Thread: Jury Service

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks

Jury Service

Meh. Well, a couple of months ago I was called up for jury service, and it starts next Tuesday. Everyone I speak to seems to think I'm really lucky and it will be really interesting. While I don't mind having two weeks paid off work, I can't say I share their enthusiasm.

Anyone else here participated in this 'important civic duty'? What did you think? Am I the only person who doesn't see it as the equivalent of an interactive movie?

Thanks
    Just take a good book, my mate got called up and sat in the waiting room for a week, wasn't called to a single jury because he looked young and spotty, in the end they let him go a week early. And from what I've heard if you do sit on a case there's a 90% chance you'll just be bored to tears.
    They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    unless its some exciting high profile axe-murdering case...
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Personally, I think that jury service is one of the more important civic duties; in large part our entire justice system depends on it, so although you may not end up sitting, and although it's likely to be boring, I think it's a good thing to do. I'd hate to think we'd end up like certain jurisdictions where serving on a jury is regarded as evidence that you were too stupid to get out of it. I'd rather a jury were manned (personned? ) by some of the brighter Hexites than some of the people who seem to get selected. It's not likely to be entertaining, but you'll get paid and you'll get to see exactly how the criminal justice system works - it's a good opportunity if you ask me. Which you probably won't .

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    No I agree with you; I think it is an important duty, hence my reserved attitude. I think all the people I know who think it's going to be 'fun' are missing the point; ultimately myself and eleven other people are going to have to make a life-altering decision for someone.

I'm also concerned about some of the people who get selected; I mean what if I'm serving with other people who I know are missing the point? For example, my friend's partner recently completed a trial where someone had been accused of molesting children. The first mention of the word 'paedophile' and they'd all decided this bloke should be hung, without even hearing any evidence! I understand it's an emotive subject, but that's just crazy.

I know people will be directed on these matters, but even so... I respect everyone's right to an opinion, I just hope they form that opinion on an objective basis.

Title Contender
    Thanks
    Ive been called and was turned down by the defendants solicitor, I was then selected to go on another jury a day later and I knew the guy who was up for GBH and theft. So I had to tell them I knew who he was and I think his people did the same. So spent a few more days in the waiting room until I was called in as a late substitute for an armed robbery trial due to the original person falling sick.

TBH it was quite interesting and I got sworn in by some American dude (yes in a UK court) who read out the bible thing so fast I didnt have a clue what he was on about.

We then just sat around in another room and came to a decision. The group I had entered had already made a foreman and we were all advised of the verdict procedure and that a overall majority had to be made.

The verdict went against the defendant and rightly so after to hearing what went on.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    I agree that it's a REALLY good idea, but it horrifies me to think that certain members of society may one day be required to serve on a Jury.

Thanks
    I'd love to do jury service- mainly because I would love the chance to really wind up a bunch of stupid people in the name of 'considering a verdict'. I'd probably end up on a jury full of people who all think like me on an open and shut case though.

Rich :¬)

Thread Information