• 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Anyone in the armed forces?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Sorry admins, and at the risk of a ban.............that has to be the MOST IDIOTIC STATEMENT i have EVER read on a forum.
    What a complete fool!
    +1. I know people serving out there, and from chatting to them I am quite certain it is NOT a breeze by any stretch of the imagination. See earlier posts of mine - the one about jaws and lack thereof etc.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

OK, I thought I would another of my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by riding moon View Post
    Afghan is a breeze, forget the movies and TV. On patrol is where things take a turn for the worst so Ross Kemp is a example of that and normally the real causes for mishaps is because they all take it as if its a joke out there and forget simple things.
    I assume you are getting this info from someone in the RAF, or at the very least, someone who spends their time behind the wire? I wouldn't say it's a breeze, but it ceratainly is easier for someone like that than the Army as general. But it's only because of people in the Army, RAF Regiment and others who sacrifice their life and limb to keep the "core" areas like the airbases safe that most people I serve with don't expect to die, or even be injured whilst out of area, and oddly enough, are actually trying to volenteer to go OOA to get away from the monotony of their daily work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    Pay is lower, but thats mainly because Health and Dental is included (And healthcare costs in US)
    And tbh i am not THAT bothered about the pay, as long as its enough to keep my technology habit well fed. And i see what you mean about the ROE, in all the documentaries and YouTube clips the US army just blow crap up, and the UK forces knock on doors and stuff.
    Healthcare and Dental is free in the UK anyway, so I'm bit puzzled why you think the lower pay justifies that? Having said that, the on-base Med Centre can sometimes be a bit hit and miss (phone up Monday for an appointment, and get Friday as the earliest... ). As for the RoE, you have to remember that the UK has had a lot of experience in NI with regards to... "opposition" (sorry, might be the wrong word; vocab isn't my strong point). So, as you say, the British will try to get the local population on our side rather than a more "aggressive" policy. Having said that, I recently watched a video of what to expect when exploring compounds, and all I can say is that it's extremely tedious but necessary when looking at the bigger picture.

Also, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a chopper pilot! I think being an Apache pilot would be a dream job for me and have already expressed my love of them before. You don't actually need a degree to join up as a pilot, but because of supply and demand, recruiters can be very picky. Having said that, the two Apache pilots I met recently joked about being the main maritime strike aircraft since the retirement of the Harriers and not having an O-level between them! The fact they refer to O-levels states how long ago that was when they joined up. Even so, the gunner in one can be a SNCO (cheaper than an officer (cynicism) ), so there's always a chance. No idea what's it like the US though.

Finally, I don't think anyone is condemning you for joining up, just that the way you've come across of the forums does question the reason behind it. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure why I joined up (I didn't get lost on the way to the pub!): I wasn't looking to fight, but was prepared to go OOA if necessary. It wasn't financial either as it took 5 years to get to the wage I was on before (which puzzled the recruiter no end! ), and would no doubt be on better money now if I hadn't joined up. Having said that, the pension and retiring by 44 did sound good (although I've learnt a bit more about how that works now).

I still stand by my advise earlier though if you're desperate to join; go with the UK and get a trade.

3. Received thanks from:

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Sorry admins, and at the risk of a ban.............that has to be the MOST IDIOTIC STATEMENT i have EVER read on a forum.
    What a complete fool!
    Don't think that comes anywhere near banning material! A straightforward (and justified IMNSHO) on a comment by someone who has never experienced life on the front line (or any miltary service at all)

To address the OP,military life has its fun moments, with opportunities for adventure. Like all things the more you put into it, the more you get out. BUT, the bottom line is that you may be called upon to kill and be killed in the line of duty. It isn't 'a laugh', it requires dedication, because once you get into a position of responsibility (and that can come early if you show leadership potential) you are responsible for the lives and welfare of the people you are commanding. And if you don't aspire to promotion, your career in the armed forces is unlikely to be satisfying.

If you are considering a career as either a pilot or navigator/observer, you have to be a commissioned officer in the RAF and RN. That is not the case in the army, but (iirc), you have to be an NCO. Selection procedures are tough. Apart from academic ability, hand to eye coordination is essential, and competition for flying school is fierce, and the training is intensive.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

5. Received thanks from:

Blitzen (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Apart from academic ability, hand to eye coordination is essential, and competition for flying school is fierce, and the trainin is intensive.
    There was a BBC fly-on-the-wall documentary about the Army Air Corps a few years back. Why not see if you can hunt it down. It gave a good feel for the intensity of training involved in becoming a pilot.

