Thread: terminatin​g BT phone/broa​dband wire outside of house

Thanks

terminatin​g BT phone/broa​dband wire outside of house

The white BT line inside my property has been severed thanks to a clumbsy carpenter. It provided phone line and BT infinity broadband. I am now left with having to replace the wire that appears out of a tube in my grass, up the wall and into the house all the way to the BT box on the wall in living room.

Outside the house the wire terminates in a small grey BT box on the house wall and then runs from there in to the house. I have taken the cover off this box outside to find that the only wires in use are BLUE. My problem appears to be that inside this box the blue wires are sealed/connected inside some form of transparent gel type/moulded connector and I dont know what this is or what it does, or whether it can be replaced easily. The wires do not simply attach to something that can be unscrewed or clipped in to.

Does anyone know what it is or whether it is just to keep the wires dry or does it do something else to the signal etc?!?

I have no problem connecting my new wire inside the BT box INSIDE the house, running it nearly out of the house through the brickwork - just a problem connecting it outside.

Hope this is a simple case of snipping existing wires and purchasing something (Maplin maybe?) that will allow me to reconnect the new BLUE wires inside and ensuring they are waterproof and connected adequitely.

Hope I have given enough information...

Finally, I have logged a call with BT engineers to visit and fix but I am curious still...

Many thanks

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: terminatin​g BT phone/broa​dband wire outside of house

IIRC you are NOT allowed to modify anything before the master socket in your house.

If your doing that, you might end up in trouble.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

It is illegal to tamper with BT equipment, so I wouldn't replace anything if I were you.
    As capable as someone may be, I think its only there to prevent people stealing neighbours phone lines.

Sadly you will have to suck it up and wait for an engineer to do it, only to later send you an exorbitant fee for doing it.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Surely the cost should be forwarded to the carpenter, he'd surely be insured for the business?

Thanks

Ok guys, appreciate your help.. engineer is booked already.. im just curious what happpens at the connection point.. whether it is merely a straight forward conenction of the 2 wires or whether anything else is happening to the connection..

Larkspeed

I used to work as an installer for NTL doing both cable TV and phone

The connector you speak of is a gel crimp it is simply used to connect two wires together.

You stick the two wires you want to join in the holes and squeeze it with a pair of pliers, nothing fancy.

It just has a little piece of metal inside it with two slices in it, when you squeeze it the metal cuts through the shielding and clamps against the wire to make the connection.

The gel is only there to keep moisture out of the line.

As far as the little box on the outside, at NTL we called it an omni box BT may have a different name for it.

It is solely there to provide a means to connect the interior wiring to the exterior wiring, that way if the house has to be rewired they can do so without running new exterior wires, or if the exterior wires get damaged they can replace them without rewiring the whole house.

The connections are in fact straight through and there is no change to the signal before the master.

As has already been stated you are not allowed to touch any cabling before the master socket.

Thanks

ok great, just as I thought.. many thanks to all who took time to reply!
    Have a good Xmas!!
    Thanks
    Nathan

Thread Information