Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Guns in America: we move onward into a new level of special thinking...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Guns in America: we move onward into a new level of special thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by xodianbarr View Post
    - That is exactly the point. It could be indestructable, but it's only as good as the tight lipped keycode owner. That was the distinction i was making 'can you trust people to act 'responsibly'. More to the point, children like to explore, and teenagers like to rebel. Im sure you've heard of social engineering. Not that it's the only way to find out a password. Its all about thinking a way round a problem. It's also what tempts people to hack.
    If, as I said, you have a responsible owner, you are not going to social engineer, or hack, a a gunsafe "password" out of them.

Put it this way, you are not going to hack or engineer my credit card PIN out of me. I tell nobody, but NOBODY, that number, including any and all bank staff, even in a branch. Not even my wife knows my PIN number,s nor do I know hers. And that's just my credit card, let alone my safe, and my safe isn't a gun safe.

My original point was that if a child, or any non-authorised user for that matter, gets hold of a gun in a home, it's because the owner didn't responsibly secure them. And you said they're easy to get round. Only if you have an irresponsible owner.

Let me ask you a question .... do you drive?

Do you thing all cars ought to be banned, because some people drink drive? Or do you think there ought to be rules, and penalties for those that break them?

What about alcohol itself? Maybe we should ban alcohol because some people are irresponsible, drink to excess, and cause problems in town centres at night. Never mind that many, do doubt the vast majority, drink occasionally, often at home, socially or with a meal, let's ban alcohol because some people abuse it, right when we're banning guns because some people abuse them.

It is to all intents and purposes impossible to ban all guns in the USA. The way the laws and checks and balances are set up, short of a dramatic change in the attitude of the population, it simply is not going to happen. There are, for the remotely foreseeable future, going to be guns. And that's just the legal ones. Even if you do ban them, there are going to be illegal ones, and the chances of getting all guns off the streets, and even out of homes, is as close to zero as makes no difference. #

What you can do, and in many states is done, is restrict the types available. We've already mentioned that. You can impose carry restrictions. Many states do. You can limit immediate access, and again, many states do. You can restrict high capacity magazines and full auto, and again, such restrictions exist.

What you cannot do, and almost certainly never will be able to do, is to prevent every single nutcase, mentally ill person, criminal and/or psychopath from getting hold, one way or another, of any type of gun.

A lot has been said about assault-style rifles after the Lanza shooting, but honestly, I have to wonder just how much difference it made in that case, to the outcome. My bet would be, little, or none.

Had the not been carrying that Bushmaster, he still had a 9mm Sig and a 10mm Glock. Assume legal, 15-round magazines for each, and as he had, multiple magazines. One cop on the scene said "several hundred rounds".

So, no rifle, but two fairly powerful pistols, each with 15 round mags (for simplicity' sake), and each where you can change mag in a few seconds. Unless there is someone on the premises that is armed, or unless police can get there very, very quickly, the outcome, given his clear intent, would almost certainly have been exactly the same. The rifle, in that situation, is more about ego, about show, maybe about machismo, than about effectiveness. Now, if we were talking about something like the Beltway sniper, then rifles are far more of a threat. But that isn't the current context.

So, you are not going to take every handgun, or even just the legally held ones, out of every home in the US because the legal difficulties of doing it are extremely hard to surmount, and given the level of opposition, impossible to surmount. "It's our constitutional right" isn't just a redneck mantra, it's a simple, cold, hard FACT, and not only that right, but a fairly broad interpretation of it has been upheld, repeatedly and recently, by the Supreme Court.

So if you can't get the Constitution amended, and as said, that is next to impossible to do. It's a hard thing to do even if almost everyone does agree on something. And was deliberately set up to be extremely hard to do. That's the whole point of a constitution .... it takes basic rights out of the whim of the current administration. And if it was easy to change, what gets change next? The right to a freedom of speech (up to a point, anyway). Or the right to a lawyer? Or a fair trial?

From a pragmatic point, you are not going to get guns banned. In anything other than the fairly long term, and probably not even then, it simply ain't going to happen. It would also be next to impossible to enforce if it did happen. So people with evil intent are going to be able to get guns. You might be able to make it a bit harder, but you aren't going to stop it. And it's pretty clear there is going to be a regular stream of people wanting, under whatever sick of perverted logic, to "shock" by going and doing something more extreme than the last case. Sooner or later, it'll happen again, with or without a ban on assault-style rifles. It'll continue to happen for just as long as you've got a handful of sick and desperate individuals that have made the decision to, basically, suicide, and make a stand, a statement of an extremely unpleasant kind, first.

