Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the armed forces?

Pancake

Re: Anyone in the armed forces?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    For me I found it odd how you described choppers as cool, yet showed no understanding or aptitude of what it takes to fly one, as a result I might have unfairly written you off as having no hope of ever getting near the cockpit, but when you fail to head the advice and warning of people who've served, people who like me grew up in the milarty and am almost something of a pahria to have not served (compared to my old school friends) it is very sad.
    This doesn't even make sense, what does it matter if i think a helicopter is cool? lmfao. And yes, i did show no understanding of what it takes to fly one. I am 17 and in college, not a helicopter pilot...

You people have some issues.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    This doesn't even make sense, what does it matter if i think a helicopter is cool? lmfao. And yes, i did show no understanding of what it takes to fly one. I am 17 and in college, not a helicopter pilot...

The people you are saying have issues are those that are trying to help you and give you advice, advice which you seem to be ignoring or treating as rubbish. Instead of thanking people for being honest you are being quite rude.

I wanted to join the army once, as I grew up it was for the wrong reasons, so I decided on another career path, I had no one pointing me in the right direction or giving me advice, but you do, so listen to it and take it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

No this is the problem. A friend of mine who at 26 is a fast jet pilot, he thought at 17 they where cool, but he also knew a shedload about them, probably more than I do right now, and I've a private pilots license.....

That is the point, you seem blind to what awaits you, I'll be as blunt as possible here.

You will never fly a helicopter, or a plane for the military.

It is highly unlikely that you have the aptitude. I am clearly not the only one who thinks this here.

How many infantrymen men who see combat commit suicide, what do you think this number is?

Our issue is we think you've no idea what the armed forces involves, what they will not just expect but demand from you, and what you will get back.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

4. Received thanks from:

Blitzen (04-02-2012)

Thermoelectroceramicist redddraggon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • redddraggon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev2)
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair F60 SSD & 2x WD Caviar Green2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB in CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • JANET

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It is highly unlikely that you have the aptitude.
    No one can disagree with that, the vast majority of people will not have the aptitude.

Desktop - i7 930, XMS3 6x2GB DDR3, X58A-UD3R (rev2), 2xHD5870 1GB (CrossFireX), Crucial C300 64GB , 2x2TB WD Caviar Green, Corsair 650TX
    Notebook - MacBook Pro 13" i5 Early 2011

My flickr

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I had friends from Cambridge uni, really clever guys, studying engineering who got through the aptitude tests "by the skin of their teeth". The bar is not purely an academic one, but you need to be able to do mental maths while simultaneously doing a raft of other things. If the guy's dream is to join up to eventually get to fly, can he calculate velocity and fuel consumption to give an estimated remaining flight time while brushing his teeth with one hand and playing snake on his phone with the other. It's that sort of stuff they test (albeit in a more technical + controlled way). That and the whole dropping your kegs for the cough test.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

@peterb Can you please point out where i have had a "naive and immature view of military life"?
    I think others have answered that adequately, indicating that it is not only me that has gained that impression, gained solely from the nature of your posts here.

But to repeat my earlier post, if you do decide to pursue a military career, and are accepted for training, I wish you every success, in what can be a very demanding profession.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Pancake

Well, the fact that no one could even quote a post tells me something too, and the fact of the matter is, i was not asking whether people think i am right for the army. I am still yet to realise how everyone in this thread already knows me outside of a few posts on a forum well enough to decide my career for me too :S

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, the fact that no one could even quote a post tells me something too, and the fact of the matter is, i was not asking whether people think i am right for the army. I am still yet to realise how everyone in this thread already knows me outside of a few posts on a forum well enough to decide my career for me too :S
    As I (and others) said, it isn't one post, it is an overall impression gained from several posts. And you are quite right, no-one knows you from posts, because they are a one dimensional form of communication. But you can still create an impression.

And you asked for opinions:

<---snip
    just wanted some actual opinions from people. Im assuming i should actually be pretty well off as i will have near to no costs really
    and you got them, I'm sorry you don't like them. But perhaps if you had done a little more homework into a possible military career, your questions here might have been better informed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

blueball

If you aren't going to like the answer don't ask the question!

Thanks
    • billythewiz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth P67
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Clocked to 4.7GHz with Alpenfohn Matterhorn Performance Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 / Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer V243H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20Gb/s

I'm with Blitzen, TheAnimus, blueball, perterb and no doubt a few other on this thread.
    I was born in the military (father was a Royal Marine for 22 years), so I have first hand experience of how military people react if you are blaze or flippant about military life (or combat especially).

