Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bus driver jailed for 17 months.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Re: Bus driver jailed for 17 months.

in a way, i don't deny he deserved locking up, but a day inside and his life is over, no chance in driving for a living again because someone waved the finger in his face until he lost it. I think he has had enough losing his job, maybe his family and his house will also go.

the cyclist is ok now, a couple of months for his huge mistake and he is lucky to be able to carry on but the bus drivers got a lot of time to think about his next move.

you can see plain as day the bus driver knew he had just fubard his life the second he hit him or he would not have stopped.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

The problem is, These days alot of cyclists seem to be on some kind of an angry aggressive crusade on the roads and alot of times it is unnecessary.

I used to cycle to work when I was younger, I don't remember any real dangerous incidents and I never yelled abuse at drivers or banged on their cars. If I saw a bus indicating like in the clip on the roundabout, I just simply slowed and let in across. The same as I would when driving my car, a coach or a HGV.

I just don't understand the mindset of cyclists today, I recently got into an argument (not on the road of course) with a keen cyclist over them being responsible for their own safety and his response to why do cyclists run red lights was "because it is safer". How the heck can it be safer to jump a red light than it is wait?
    Last edited by Sputnik; 18-02-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    The cyclist did *not* cut him up. Both vehicles start stationary, the cyclist moves right when he sets off - either to deliberately piss off the bus driver, in which case he's a tool, or to get into the right turn lane at the junction ahead. The bus driver then swerves round him and deliberate drives into him. Which bit of trying to kill someone with a bus do you think is OK, exactly?
    At 00:05: Both start to drive away, the cyclist is in the middle of the lane towards the far right (his view point), when there is no reason he should be.

00:11: The bus starts to move to overtake, the cyclist is still in the same spot, middle to the far right of the lane, totally taking the entire lane up, forcing any traffic to move fully into the other lane to overtake.

00:12: The Cyclist still hasn't moved but decides to do a "jerky" movement which I call cutting him up.

00:13: Bus driver loses his rag and hits him.

It's god damn obvious that the Cyclist by choosing to remain in the far right of that lane was clearly provoking the Bus driver.

By default, Cyclists are always in the far left of a lane and only move to the right of the lane to turn, even then, in all the times I have rode on the roads, I never rode in the far right of the lane, never seen anyone do it.

Since this all started with sometype of disagreement between then, they both deserve for what happened to each other, the bus driver is clearly affected by Road Rage while the Cyclist is undergoing a phase of stupidity.

Nice example of karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I just don't understand the mindset of cyclists today, I recently got into an argument (not on the road of course) with a keen cyclist over them being responsible for their own safety and his response to why do cyclists run red lights was "because it is safer". How the heck can it be safer to jump a red light than it is wait?
    If he is running a red line to turn left, I don't see a problem with that, a cyclist can turn into that road in a blink of a eye and has far better awareness then someone in a car if the traffic is low.. if it's heavy traffic with cars moving tho without any breaks between then... that could be pretty risky and I would avoid that.

Thanks

Saw this on another forum, can't believe that's all he had, I'd call that attempted murder!

It doesn't matter what the cyclist had done beforehand. No one in their right mind should attempt to even nudge a cyclist, let alone swing your vehicle into one; especially if you're a professional driver.

Disgusting behaviour.

I can only assume the people siding with the driver are just trolling.

If he was really getting wound up, he could have at least got off the bus to confront him. Not use a 4 tonne? bus as a weapon.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Extreme action there from the Bus Driver it has to be said, that was a bit too far. Perhaps a blast on the horn of the bus to scare the cylcist out of hits whits would have been better and made him think ok I've been a bit of a numpty I'll think twice about arguing with bus driver again in future.

Cyclists do seem to think though that they own the roads, I've met quite a few inconsiderate ones. Like sitting slap bang in the middle of a lane on a single carrige way which is 60mph road holding up the traffic behind being unable to take as oncoming traffic on the other side is pretty heavy.

I've been sat at traffic lights and they sail by on the passenger side and clip my car but because they don't have to have insurance they can get away with it. I still think a basic level of insurance if you choose ride a bike is required, I know I've said that before on this very foum and I know I've been flamed for it, but thats just my opinion.

However the poor bloke didn't deserver to be run over, even if he was acting like a two wheeled terrorist.

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

The problem is, These days alot of cyclists seem to be on some kind of an angry aggressive crusade on the roads and alot of times it is unnecessary.

Watch some of these incidents and you'll see - this is just the experiences of one person in London.

This article might help you understand.
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
    At 00:05: Both start to drive away, the cyclist is in the middle of the lane towards the far right (his view point), when there is no reason he should be.

00:11: The bus starts to move to overtake, the cyclist is still in the same spot, middle to the far right of the lane, totally taking the entire lane up, forcing any traffic to move fully into the other lane to overtake.

00:12: The Cyclist still hasn't moved but decides to do a "jerky" movement which I call cutting him up.

00:13: Bus driver loses his rag and hits him.
    That's some rose-tinted glasses you're watching the clip through. Where did you get them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    yet another reason why a bike on the road should have insurance and registration, that way you are traceable and will be responsible for your own actions.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks
    • roachcoach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 4x 1 TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEd. 765MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 950W CMPSU-950TXUK
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u

I regularly set off early at lights, provided I know the sequence and nothing is coming - gets me more visible early and allows me to get into position quickly and easily. Not to mention it prevents me holding up traffic (which doesnt really happen anyway, but prevention is better than cure).

