrive, cause current harddisk technology is crap. No new harddisk or tweak is gonna see harddisk reading increase so much you're not gonna feel the read times between maps.
    Last edited by Bindibadgi; 21-08-2003 at 02:21 PM.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Not to mention that with stuff like photoshop will wibble a lot if you don't at least give them their own scratchdisks..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Ho yes - and 3D Studio whines if there's no pagefile as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information