Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with fraud :(

Thanks

Help with fraud :(

Okay im going to try to make this as short as i possibly can

Long story short i allowed a lodger living at my mums to order stuff from ebay, all was going fine and he was paying up. Anyway i lost my wallet, yes stupid i know! i lost my bank card and 30 quid...

So i reported this to the bank and so on, got the old card cancelled and and a new one sent out, left it at that! (would like to point out my post does go to my mums house havent gotten round to changing it all had no need atm!)

But this is where it all started. The lodger has gone AWOL and has taken a few things, mainly he had access to my paypal account and ebay account when i lost my wallet it did contain my paypal password didnt say what the password was for but it was in there, he obviously used this as i do believe it was him.

But anyway turns out that he had ordered over £1000 worth of stuff from ebay....using my details i have a separate email account for ebay so dont check it unless ordering stuff.

Still i spoke to my mum and sure enough he had aload of items he had to sign for at her house. Im going to assume he either used his own sig or fordged mine i dont know yet.

Still after going into my paypal and ebay there is sure enough aload of items and unpaid case's now against me. Now when i canceled my card i also cancelled the paypal direct debit. just to be carfull but i didnt go and change passwords DOH! stupid mistake!

So now im at a lost and dont know what to do, there was one item which came yesterday, ive already gotten it ready and will be returning it to the sender but now i dont know what to do with everything else, we dont know where he has gone, he owes my mother £100 rent, and now owes me alot of money...all i have is his name will the police actually be able to help me? he wont answer his phone and everytime we try to ring it its saying this persons phone is switched off...

Also knowing abit about the law im now worried i will get done for fraud even though ive been done over myself.

So any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help with fraud :(

Police. Now.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

3. Received thanks from:

razer121 (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    • BlackDwarf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Samsung 850 EVO, 60Gb Crucial M4 & 2TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 540 Air
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 24" Dell U2314H
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fiber 80Mb/20Mb

^^^ This, definitely.
    Diablo (Main PC): Corsair Air 540; Gigabyte Z77-D3H; i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12000; 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO; EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid; 2x Dell U2414H; Windows 10 x64.
    Imperius (VM Server): 2x Intel 5640, 64Gb RAM, 2x1Tb, 6x Intel NIC, VMware ESX 5.5
    Tyrael (File Server): Synology DS410 w/ 4x HD154UI; 2Gb RAM; DSM 5.2

Thanks

Thanks, i didnt even think of going to the police i mean can they do? i cant get hold of this douche well if i did...he would be paying the damn money back! but anyway i have to say im pretty worried just hope the police can do something, from previous experience police dont like to get involved with paypal issues

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Thanks, i didnt even think of going to the police i mean can they do? i cant get hold of this douche well if i did...he would be paying the damn money back! but anyway i have to say im pretty worried just hope the police can do something, from previous experience police dont like to get involved with paypal issues
    If you can provide evidence it's him who has bought this stuff and ripped you off then they surely can do something?

Providing the name you have been given is real, they should be able to trace him
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

It's fraud, theft, it's just plain against the law, Police enforce the law so I am sure there is certainly something they can do and they will be able to give better advice then us.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

I think you might be SOL with Paypal though, T&Cs relating to allowing others access to your account and the safekeeping of your password could be an issue, go straight to the bank about it

It the paypal Direct Debit (and I say that as cancelling a card does not cancel a direct debit) was cancelled against the associated account it's a breach of the direct debit guarantee and the request should not have been honoured and you can claim a full refund
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

9. Received thanks from:

razer121 (05-04-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    I think you might be SOL with Paypal though, T&Cs relating to allowing others access to your account and the safekeeping of your password could be an issue, go straight to the bank about it

It the paypal Direct Debit (and I say that as cancelling a card does not cancel a direct debit) was cancelled against the associated account it's a breach of the direct debit guarantee and the request should not have been honoured and you can claim a full refund
    Glad you brought that up, luckily for me no money has been taken from my bank, however paypal has tried to take this money but naturally cannot as when the card was canceled the direct debit was aswell (recommended by HSBC) The main problem ive got is he was still able to order stuff using my paypal, "sent" payments went to the sellers, they got their payment but paypal has put a stop to it a little to late... this isnt just affecting me, it also has affected the people he has bought stuff from which is a rather large amount, luckily some items ive managed to sign for and sent them back, but for the ones he had...well im at a loss atm.

