Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Commuting

Thanks

Re: Commuting

Well, I apologise if it is meant to be taken as a joke, but I agree with the sentiment that other people acting in an unpleasant manner is no reason to drop our own level. Because if everyone follows suit, it would be a race to the bottom, and that can get very ugly in a big city. There are many perks to cities, but it comes with the down side of having to deal with crowds (made worse by our dated infrastructure), but that makes it all the more important to follow common courtesy, as opposed to treating everyone else as obstacles. Trying to be efficient with our commute is a good thing. But as is working together, as opposed to against one another.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

True. But that does also mean giving people the opportunity to move. The guy who said "excuse me please" as he simultaneously shoved me into another passenger last night was merely trying to sound polite while being anything but.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

The problem with commuting is some people have an ability to rub you up the wrong way.

I was on an 8am tube from Heathrow, some kind women decided that her trolley bag was too important to be put in the baggage area, so bashed it into everyones knees, then plonked it on my foot.

Unbeknownst to her, I was coming back from hiking in the Alps, so my feet were rather tender inside smartish work shoes, so holding my composure as best as I could, I asked if she would be so kind as to not put her bag on my foot.

I got the most outraged stare from the charming individual. At least based on the work she is doing she is just a basic paralegal at her age for a 2nd rate firm, so I guess karma/life is punishing her enough.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Hexites, remember the King of the Train type of commuters I mentioned a few days ago ? .. well... had one next to me this morning and I was literally sitting askew. Told him to move his leg and he obliged without uttering a word. As he was getting off, he deliberately rammed me with his thigh before running off.
    Funny this happened to me on the train home last night. What a

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    it's fine. Our transport is rubbish, we all know it. They're now trying to slash funding to the NHS just like they did with trains in the 80s. Write to your MPs folks before they ruin that too.
    These days, transport money gets spent on executives and lazy engineers on the gravy train.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Will I be incorrect if I say that the primary aim of the Rail franchises is to make money and when things go belly-up, they hand the keys back to the Govt. and walk away without any penalization.
    Well that's the private sector for you, Oilsheikh.

My local cemetery was one of the 7 magnificent cemeteries built during the Victorian age and under ownership by the private sector. When the business became unprofitable they simply locked the gate and walked away in 1969. The local council then took ownership for just £1 in 1975.

Hopefully, commuting will improve once TfL has taken control of all rail suburban service.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6824761.html

Thread Information