• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    If you happen to share the same name as someone on 'the list' then you've probably got something to worry about, otherwise as long as you stop texting your chums about your plans to take over the world I think you'll be ok.
    Like the people who tweeted before heading to the US?

When a tongue-in-cheek comment on social networking sites ends up as a cavity search, just because the snoopers don't understand what a false-positive is.....then the law is way too heavy handed.

Requiring a warrant is one thing, ensuring the warrant is just and that no privacy has been breached for innocent parties......is nigh on impossible I would have thought.

You already hear stories of peoples front doors being rammed in because police got something wrong.....now extrapolate that into the wealth of information they can scan from the internet......I can see some angry people having all their equipment confiscated for no good reason.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Like the people who tweeted before heading to the US?

When a tongue-in-cheek comment on social networking sites ends up as a cavity search, just because the snoopers don't understand what a false-positive is.....then the law is way too heavy handed.
    The keyword being tweeted, on the publicly viewable website Twitter. Not in an email to a mate, or a text to a girlfriend. They were also heading to....the US, the land of the overly sensitive. I'd like to think we're a few steps away from that.

Requiring a warrant is one thing, ensuring the warrant is just and that no privacy has been breached for innocent parties......is nigh on impossible I would have thought.

You already hear stories of peoples front doors being rammed in because police got something wrong.....now extrapolate that into the wealth of information they can scan from the internet......I can see some angry people having all their equipment confiscated for no good reason.
    Agreed, but as before, if you've nothing to hide.... Common sense plays a massive part in all of this.

I'm not saying I agree with it at all by the way, I'm 100% against, I just feel everyone is getting all Daily Mail before anything has been set in stone.

Media would have us believe we're already tracked in everything we do anyway - payments in stores, CCTV, loyalty cards tracking our purchases, phones, satnav, etc etc etc, this is the final bolt in the time machine that takes us to the infamous 1984.

What can you do?
    Last edited by mycarsavw; 03-04-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: fixing quotes
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post

God forbid you should light up in a public space. This sort of anarchy gives the local council all the authority they need to come down on such anti-social behaviour. If you think this is only in Scotland...think again.
    Quite. Like local councils thinking that extensive use of public funds to pay private investigators to run video surveillance on those suspected of .... wait for it ..... living outside the catchment area for the school they'd applied to get their kids into.

Or giving police powers over photographers doing terrorist surveillance and them taking that as an excuse to harass anyone daft enough to point a camera vaguely in the direction of anything some beat cop things might possibly be a terrorist target .... including a BBC staff photographer trying to take a photo of a sunset. I mean, who'd bomb a sunset?

Thanks

Media would have us believe we're already tracked in everything we do anyway - payments in stores, CCTV, loyalty cards tracking our purchases, phones, satnav, etc etc etc, this is the final bolt in the time machine that takes us to the infamous 1984.
    I can of course choose to avoid all of these things... always pay in cash, don't have a phone, etc etc. Most of us would never do it, because it's hugely inconvenient. But it's possible to avoid if you want. We'll have to wait and see, but I'd expect to see a clause in the new plans that'll make it illegal to try to circumvent this kind of "who is communicating with whom?" legislation. At which point you don't even have a choice.

And it's all because we've been led to believe that there are millions of terrorists and paedophiles out there.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

5. Received thanks from:

Platinum (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Quite. Like local councils thinking that extensive use of public funds to pay private investigators to run video surveillance on those suspected of .... wait for it ..... living outside the catchment area for the school they'd applied to get their kids into.

Or giving police powers over photographers doing terrorist surveillance and them taking that as an excuse to harass anyone daft enough to point a camera vaguely in the direction of anything some beat cop things might possibly be a terrorist target .... including a BBC staff photographer trying to take a photo of a sunset. I mean, who'd bomb a sunset?
    Popular People's Solar Front ?

The road to hell etc etc.
    And we're speeding along merrily.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I can of course choose to avoid all of these things... always pay in cash, don't have a phone, etc etc. Most of us would never do it, because it's hugely inconvenient. But it's possible to avoid if you want. We'll have to wait and see, but I'd expect to see a clause in the new plans that'll make it illegal to try to circumvent this kind of "who is communicating with whom?" legislation. At which point you don't even have a choice.

And it's all because we've been led to believe that there are millions of terrorists and paedophiles out there.
    You can also choose to avoid email and internet too, but then none of the issues on this here wondrous site would ever get fixed

When I were a lad there weren't any paedophiles and I could play in the stre...blah blah.