I think pancake's posts in this thread are tantamount to trolling. As such I think we should keep our food to ourselves. There's no more advice to be given.

12. Received thanks from:

Blitzen (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Havent read much of this thread (apologies, time restraints) but i noticed pancake that you mentioned the ross kemp documentaries, a friend of mine was on there with his family. Travis Mackin gave his life defending this country and the devastation it caused in his family was bad, he was a true soldier and his brothers are amazing people but you can still see the effects its had over these years.

I wouldnt wish it on anyone and id certainly recommend looking away from the military route if you dont want to risk hurting your family, and especially if you just 'fancy' doing it over a boring job... this isnt something you just do for a laugh or the sake of it... its serious stuff and regardless what these 'war' films show you, its bad out there so you have to seriously look at yourself and agree without doubt that it is right for you before jumping in the tests etc.

Best bet is to go down to the local army recruitment centre and ask there(if you havent already!). Regardless though, i wish you the best of luck whatever your choice!.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Pancake

Quote Originally Posted by billythewiz View Post
    I'm with Blitzen, TheAnimus, blueball, perterb and no doubt a few other on this thread.
    I was born in the military (father was a Royal Marine for 22 years), so I have first hand experience of how military people react if you are blaze or flippant about military life (or combat especially).

I think pancake's posts in this thread are tantamount to trolling. As such I think we should keep our food to ourselves. There's no more advice to be given.
    Quite frankly i dont care what you think, i was asking for opinions of what its like NOT whether you think i should join.

I dont think you understand trolling? and yes i think you should keep your "food" to yourself. All the people you listed have not given any advice and are just stuck up angry middle age poeple it seems. Sorry you have had a crap life or whatever has lead to your weird posts

Pancake

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Havent read much of this thread (apologies, time restraints) but i noticed pancake that you mentioned the ross kemp documentaries, a friend of mine was on there with his family. Travis Mackin gave his life defending this country and the devastation it caused in his family was bad, he was a true soldier and his brothers are amazing people but you can still see the effects its had over these years.

I wouldnt wish it on anyone and id certainly recommend looking away from the military route if you dont want to risk hurting your family, and especially if you just 'fancy' doing it over a boring job... this isnt something you just do for a laugh or the sake of it... its serious stuff and regardless what these 'war' films show you, its bad out there so you have to seriously look at yourself and agree without doubt that it is right for you before jumping in the tests etc.

Best bet is to go down to the local army recruitment centre and ask there(if you havent already!). Regardless though, i wish you the best of luck whatever your choice!.
    Thanks for the actually helpful post, one of the only people here it seems!

To be honest i had already decided if i was joining before the thread was created, and then i even stated this half way through, so its beyond me why the trolls continue to post

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quite frankly i dont care what you think, i was asking for opinions of what its like NOT whether you think i should join.

I dont think you understand trolling? and yes i think you should keep your "food" to yourself. All the people you listed have not given any advice and are just stuck up angry middle age poeple it seems. Sorry you have had a crap life or whatever has lead to your weird posts
    I'm not middle aged.
    I'm not stuck up.
    I'm certainly not angry.

What I am is trying to tell you that with your attitude you have more chance of being prime Minister than a pilot in the Armed Forces.
    We don't know you (can't say i am disappointed), but your infantile and belligerent demeanour makes you completely unemployable by any service.
    Not only would you not fit in, but the attitude would be beaten out of you within hours.

Lastly, i have had a FANTASTIC life, and probably better than anything you have to look forward to.
    Travelled all over the world.
    Had fantastic jobs since leaving the RM.
    Never had to worry about money.
    Have great family and friends.

I have spent the large part of my early adult years doing a job that most people wouldn't be able to, and it SICKENS me that a child (you are...you are 17), has the nerve to knock it. The forces may do you good if they are desperate enough to take you, as it may make you realise where you are going wrong.

/sits back and waits for the admin slap.

17. Received thanks from:

Pancake

Hahah yet again, show me where i knocked the armed forces? SHOW ME

blueball

Hahah yet again, show me where i knocked the armed forces? SHOW ME
    OK

All the people you listed have not given any advice and are just stuck up angry middle age poeple it seems. Sorry you have had a crap life or whatever has lead to your weird posts
    You are being rude and abusive to military veterans.

20. Received thanks from:

Blitzen (04-02-2012)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information