Thread: Discrimination Online ??

Banned
    Thanks

Discrimination Online ??

Given how folk seem to be getting arrested for online comments about race , it got me wondering what other sort of possibilities could happen on other forums.

I mean if you experienced discrimination on a forum online is there anywhere you can report them , have them even shutdown , and if not whats the difference in being or saying certain things on one forum like twitter compared to another ?

For example what would happen if a disabled person was banned or treated unfairly on a forum by moderators who clearly were using that persons disability i.e. time taken to reply a question, or show evidence of effort ( for things they couldnt do ) against them ?

This sort of thing usually doesnt bother me , but recently it has ( partly because that guy who has my kneewalker and someone else ) both screwed royally in misleading me into thinking theyd help when they didnt and now the rest of the folk ( because their rather cliquish ) seem to have taken exception to it , to the point they refuse to even answer my questions regarding their board rules and policies.

their answer was to get on my bike ( which of course they know i cant do )

Suffice to say I am more than a little angry about this , which is rare for me , as I usually get on with most folk and even the odd thorny ones..

m

blueball

Re: Discrimination Online ??

Sometimes its best walking away but...

Standard IANAL Disclaimer here

...if you feel it is bad enough a lawyer or the police might be worth a visit.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it; an apology or financial punishment.

3. Received thanks from:

melon (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    For example what would happen if a disabled person was banned or treated unfairly on a forum by moderators who clearly were using that persons disability i.e. time taken to reply a question, or show evidence of effort ( for things they couldnt do ) against them ?
    I can't really see how someone can take advantage of someone's disability via an online forum.

This sort of thing usually doesn't bother me , but recently it has ( partly because that guy who has my kneewalker and someone else ) both screwed royally in misleading me into thinking they'd help when they didn't and now the rest of the folk ( because their rather cliquish ) seem to have taken exception to it , to the point they refuse to even answer my questions regarding their board rules and policies.
    These sort of things happen in real life too. Maybe they had good intentions of helping but, Just can't spare enough time etc.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    Sometimes its best walking away but...

Standard IANAL Disclaimer here

...if you feel it is bad enough a lawyer or the police might be worth a visit.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it; an apology or financial punishment.
    yes- thats just it , its frustrating situation where I have come off as the bad guy due to the 1st guy leaving ( even though he admitted it was nothing to do me ), and then 2nd guy ( who no one cared about ) doing the same and making me look guilty or offending party. ( first time its ever happened once nevermind x2 in my life )

I wouldnt mind so much if what I wanted was just knowledge or help with a bike ,as I could resub, but my requirements are so specific ,that they would know it was me and just snub me as they've been doing since this happened last year . ( yes a whole year ago ) and their patron saint of EV left.

Its hard to believe a whole forum would be so petty , but then again cliques and siding with friends ( even when it comes down to bad ethics ) is nothing new , and this is not the first time they've all worked together to oppose someone ( a member paid Thousands just to buy it back after it was sold last year ) while the rest hacked into it to steal the content / knowledge they felt was their own ( even though it was not their forum to start with )

Just never seen anything like it , its worse than a damm cult.

See what happened for yourself when I tried to reason with them / discuss it , to say they protect their own interest is an understatement .

nb**
    Notice they only decide to lock the thread after I made my point regarding the comment on editing and disability , no one of course locked it when TylerDude was grilling me or throwing accusations and claims. ( while avoiding my own questions too )

UGH-
    I guess with so much at stake with this project and that being the only forum really for it i just feel screwed worse than a whitehouse intern given there is nowhere else to really go.

m
    Last edited by melon; 04-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

If someone was discriminated against on a forum like this, I'm 100% sure the mods and admins would step in and sort things out.

Discrimination has no place, anywhere. Ever.

7. Received thanks from:

Bambooz (04-04-2012),melon (04-04-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I can't really see how someone can take advantage of someone's disability via an online forum.

These sort of things happen in real life too. Maybe they had good intentions of helping but, Just can't spare enough time etc.
    Ah, but thats it, they never said anything or had the decency to even reply or respond after I bought the stuff they suggested / sent it to them ( one of them in the US ) .

Then when i did phone the 2nd guy ( who still has my kneewalker ) over a month ago after waiting 6 months he told me he has been , " in hell " and would do it ASAP but that I had been inconsiderate !!!!
    ( I sent him about 10 emails asking if he was ok and even a damm xmas card lol )
    And guess what ?

After 2 email replies hes back at not responding again.. ( its on days like this i wish i could have full use of my body and 5 mins in a room with this BEEP )

So if they couldnt do it why not just tell me , why mislead me and then lie even more and ignore my mails ?

And the weird thing is this pattern happened twice with both these people...

Are engineers usually major BEEEEPers like this , or am I just lucky ???

m
    Last edited by melon; 04-04-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    If someone was discriminated against on a forum like this, I'm 100% sure the mods and admins would step in and sort things out.

Discrimination has no place, anywhere. Ever.
    True.. i guess im esp sore about this one given the ramifications ..

its frustrating as i cant handle tools myself to build it , hence my posts here on Automotive .

Looks like I will need to ship everything i sent there back , if that guy you saw on the Vid still has it ..

( knee walkers are not cheap to buy )

m

P.S. CAT you are right !!!

BLOOOODY MOOOOOSE
    Last edited by melon; 04-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see why you are angry/disappointed, but the problem with an internet forum is that you really don't know the identity, personality, motives or intentions of the person at the other end of the chat or thread.

From a HeXus point of view, we try to be inclusive and fair in our dealings with everyone, and we expect the same from the membership, and we encourage that.

BUT of course that is just me saying it - you have never met me in real life, so you have to form your own opinion!

It is a sad state of affairs when you have to be suspicious of anyone's motives - my hope is that at least here you feel that there is a caring attitude.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

11. Received thanks from:

melon (04-04-2012),Sputnik (05-04-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I can see why you are angry/disappointed, but the problem with an internet forum is that you really don't know the identity, personality, motives or intentions of the person at the other end of the chat or thread.

From a HeXus point of view, we try to be inclusive and fair in our dealings with everyone, and we expect the same from the membership, and we encourage that.

BUT of course that is just me saying it - you have never met me in real life, so you have to form your own opinion!

It is a sad state of affairs when you have to be suspicious of anyone's motives - my hope is that at least here you feel that there is a caring attitude.
    hey Peter,

Ive enjoyed my time here a lot , I know things started prickly and I havent been involved in the tech side so much ( mainly due to other woes since i got worse last year ) but Ive enjoyed being here,and even been surprised at the direction of some of our talks given this is known as tech forum.

No problems with any one here , and happy to hang around .

Online world and real world is big difference I agree , and certain types and characteristics seem to reflect some places ( like that forum )more than others .

Nice to be somewhere where folk can be passionate but laugh at each other at the same time, ( regardless of our choice of uniforms ) or backgrounds.

peace

m

13. Received thanks from:

peterb (04-04-2012)

Thread Information