• Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Over-friendly Customer Service

I've had a mixed experience with this recently. Had a chat with a really friendly lady at Orange when I was renegotiating my contract, chatted a bit whilst she had a see what she could arrange and was a generally pleasant experience. We were on the phone for about 30 minutes, so whilst she started off very formally, the conversation developed a bit over time and seemed very natural.

Today, I rang up Orange and halfway through a purely perfunctory call, the guy randomly asks me how my day has been so far, then begins telling me about his shift and how tired he is. A few weeks ago I rang an insurance firm to get a quote and the guy starts asking me about what I'm up to, what my house is like, whether I've had any trouble with the landlords, and goes off on several 'hilarious' anecdotes about him and 'the lads' getting wasted. With a pathetically tangential link to my situation, of course.

It really irks me, partly because it's so affected, and partly because it seems a bit intrusive when I'm just ringing for a quote or info about my bill. When I'm paying by the minute, it's all the more frustrating. However, I've never really said anything since I presume they've been told to 'be friendly' by a manager somewhere along the line and from my experience in retail, it can put the employee in a very awkward position.

My mum on the other hand had a real go at someone a while back when they referred to her by her first name in their opening greeting, on the basis that someone she's never met should use her surname, unless she's given express permission.

Is it something that firms are trying to promote to make their customers feel more at home with them, or a just a general decline in formality, in this instance demonstrated by customer service staff?

And if you've had it before, is it something you appreciated? If it did in the future, how would you feel? Or am I just being too picky?

Thanks

Re: Over-friendly Customer Service

In a lot of cases call centre workers have one of the most boring and sometimes, demeaning jobs going.

If it helps get them through the day, I'm more than happy to banter with them.

There are very few situations where I'd prefer someone to be formal with me on the phone over being laid back. Life is a bit too short for me to worry about someone being too friendly.

Sounds like one hell of a first world problem snootyjim
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

If I ring up a call centre and they ask for my name, I usually give my surname. If they know my name and ask if they can use my first name, I don't usually object.

A lot depends on the circxumstances - if I am complaing about something, I prefer to be more formal, otherwise less so - and a lot depends on the person at the othe end of the phone - if we 'click' then it is much easier to be informal, and sometimes that gets better results!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

happened a few years ago before i got the ole ball and chain ended up phoning up for a quote got really chatty for about 3/4 hour rang the girl back re the quote chatted real informally ended up dating her for 8 months !!
    so if this is a new trend coming in to make you feel more at ease or beguile you into accepting a quote then i may be in a pile of c*** soon

Thanks

It's something I really dislike, and its not just call centres. I first came across it many years ago in starbucks when 3 separate staff asked how my day was and tried to make inane chat with me when I simply just wanted to get my coffee and get out. Don't get me wrong, I like friendly service but I don't want to chat to people 99% of the time so I don't like this growing trend in retail where the staff are under pressure from management to make awkward conversation with their customers. In my previous job it was something that my manager was constantly on my case about to, it seems quick, efficient and friendly service isn't what the company wanted, they wanted you to talk absolute nonsense with every customer regardless of your natural personality.

It's just another unwanted Americanisation of the UK as far as I see it.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

i usually insist they call me by my 1st name, i know some call centers and my credit card have this on file and answer the phone that way now.

i can't be doing with the random chats though, i am not really a people person who enjoys a random chat.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

I've no issue with call centrs using my first name, I hate being alled Mr. (Insert surname here)

I work in a call centre, a.nd I will usually ask to use the callers first name if they give it to me first, if I'm not sure I will ask if they don't mind. They will soon tell me then what they prefer.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I've had a mixed experience with this recently. Had a chat with a really friendly lady at Orange when I was renegotiating my contract, chatted a bit whilst she had a see what she could arrange and was a generally pleasant experience. We were on the phone for about 30 minutes, so whilst she started off very formally, the conversation developed a bit over time and seemed very natural.

Today, I rang up Orange and halfway through a purely perfunctory call, the guy randomly asks me how my day has been so far, then begins telling me about his shift and how tired he is. A few weeks ago I rang an insurance firm to get a quote and the guy starts asking me about what I'm up to, what my house is like, whether I've had any trouble with the landlords, and goes off on several 'hilarious' anecdotes about him and 'the lads' getting wasted. With a pathetically tangential link to my situation, of course.

It really irks me, partly because it's so affected, and partly because it seems a bit intrusive when I'm just ringing for a quote or info about my bill. When I'm paying by the minute, it's all the more frustrating. However, I've never really said anything since I presume they've been told to 'be friendly' by a manager somewhere along the line and from my experience in retail, it can put the employee in a very awkward position.