So this is why im wondering if the police can actually help me as no money has been taken from me (well except the 30 from my wallet which i still believe was him) so its more so ive got to try and solve issues with paypal and ebay.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

Change house locks as well...

Has he left anything to possibly track him down? Mail, bills... etc. Did you.conduct any form of back ground check.on him? How did you find the lodger?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andehh View Post
    Change house locks as well...

Has he left anything to possibly track him down? Mail, bills... etc
    Nope, the key was left and none of his stuff has been left, he has only been with my mum a few weeks, total scumbag...no post came to the house for him as he was supposed to get a job and pay his keep. He kept making excuse's but did manage to get money together...i believe it was down to drugs mind as he always looked abit stoned, you cannot imagine how ticked off i am at the moment

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

While I agree you should contact the Police, I doubt they will do much based on my own experience of having my card cloned.

The first thing to do is sort out your paypal account by changing the password and letting paypal know these were unauthorised uses. (which I'm assuming you have already done).

Then deal with the people who the stuff was bought from.

My guess is, The Police will probably just issue you a crime number like they did with me. They didn't even have the slightest bit of interest in the delivery address that the goods were being sent to and yet the scum must have been going to the address to collect the items even if they did not live there.

I hope for your sake the stuff you can't locate isn't too expensive.

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Nope, the key was left
    That doesn't mean he has not got a key cut, and then left the original key.

Thanks

Okay im going to try to make this as short as i possibly can

Long story short i allowed a lodger living at my mums to order stuff from ebay, all was going fine and he was paying up. Anyway i lost my wallet, yes stupid i know! i lost my bank card and 30 quid...

So i reported this to the bank and so on, got the old card cancelled and and a new one sent out, left it at that! (would like to point out my post does go to my mums house havent gotten round to changing it all had no need atm!)

But this is where it all started. The lodger has gone AWOL and has taken a few things, mainly he had access to my paypal account and ebay account when i lost my wallet it did contain my paypal password didnt say what the password was for but it was in there, he obviously used this as i do believe it was him.

But anyway turns out that he had ordered over £1000 worth of stuff from ebay....using my details i have a separate email account for ebay so dont check it unless ordering stuff.

Still i spoke to my mum and sure enough he had aload of items he had to sign for at her house. Im going to assume he either used his own sig or fordged mine i dont know yet.

Still after going into my paypal and ebay there is sure enough aload of items and unpaid case's now against me. Now when i canceled my card i also cancelled the paypal direct debit. just to be carfull but i didnt go and change passwords DOH! stupid mistake!

So now im at a lost and dont know what to do, there was one item which came yesterday, ive already gotten it ready and will be returning it to the sender but now i dont know what to do with everything else, we dont know where he has gone, he owes my mother £100 rent, and now owes me alot of money...all i have is his name will the police actually be able to help me? he wont answer his phone and everytime we try to ring it its saying this persons phone is switched off...

Also knowing abit about the law im now worried i will get done for fraud even though ive been done over myself.

So any advice is greatly appreciated!
    email every that has sent you stuff and tell them what happened, copy past etc... next contact paypal and say your paypal account has been hijacked, close bank account open new one. Go to police and tell them what happened.

Go on to your ebay account and ask for tracking numbers to get signatures information, go to the Postoffice and tell them what happened, that way you'll get royal mail to investigate fraud, you may also be able to claim compensation from royal mail and/or buyers as proof that the items haven't been delivered to you.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    That doesn't mean he has not got a key cut, and then left the original key.
    This ^. I hate to say it but if I felt so inclined, i'd have got the key cut and come back in a few weeks when the dust has settled...especially if he knows you have decent kit

At.least.check your insurance policy, does it cover you if you can't prove forced entry? If keys are lost they might even cover changing some locks, maybe?

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

The crime number will also make any insurance claims a lot easier.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

Thanks guys in the process of dealing with it, there is alot of messages on ebay...and he has replied to them! ive been screwed so ive alot to do...first of is down to the old bill station, lucky for me my neighbour is the postman so he can look into it for me and find the sig that was used,

To add he spent alot the items he bought ranged from £5 - £300...not good! ive at least got some of the items sent back which is good i suppose but the expensive items he has got away with...other problem ive got is people on ebay are very unlikely to believe me...how and what is the best way to approach this with them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information