Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: To be or not to be - what do you live for?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: To be or not to be - what do you live for?

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    The assumption here is about how God should or would do things, but that's a postulation. Why should God do something one way and not another?

We have to be careful with our assumptions of how things should be or what should be done. It's a deceptively arrogant position. ....
    Indeed. You'll notice from what I said, though, that I wasn't saying I assumed anything of the sort, but that "many theistic claims" did. So if God is supposedly perfect, and you find imperfections, either God isn't God or what those claiming those attributes for him are saying is false ... and is therefore not the word of a God.

That is not an argument against (or for) the existence of God, but of what those religious practitioners have to say about it.

Therefore, if you cannot rely on what the established churches claim is the word of God, then you have to seek a direct relationship with Him yourself ... and draw conclusions and/or opinions as a result of your experiences.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuddam View Post

Most skeptics take pride in their intellectual ability and like to think that they have no "beliefs." However, modern science has shown us that everyone has beliefs, since this is how our brains work.

Although we would like to think that everything we believe is based upon evidence and logic, this is simply not true.......
    I would also point out that I've stated, some number of times, that my beliefs are exactly that .... beliefs. And that I do not exclude the possibility that God exists, in one form or another, including that one of the established religions might be absolutely right.

However, since I see no evidence of it, and it is not for lack of trying, I simply decline to run my life based on the claims of a number of long-dead people about what they saw or experienced, or what they say is the word of God.

We all have a choice - believe, or don't believe, in God. I don't, and I don't because I see no reason, no evidence at all, to do so. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Again it appears to be a confusion between Induction and a Faith.
    I have no faith but admit to using induction on a daily basis.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information