My mum on the other hand had a real go at someone a while back when they referred to her by her first name in their opening greeting, on the basis that someone she's never met should use her surname, unless she's given express permission.

Is it something that firms are trying to promote to make their customers feel more at home with them, or a just a general decline in formality, in this instance demonstrated by customer service staff?

And if you've had it before, is it something you appreciated? If it did in the future, how would you feel? Or am I just being too picky?
    Just put on a real sexy voice and tell them to phone you back after youve slipped into something more comfortable

m

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

it's a way to break down barriers to make you feel less cautious.. it's a sales technique ..
    find out what ya can pass on information to help the next sales person ..
    keep to the point and make sure they do .. your time is important to you ..
    if they ask you questions ask them why they need to know ?

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by flearider View Post
    it's a way to break down barriers to make you feel less cautious.. it's a sales technique ..
    find out what ya can pass on information to help the next sales person ..
    keep to the point and make sure they do .. your time is important to you ..
    if they ask you questions ask them why they need to know ?
    Yes, it gets you off guard and more likely to buy something, or at least be less likely to haggle more.

If youre on the ball though, you could always make up false information, psychological warfare works in both directions, and the more tragic the better.

Thanks

I also prefer being called by my first name. Chit-chat kinda beats being put on hold (especially for a long time) because I'd be less worried about being cut off, but the most important part for me is minimum courtesy plus the ability of addressing the issues I am calling about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I also prefer being called by my first name. Chit-chat kinda beats being put on hold (especially for a long time) because I'd be less worried about being cut off, but the most important part for me is minimum courtesy plus the ability of addressing the issues I am calling about.
    Totally agree.

I don't mind a chat, as long as the call isn't costing me anything! ...I've had a bit of banter when ringing up about my car insurance as my supplier has a welsh call centre.

It's nice for them and me - if they know I am a person and I know their name, they are more likely to try to help me, hopefully! And for them, having someone nice to talk to might make a change to some of the less pleasant calls they will probably take at some point.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

Quote Originally Posted by jackobyte View Post
    happened a few years ago before i got the ole ball and chain ended up phoning up for a quote got really chatty for about 3/4 hour rang the girl back re the quote chatted real informally ended up dating her for 8 months !!
    so if this is a new trend coming in to make you feel more at ease or beguile you into accepting a quote then i may be in a pile of c*** soon
    Never heard that before, makes a great story to tell! I have to admit, whenever I ask for their name to make a record of a call (for important things) i always google the to see what come sup. it always amazes me to see how many of them have open facebooks etc!

Thanks
    • doyll49's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • I7 980 @ 3.5GHz; PH-TC14PE; 2x TR TY-147 ducted out back
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Ballistix Sport GB (3x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • 2x750GB, 2x1.5TB, 2x2.0TB 1 of each is backu0p
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX DC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650 v2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R2; 3x TY-140 all PWM controlled by CPU socket PWM signal
      • Operating System:
      • Win XP Pro... thinking about Win 7

I used to spend a good part of my day getting prices and making deals on the phone. Is always much nicer to have a friendly conversation when getting quote, placing an order, resolving problem or whatever. Being friendly often helps with better prices, better service, knowing who to call with a problem, etc.

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Having worked in retail for the last 4 years and both of those jobs required answering the phones and dealing with queries, sometimes it was just for a quote or sizes other times it was to complain that the drivers delivering their sofas were sat having a cig on it in the back ally you develop a certain telephone manner over the years, basically my phone calls sound like something off BBC news to the point but nice with it. I'd never ask someone about their house or going out on the weekends as its a little outa bounds imo but will have a joke and laugh if their that sort.

Besides you should cut them a little slack, you would be surprised what customer service and sales people put up with, having seen and dealt with things from people threatening to strangle their selves with recliner cords to finding dead fish stuffed all over the shop to people screaming at you down the phone saying you are killing them and their husband and sending them to a early grave because they can't sit down having got rid of the sofa after 8 weeks when I clearly told them 14-16wks....

Sorry turning into a rant on my part ill shut up now lol.

16. Received thanks from:

SHare (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    • doyll49's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • I7 980 @ 3.5GHz; PH-TC14PE; 2x TR TY-147 ducted out back
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Ballistix Sport GB (3x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • 2x750GB, 2x1.5TB, 2x2.0TB 1 of each is backu0p
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX DC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650 v2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R2; 3x TY-140 all PWM controlled by CPU socket PWM signal
      • Operating System:
      • Win XP Pro... thinking about Win 7

@ Jasp; Breath in slowly... now out.. In again. You look better already.
    You are right on. Giving phone staff a pat on the back, a little joke here and there goes a long way. Makes everyone feel better and can even lead to better outcome.

Thread Information