Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Giving Up Smoking Support Thread :)

Rob
    Thanks
    Can I offer my support to you guys giving up... Keep it up.

I tried giving up, and failed So here is why, so you can hopefully avoid it.

The pub! Simple as that. I had given up (with patches - they WORK people), but having a drink with friends was too much. So I had ONE with a pint, and to my joy it didn't affect my resolve the next morning. So I was quite happy, have one at the pub, and not get more cravings the next morning. One or two a week is far more healthy than 40 a day.

I was WRONG! Somewhere that one or two has gone back to about twenty a day. So I guess, you either give up completely or not at all.

Here's hoping you do it. I know I felt SO much better for the five or six weeks I gave up. I guess I still enjoy it too much.

Good luck guys

Thanks
    thanks Rob, i guess that is how we all fail! i started to pick em up one by one and bang! your back on 20 a day. i wish i could take it or leave it but i can't so i can't have any!

Thanks
    I quit drinking for 3 months too so should avoid the smoke in pub, although have been to pub 4 times since I gave up, drinking soft drinks of course.

I suppose it might be a bit of a test when I start drinking again, but hopefully I will have been quit for 3 months and it will be easier.

Thanks
    well i only drink diet coke or water due to the diet, unless i'm having a drink which will be about once or twice a month, that is when i fear i might crumble! nooooooooo every other situation i can see me coming through

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    I don't drink that much alcohol wise at all, thats mostly due to working 16 hours a day 6 days a week.

I hate to say it but the only reason I went back on them was the massive amount of weight I was gaining, I am not a slim guy to begin with, I have shoulders that mean I could gain alot of weight without problems, the mainreason for me starting up again was the weight gain, that and the fact that when I started again it didn't make me wanna throw up or cough lol

m@
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    yeah i'm real worried about the weight gain after spending a lot of time and effort losing almost 8 stone in weight! - so i'm run or cycle every day, i gotta beat it! - 27 miles on the bike yesterday!! i'm gonna do this !!!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Sixkiller
    yeah i'm real worried about the weight gain after spending a lot of time and effort losing almost 8 stone in weight! - so i'm run or cycle every day, i gotta beat it! - 27 miles on the bike yesterday!! i'm gonna do this !!!!!!
    Yes you are mate, you're doing really great it seems! I'm very proud of you, I have had friends who were trying to quite smoking and it doesn't seem so easy! But you are gonna make it!
    *cheers on*
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    played 5 a side for an hour yesterday, and have a 15 mile bike ride planned today, i seem to be over the craving side now, exercise is helping so much! i'm getting some sort of 'high' from it!

Thanks
    Exercise releases natural endorphins Bobby, so you are getting a 'high' from it

On the down side, I didn't stop yesterday Bad weekend with the kids was my excuse, but still not acceptable I am going for Thursday of this week now (I need a couple of days to get my resolve sorted and re-read some Allen Carr).

I'm stopping smoking for me and for my kids as I want to be around to see them grow up. I'm sick of paying to kill myself, if I really did want to kill myself then there are free ways to do it (I don't want to kill myself btw )

Anyway, mega well done Bobby and you Daniel and I shall be back here Thursday

Thanks
    yeah chin up hidden spirit, yeah do it for yourself and the kids,

i was thinking why treat my body like this when i have loved ones who i wanna spend my life with, i know you can die from many other things, but it's been proved that smoking is not good for you so for me it's gotta go!

Thanks
    Yeah for me its all about the health but think about it hidden, the more money you save the better life you can give your kids.

Why not save every penny you save from not smoking for a week, say 20 a day thats £35 (roughly), treat them to something nice and tell them thats because daddy stopped smoking, not only will it be nice for them & you it may put them off smoking when they grow up.

Thanks
    good call dan! i'm gonna start putting the money away, you spend less as when you go in the shop everyday to buy ya smokes, you always come out with other stuff, so not needing any money is a bonus to me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Sixkiller
    yeah chin up hidden spirit, yeah do it for yourself and the kids,

i was thinking why treat my body like this when i have loved ones who i wanna spend my life with, i know you can die from many other things, but it's been proved that smoking is not good for you so for me it's gotta go!
    Yeah exactly! Why die for that kinda reason?
    I was away with my fathers old diving-club, because they celebreated their 50th anniversary Quite cool although those guys are around 50-60 so now it's up to us children to pass the everything on.
    But during the celebration a guy wasn't there, a very good friend of my father, because his wife was suffering from cancer and couldn't make it (she had been suffering from it for a while) they first thought that they could make it, but she became worse a couple of days before that gathering. Although their children were there and it was nice seeing them there.

Then the day after, when we were supposed to go home again, he called one of his kids and said that she had passed away the night before. It was so horrible, everyone got so silent and sad..

And they think that her lung-cancer was related to her, been smoking for so long. And there were this other guy that my father is really close to and he was also there and he was on his 9th day of quiting smoking and was going through a hell..everyone could tell.
    And when he came to hug the son-in-law to the guy that lost his wife he said:
    - "Now you've got another reason for keeping up your good work with the quit-smoking thing!"

I will always remember that..I loved her, and I wish she could be alive to see her 2 grandsons grow up. One of them is 5 years or so and the other one 15 months.

So all you girls/guys that are trying to quit smoking, keep on!
    Not only for your own sake, but for others around..it affects everyone you know if you pass away!

You are so strong! I know you can make it, sure it'll be a living nightmare in the beginning, but the reward is worth it! I can assure you on that!

//Moonshade
    Last edited by Moonshade; 15-09-2004 at 11:59 AM.
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    Thanks moonshade

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_owen_uk
    Thanks moonshade

Oh, no problem. I really love all of you guys here at hexus You've been so nice to me during my time here. And I really wouldn't want any of you get in that position as her (that I told you about before). I want everyone to be able to grow old and then die of old age, everything else is unexeptable!

You hang in there!
    *hugs*
    //Moonshade.
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    yeah good post as ever moonshade, you are well above yours years

i ran for two miles today with out a stop! i know two miles is not that much but for me without a stop is really good, as when i do my three mile run in the morning i always stop after a mile and walk for 5 mins, so well pleased to beat my personnel best

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information