We're all doomed whatever happens because the world ends this year and hot tea gives you cancer.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

and hot tea gives you cancer.
    NoooooOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooooooo !!
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I can of course choose to avoid all of these things... always pay in cash, don't have a phone, etc etc. Most of us would never do it, because it's hugely inconvenient. But it's possible to avoid if you want. ....
    I already do a fair bit of that. For instance, I rarely use cards to pay in store. Cash works fine, the exception being where I want consumer credit act protection for high-value items, when I might use a card. I do not and will not use store loyalty cards, because as far as I'm concerned, they're marketing snoopers charter. My SatNav is a stand alone unit not a smartphone app, and while I have a mobile phone, as I've said before it's not so much a smartphone as the village idiot of phones. It can just about remember a few numbers in an address book (which doesn't include addresses by the way) and I have NO interest in carrying a phone that has a GPS capability, or in a smartphone that has aspects that can be remote-activated. Nor will I use "cloud" services either for my applications or for storing personal data. Not now, not ever. And I've been using email encryption for personal stuff for many years.

Paranoid? No, just careful.

Thanks

Just for anyone who didn't bother reading the link posted - here's the pertinent excerpt - The blogger Cranmer shares the words of Mr. Cameron and Mr. Clegg themselves, he writes,

"In his 2010 ‘Invitation to Join the Government of Great Britain’, David Cameron pledged unequivocally ‘to restore our civil liberties’. Under that precise heading, he said: ‘We will scale back Labour’s database state and protect the privacy of the public’s information.’ He wrote:
    Labour have subjected Britain’s historic freedoms to unprecedented attack. They have trampled on liberties and, in their place, compiled huge databases to track the activities of millions of perfectly innocent people, giving public bodies extraordinary powers to intervene in the way we live our lives. The impact of this has been profound and far-reaching. Trust has been replaced by suspicion. The database state is a poor substitute for the human judgement essential to the delivery of public services. Worse than that, it gives people false comfort that an infallible central state is looking after their best interests. But the many scandals of lost data, leaked documents and database failures have put millions at risk. It is time for a new approach to protecting our liberty...

We will take further steps to protect people from unwarranted intrusion by the state, including:

• cutting back intrusive powers of entry into homes, which have been massively extended under Labour;

• curtailing the surveillance powers that allow some councils to use anti-terrorism laws to spy on people making trivial mistakes or minor breaches of the rules;

• requiring Privacy Impact Assessments of any proposal that involves data collection or sharing; and,

• ensuring proper Parliamentary scrutiny of any new powers of data-sharing.
    In his 2010 Liberal Democrat manifesto, Nick Clegg talked similarly of ‘restoring your freedoms’:
    Liberal Democrats believe it is an individual’s right to live their lives as they see fit, without discrimination, with personal privacy, and with equal rights before the law.

Decades of Labour and Conservative rule have overthrown some of the basic principles of British justice and turned Britain into a surveillance state.

Liberal Democrats will protect and restore your freedoms. We will:

...End plans to store your email and internet records without good cause
    And in the synthesised chimera that is the joint Coalition Agreement, we read:
    3. CIVIL LIBERTIES
    We will be strong in defence of freedom. The Government believes that the British state has become too authoritarian, and that over the past decade it has abused and eroded fundamental human freedoms and historic civil liberties. We need to restore the rights of individuals in the face of encroaching state power, in keeping with Britain’s tradition of freedom and fairness. We will implement a full programme of measures to reverse the substantial erosion of civil liberties and roll back state intrusion...

• We will end the storage of internet and email records without good reason.""
    Last edited by Galant; 03-04-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

12. Received thanks from:

Phage (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Got a link for that ? I can feel an angry MP letter-a-thon coming.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

I've had it then !
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

15. Received thanks from:

mycarsavw (03-04-2012)

Thanks

PC forum
    Car forum
    Pr0n
    ^rinse repeat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    Got a link for that ? I can feel an angry MP letter-a-thon coming.
    Quote was taken from here - links within his original post -
    http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.c...ons-trust.html
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

You should see America's version of this.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...as7X4k6pHGNDRw

The heavily fortified $2 billion (£1.25 billion) centre should be operational in September 2013. Stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including private emails, mobile phone calls and Google searches, as well as personal data trails -- travel itineraries, purchases and other digital "pocket litter
    designed to hold...

to handle yottabytes (1024 bytes) of data. (A yottabyte is a septillion bytes -- so large that no one has yet coined a term for the next higher magnitude.

Thanks
    • roachcoach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 4x 1 TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEd. 765MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 950W CMPSU-950TXUK
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u

Quote Originally Posted by Andehh View Post
    You should see America's version of this.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...as7X4k6pHGNDRw

designed to hold...

I think they grossly underestimate the amount of pron surfing going on

It'll blow its datacenter in about a fortnight

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information