Pancake

Just sent all my info, as in. ALL my info to Germany, as well as all my GCSE's and Diplomas to see if i am eligible, Once all that is over i have to fly to Germany, and then to the US for basic

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Pancake

Reckon its worth getting a Toughbook? or sticking to a Thinkpad?

Will my laptop REALLY get knocked around that much if pack it good?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Reckon its worth getting a Toughbook? or sticking to a Thinkpad?

Will my laptop REALLY get knocked around that much if pack it good?
    I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, and at the risk of being a bit fecitious, the real army isn't undertaken on notebooks.

For clarity: BF3 is a game, MoH is a game. CoD? Also a game.

The real army, by contrast, is like real life, no computer required. And they'll give you (most) of the kit you need there.

11. Received thanks from:

Blitzen (02-02-2012)

Pancake

Indeed, but id like to take my laptop, as most people do. And i can stick 2 x 1TB drives in there filled with movies

Thermoelectroceramicist redddraggon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • redddraggon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev2)
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair F60 SSD & 2x WD Caviar Green2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB in CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • JANET

Just sent all my info, as in. ALL my info to Germany, as well as all my GCSE's and Diplomas to see if i am eligible, Once all that is over i have to fly to Germany, and then to the US for basic
    Germany?

Desktop - i7 930, XMS3 6x2GB DDR3, X58A-UD3R (rev2), 2xHD5870 1GB (CrossFireX), Crucial C300 64GB , 2x2TB WD Caviar Green, Corsair 650TX
    Notebook - MacBook Pro 13" i5 Early 2011

My flickr

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Indeed, but id like to take my laptop, as most people do. And i can stick 2 x 1TB drives in there filled with movies
    Pancake... this thread has detiorated into make-believe now, I'm sorry to say.

What on EARTH has your laptop got to do with you joining the army? Who on earth plans to join up and starts worrying about buying a toughbook?

By the time you get anywhere close to being in training you'll hardly have time to be skimming through 2 tb of ripped movies.

What you'll probably want is everything you've ever spent, being refunded... so you can buy proper kit, decent boots, beer and fags.

Crack on kidder.... crack on.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Pancake

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    Pancake... this thread has detiorated into make-believe now, I'm sorry to say.

What on EARTH has your laptop got to do with you joining the army? Who on earth plans to join up and starts worrying about buying a toughbook?

By the time you get anywhere close to being in training you'll hardly have time to be skimming through 2 tb of ripped movies.

What you'll probably want is everything you've ever spent, being refunded... so you can buy proper kit, decent boots, beer and fags.

Crack on kidder.... crack on.
    Yeah, if only i asked loads of people and they said they often watched DVD's on laptops in spare time....

OH NO WAIT. That happened. And as for getting a toughbook, its an awesome escuse to get one. I have always wanted one. But i cant really get one as it doesn't get banged around as much. And the hard drives i already have, so why not use them?

"GRRR SOMEONE STILL CARES ABOUT A LAPTOP IN AN ARMY THREAD ON A TECH FORUM, MADNESS"

Why do you care so much? kidder?

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Yeah, if only i asked loads of people and they said they often watched DVD's on laptops in spare time....

OH NO WAIT. That happened. And as for getting a toughbook, its an awesome escuse to get one. I have always wanted one. But i cant really get one as it doesn't get banged around as much. And the hard drives i already have, so why not use them?

"GRRR SOMEONE STILL CARES ABOUT A LAPTOP IN AN ARMY THREAD ON A TECH FORUM, MADNESS"

Why do you care so much? kidder?
    Rightly or wrongly it is (well this is how I'm reading it) that you're more concerned about what items you will still be able to purchase, and what will keep you occupied in any spare time. Instead of joining up for the love of your Country, and all the citizens of.
    It does appear to be that your priorities seem somewhat in the wrong order.

Also from a few of the responses you don't take kindly to people disagreeing or pointing out a few things. If this is what your like on an internet forum, I'm not sure any of the Forces are the way to go.
    Last edited by Guy; 22-01-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Better? ;)

Pancake

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Rightly or wrongly it is (well this is how I'm reading it) that you're just as concerned about what items you will still be able to purchase, and what will keep you occupied in any spare time. Instead of joining up for the love of your Country, and all the citizens of. It does appear to be that your priorities seem somewhat in the wrong order.
    If they are the same, how can they be in the wrong order?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I assume in the UK you would not loose your citizenship if you served in the US army,right?? Better check that one too!

Its seems US laws are quite tough then!

An Officer or Warrant Officer in the US Army must be a US citizen alone, and renounce all other citizenship, per US law.

Pancake

Yeah, i will probably start out as infantry, i dont mind living in the US though. So its all good!

Just gotta choose a state

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information