Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Razor

Thanks

Safety Razor

After years of using those multi-blades that are priced over the top, I have started using a safety razor with shaving cream. And the difference is night and day!! For years I could never get a good shave, either cutting myself or red rash. It was only when I bought a safety razor for £25 that i noticed how close the shave was, and less missed spots. Only thing that I now need to do is get skin peeling treatment, to get rid of some the in-grown hairs caused by the multi-blade.

So how many of you use a safety razor? And more importantly what is the bets make to get? I have my eye on this, but need some advice on it or if a should consider another make.

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb

Re: Safety Razor

I've been mildly interested in getting a safety razor for a while... but they look like it's ridiculously easy to slice your face off, Silence of the Lambs style... is that not really the case?

Thanks

Not sure if this place might be of use: http://straightrazorplace.com/shaving-safety-razors/

I used to use a safety razor. They are much sharper so extra care is needed. My summary is - if you tend to be in a rush in the morning, stick with the over-priced modern razors. If you have more time and are more disciplined go for it. Cheaper and better results.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb

A whole forum about shaving... now I have seen everything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by streetster View Post
    I've been mildly interested in getting a safety razor for a while... but they look like it's ridiculously easy to slice your face off, Silence of the Lambs style... is that not really the case?
    You do have to be careful when using them, and instead of pulling let the weight and gravity do it. Also its important to keep the face wet, and apply plenty of shaving soap with the brush. There is no way I will go back to the multi-blade! I bought the starter pack on Amazon for £25 which had some blades in it, the razor, brush, shaving cream, and some pre-shave stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Not sure if this place might be of use: http://straightrazorplace.com/shaving-safety-razors/

I used to use a safety razor. They are much sharper so extra care is needed. My summary is - if you tend to be in a rush in the morning, stick with the over-priced modern razors. If you have more time and are more disciplined go for it. Cheaper and better results.
    Thanks for the link I will take a look! As for needing to take your time that's very true, and I have made extra time in order to avoid cutting myself (still get a few nicks, but nothing major)

Thanks

One very simple tip I've found useful is to try to increase the number of passes used to shave - that is - rather than get a clean shave in one or two heavy pressed passes, make use of the advantage of a brush and real shaving soap (which is cheaper and more easily applied) and intend to go over the shave twice or three times with fresh soap in between. You can go lighter and get a far better shave.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

I shave and re-apply the shaving soap around 4 times ( sometimes 5 if I have missed a bit), I also wash my face in-between each shave.

Thanks

double post...

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I`ve been using a double edged razor for nearly a year now and its one of the best investments I`ve ever made

I get a much smoother shave with less irritation than I got with a 5 blade jobby.

I got this http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/...-Shaving-Cream

with the razor as the mekur 34c. Its quite a small handle which can take a bit of getting used to but I love it now

I usually shave after a shower.

Heat up my shaving bowl whilst also soaking a flanned in hot water. Then I mix up some cream in the bowl with the brush and get a nice thick lather.

Then Hot flannel on face for about 30 seconds lather up and shave down taking one stroke each section.

repeat hot flanned and lather then shave up and finally flannel lather and shave accross on my neck to get the troublesome hears.

Then flannel in cold water applied to face and then a rub over with an alum block

Its quite a time intensive process but it gives a much better finish and imo it makes shaving fun

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb

... you guys have too much time

I shave twice a week (mon/thur or tue/fri depending how lazy I'm feeling / how late I've been out on the Sunday). Once over with my Gilette SuperAwesomeInfinityBlade™ razor (2 shaves/week, new blades/month = 8 shaves/blade) and I'm good to head out the door. Any more frequent and it causes too much irritation for my neck, and less and I'm a bit too hairy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kopite View Post
    I`ve been using a double edged razor for nearly a year now and its one of the best investments I`ve ever made

I get a much smoother shave with less irritation than I got with a 5 blade jobby.

I got this http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/...-Shaving-Cream

with the razor as the mekur 34c. Its quite a small handle which can take a bit of getting used to but I love it now

I usually shave after a shower.

Heat up my shaving bowl whilst also soaking a flanned in hot water. Then I mix up some cream in the bowl with the brush and get a nice thick lather.

Then Hot flannel on face for about 30 seconds lather up and shave down taking one stroke each section.

repeat hot flanned and lather then shave up and finally flannel lather and shave accross on my neck to get the troublesome hears.

Then flannel in cold water applied to face and then a rub over with an alum block

Its quite a time intensive process but it gives a much better finish and imo it makes shaving fun

I'm going to be buying a shaving bowel and a new brush, but will look into a alum block. Do you add anything to the shaving cream?

Quote Originally Posted by streetster View Post
    ... you guys have too much time

I shave twice a week (mon/thur or tue/fri depending how lazy I'm feeling / how late I've been out on the Sunday). Once over with my Gilette SuperAwesomeInfinityBlade™ razor (2 shaves/week, new blades/month = 8 shaves/blade) and I'm good to head out the door. Any more frequent and it causes too much irritation for my neck, and less and I'm a bit too hairy
    I just make a bit of extra time Wish I could shave every other day which woudl be nice, but sadly it has to be once a day twice I can do it.

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I dont add anything to the cream other than a couple of drops of water if its looking a bit dry.

I do sometimes use eShave 2 oz Verbena Lime Pre-Shaving Oil just before applying the Lather. This is usually if I havent shaved for a few days and I have a bit of a thick growth

I was using the indian limes one from truefit and hill but just finished. I now have a tub of Castle Forbes Lime Shaving Cream.

When I was doing research into using DE razors someone pointed out that the single blade apprach is a lot better for you as with multi blades it tends to pull and hack at the hairs where as a single blade just slices through and once you get used to it you`ll get a far closer shave with a lot less irriation. Maybe this is BS but I have found I get a lot less nicks and shaving rashes and Am a lot smoother

Alum block is a great investment though. If you do nick yourself then a quick rub with it and the cut goes

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

I once had a proper straight razor shave at a Barbers in Oxford, I've never sat so still in all my life! But boy was it the best shave I ever had

Isn't salad what food eats??

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I find a multiblabe razor with either gel or oil (gives a closer shave) a good compromise between speed and closenessd of shave. Certainly faster and better than any electric I have used. I really cba to faff about with brushes, soap, double edged safety razors and styptic pencils!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I'm quite happy with a Braun electric shaver myself, I have relatively fair hair though so blades/foils last ages and despite the initial cost, it's a lot cheaper than using razors. Same as streetster, I can get away with shaving a couple of times per week, and under my chin is the worst place for irritation. Also I still get the occasional pimple which I'd rather not slice off with a razor...

Edit: Oh and I think this was posted by another forum member a while back, unfortunately it's not available here (UK): http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Been using one for a while now, use a Merkur 38C with Astra Platinum blades (tried the Derby ones but didnt get on with them), no complaints unless I have a lot of stubble from not shaving for a few days
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information