Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D Day Remembrance.

Thanks

Important

Today marks the 60th Anniversary of the D-Day landings, where countries from all over the world sent troops to fight for there country. I was speaking to an ex wireless operator from a Lancaster (used the radio on a big plane ) the other week, he was the only Englishman on the plane, the rest were from... AUSTRALIA! What a journey that must have been, who flew on 31 succesfull missions (thats a lot more than you were supposed to do) including trips to Belin and Stutgart several nights in a row over 3-4 months. Although this is not actually to do with D-Day. He said something which i find very admiralable in this day and age. We were talking about how he felt about Germans now, and he said it upset him to see his fellow country men, in the present day, still insulting Germany and Germans for what they had done, he has no bad feelings towards Germany at all. Now this country were trying to shoot him out the sky, but he said that they were just doing there job as he was his...

I've lost the point of this thread a little bit, but i can think of a famous verse to end it.. to all nations that fought in the war..

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    well said. my gran's bro. fought in the landings, for the scot's guard who i believe were aiming for pegasus bridge, saddly he was killed. so many were lost on both sides of the terrible conflict. no words could ever amount to describing the fear, the saddness and the relief of people 60yrs ago. we truely owe them so much for our freedom today, and as the sun shines down on us today, they will be remembered...
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Rob
    Thanks
    I think it is too easy for later generations, who are caught up in this modern society of greed and self, to forget what these men and women fought for. You and I!

I shall always remember them... And I do my level best to pass this down to future generations as those brave men and women will not be around to remind us for much longer.

Banned
    Thanks

D Day Remembrance.

As everyone but the terminally ignorant knows, today, the country remembers the sacrifices of the British, American, Canadian and other nationality troops, who gave their lives, storming the beaches on D-Day, for our continued freedom.

If anyone has anything they'd like to say, a few comments on the day itself, or just to pay your respects to those who died fighting for their country, then this is the place to do it.

As its been a fine day, I've been sitting quietly in the back garden, sipping a drink in the sun. It was very humbling, listening to the stories of the veterans on the radio, telling of their experiences on the day itself, and the bravery they showed, charging headlong into the jaws of almost certain death.

Many of them didn't come back, and died on a foreign beach, far from their friends and family, so that I could sit in my garden today, free.

Make sure you remember them today.

EDIT - Noticed Russ already had a thread, so I've merged the two. Keep everything in one place.
    Last edited by Stewart; 06-06-2004 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    My dad's parnter's father was in WWII. In fact, he has gone to Normandy this year.

He's in his 80's now, but is still pretty fit for an 80 year old. He's quite short - I dwarf him as I am quite tall. Yet, 60 years on, you can tell he was in the military. His voice is still extremely authoritive - he's somebody you listen to!

It's a humbling experience to know somebody who fought in WWII. It is also admirable and amazing that he is still able to go to Normandy to remember the friends he fought with who weren't as lucky as he was. I can't imagine what it would be like for some of the people stood on that beach. The memories must come flooding back.

I have the upmost respect for him, and also for those who paid the ultimate price to ensure the freedom of our country.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by kez
    I have the upmost respect for him, and also for those who paid the ultimate price to ensure the freedom of our country.

I agree.

<3 to them
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    It pains me to even think that some people believe that those days are "in the past" and "no longer relevent" in todays society. Some would say that the services carried out today anchor us in the past any tie us to the mistakes of the World Wars.

Some people need a slap - a good one.

Where would we be today if those brave men (and even some kids at 17 and 16 yrs old) hadn't died on the beaches of normandy for the sake of our freedom? Probably still under a Nazi rule and forced into total cooperation to the facist regime.

A few years ago I went on a school trip to the Somme in France. Ok it was in World War I but I just wanted to make a point about the grave sites. If anyone watched the service on TV this morning in Bayeux which the Queen and French President attended you will have noticed that the sites are PERFECT. You will never see a place more carefully looked after and cleaned in the way the cemetarys in France are maintained. If you are ever in France make sure and visit some of these sites and pay your respects. We owe so much to the soldiers that died in those Wars and I count myself as lucky to have been to a few of those sites and signed some of the books of rememberance.

Excellent little verse there Russ.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    the most humbling thing is the sheer numbers of graves there are, not to mention almost half of which belong to unknown soldiers...