By 'early' I mean the other lights have went red, no pedestrians activating crossing and jumping just before 'my' light ambers. There's no harm, no one gets hurt and provided I'm looking and paying attention, it's overall safer for me.

I never do it on unknown junctions however

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Yes... he was overtaking him till the cyclist cut him up in the middle of the road... because it's totally fine and safe for a cyclist to use the middle of the road like that. YOU know... as a cyclist myself, I always drive in the middle of the road, blocking cars and buses, because it's so safe isn't it, doesn't piss people off or cause road rage.

Please, I love to ride my bike right in front of you too, let's see how long till you rage about it.

!

Read up on taking primary position.
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Quote Originally Posted by roachcoach View Post
    I regularly set off early at lights, provided I know the sequence and nothing is coming - gets me more visible early and allows me to get into position quickly and easily. Not to mention it prevents me holding up traffic (which doesnt really happen anyway, but prevention is better than cure).

By 'early' I mean the other lights have went red, no pedestrians activating crossing and jumping just before 'my' light ambers. There's no harm, no one gets hurt and provided I'm looking and paying attention, it's overall safer for me.

I never do it on unknown junctions however
    I'm much the same. 80% of my cycling is done on the same roads, day in, day out and I know the lights rather well. There is absolutely no harm in it whatsoever but you wouldn't believe the amount of 'punishment passes' I get as a result.

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    yet another reason why a bike on the road should have insurance and registration, that way you are traceable and will be responsible for your own actions.
    That's an entirely separate issue, and I don't want to drag this thread OT.

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed the cyclist appearing to deliberately swerve towards the white line as the bus attempts to overtake.

From my point of view, I think the bus driver was angry and was looking to overtake until this 'nutter' on the bike until he decided to swerve towards the line and then the bus driver just lost it and knocked him off.

The more I look at the footage of the roundabout which appears to have been the point of the cyclists anger, I see very little wrong apart from the cyclist not reacting on the indicator of the bus.

If he is running a red line to turn left, I don't see a problem with that, a cyclist can turn into that road in a blink of a eye and has far better awareness then someone in a car if the traffic is low.. if it's heavy traffic with cars moving tho without any breaks between then... that could be pretty risky and I would avoid that.
    I was talking about cyclists going straight on at a crossroads controlled by traffic lights. A couple of years back the police in London started giving them fines for it and they didn't like it one bit.

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    Watch some of these incidents and you'll see - this is just the experiences of one person in London.
    I've seen alot of the GAZ545 videos and it seems to me his just one angry man on a bike who seems to get himself into a lot of close shaves. Alot of which he could avoid if he used his brakes occasionally.

I don't need to be brainwashed by this crap, It's DANGEROUS to run a red light PERIOD. That is why we have laws and motorists caught doing it are fined for it and given points. I'm quite happy to accept that doing a left turn at a red light is OK if the person checks it is safe to do so and nothing it coming from their right but, In this country it is STILL illegal to do so. To go straight on at a cross roads is NOT even debatable.

Cyclists want it all, You've got road cycle warriors like that GAZ545 going around filming and reporting drivers of cars, Buses and HGVs for not driving according to his ideals (Of course there are some that are bad) and yet at the same time, They think it is perfectly OK for cyclists to pick and choose which bits of the highway code or road traffic law they decide they want to comply with or to ignore.

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Quote Originally Posted by bledd View Post
    Saw this on another forum, can't believe that's all he had, I'd call that attempted murder!

It doesn't matter what the cyclist had done beforehand. No one in their right mind should attempt to even nudge a cyclist, let alone swing your vehicle into one; especially if you're a professional driver.

Disgusting behaviour.

I can only assume the people siding with the driver are just trolling.

If he was really getting wound up, he could have at least got off the bus to confront him. Not use a 4 tonne? bus as a weapon.
    This driver had been driving buses for 10 years without a blemish on his record, What happened was this prick on a bike wound him up soo much that the driver eventually snapped. Of course, The drivers reaction was extreme and not something he should have done. Even the sanest and most mentally stable people can be pushed too far.

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

I've seen alot of the GAZ545 videos and it seems to me his just one angry man on a bike who seems to get himself into a lot of close shaves. Alot of which he could avoid if he used his brakes occasionally.

Wooooooooooooosh.

I don't need to be brainwashed by this crap, It's DANGEROUS to run a red light PERIOD. That is why we have laws and motorists caught doing it are fined for it and given points. I'm quite happy to accept that doing a left turn at a red light is OK if the person checks it is safe to do so and nothing it coming from their right but, In this country it is STILL illegal to do so. To go straight on at a cross roads is NOT even debatable.
    That's a second woosh for you!

Cyclists want it all, You've got road cycle warriors like that GAZ545 going around filming and reporting drivers of cars, Buses and HGVs for not driving according to his ideals (Of course there are some that are bad)

Those 'ideals' that you are referring to happen to also be law.

and yet at the same time, They think it is perfectly OK for cyclists to pick and choose which bits of the highway code or road traffic law they decide they want to comply with or to ignore.
    Yeah, it's only cyclists that both complain about other road users and break the law themselves. Definitely never see any other road users doing anything like tha... OH WAIT

The reason cyclists are so vocal about the problems they face is the current state of the roads are so unsafe/unfair for cyclists that complaining about it seems to be the only way of being noticed.

I'm not denying there are a load of terrible cyclists out there, by the way, because there are. But for every 1 bad cyclist there are 20 terrible drivers. Which do you think is of more serious consequence?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information