And if they couldn't get hold of guns, they'd build a bomb, or hijack a school bus, or poison an air-con system, or drive a bus into a queue or schoolkids, or whatever other sick and twisted exhibitionist scheme they manage to come up with. That, I'm afraid, is mankind for you, and will continue to be until we come up with a way to detect and either cure or indefinitely detain those with murderous and/or suicidal inclinations. And on that, I'd advise not holding your breath.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

A typical comment made by someone who can clearly 'not' think of an alternative solution
    With or without smileys like that, I've lost track of how many times I've suspended, and sadly, banned people over an exchange that started over personal jibes, because it has a habit of escalating.

A word of advice, from a board admin to a new member who may not appreciate our rules, or the way we do things .... don't go down that route. It won't end well.

3. Received thanks from:

Jay (16-03-2013)

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

lol. I havent really relied on facts in this discussion. Mainly opinions close to my heart. Im aware of the disproportionate gun crime statistics in the US compared to with the UK (both being first world countries), but its not a subject i know in depth (statistically). Socialogically and Philosophically however, i am more at home.
    The UK is a great example actually. Belfast is the second safest city in the world after Tokyo ( link ). Thanks in large part to groups of armed paramilitaries keeping their communities in line.

Jay
    Thanks

A typical comment made by someone who can clearly 'not' think of an alternative solution
    When one of these comes at you

You'll understand.
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    The UK is a great example actually. Belfast is the second safest city in the world after Tokyo ( link ). Thanks in large part to groups of armed paramilitaries keeping their communities in line.
    Except they were illegally holding a manner of weapons from rocket launchers to C4 explosives. That is why over a 1000 British and policemen solders died during The Troubles,nearly 2000 civilians dead and over 45000 people were injured.

The world is not a computer game. Perhaps you want to fantasise about Mexican druglords and their paramilitaries or FARC while you are at it??

Many of those organisations don't answer to anyone apart from themselves. Its bad enough trying to get our own elected officials to answer for what they do,let alone armed gangs who elect themselves.

Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

Interesting debate here, just wondering why Canadians need to own guns out there? is it because of rampant Wild Moose rushing towards you?

In terms of the gun debate, you say everyone has right to bear arms/ defend themselves. So you shoot the burglar by the sheer rush of adrenaline/ Fear, the outcome will still be poor. I'm not sure about the U.S but in the U.K someone did just that with a shotgun and got jailed for disproportionate acts of self-defence, article here.
    Trust Profile HEXUS Forum FAQ and Colour coding/Post Count awards

'The Fox is cunning and relentless, and has got his Fibre Optic Broadband'

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post
    is it because of rampant Wild Moose rushing towards you?

Not all Moose are rampant,some are quite friendly TBH and only want to talk about pond weed!

9. Received thanks from:

csgohan4 (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

Not all Moose are rampant,some are quite friendly TBH and only want to talk about pond weed!

Or perhaps to prevent them stealing your car?
    Trust Profile HEXUS Forum FAQ and Colour coding/Post Count awards

'The Fox is cunning and relentless, and has got his Fibre Optic Broadband'

11. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (16-03-2013),TheAnimus (17-03-2013)

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Except they were illegally holding a manner of weapons from rocket launchers to C4 explosives. That is why over a 1000 British and policemen solders died during The Troubles,nearly 2000 civilians dead and over 45000 people were injured.

The world is not a computer game. Perhaps you want to fantasise about Mexican druglords and their paramilitaries or FARC while you are at it??

Many of those organisations don't answer to anyone apart from themselves. Its bad enough trying to get our own elected officials to answer for what they do,let alone armed gangs who elect themselves.

Take it easy on the rude tone of your posts please.

I grew up in N. Ireland and moved to mainland Britain as an adult. Never experienced any 'street' violence in NI, within a year of moving to mainland UK had been assaulted by large gang of yobbos. Overall I actually agree widespread gun ownership isn't a good idea - I just don't like the simplistic and often smug attitude that they don't fix some problems too.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Take it easy on the rude tone of your posts please.

I grew up in N. Ireland and moved to mainland Britain as an adult. Never experienced any 'street' violence in NI, within a year of moving to mainland UK had been assaulted by large gang of yobbos. Overall I actually agree widespread gun ownership isn't a good idea - I just don't like the simplistic and often smug attitude that they don't fix some problems too.
    I lived in a country with an insurgency,and moreover I also have known people from NI who had experienced problems there too.

I was perfectly fine too,but I saw the effects of it ,and the people that it hurt. There were bombings in the cities FFS that killed loads of people. I knew no one who thought the situation was fine,irrespective of whether it affected them or not.

Even a dictatorship will have plenty of soldiers,secret police,etc with no elected government. Very safe. As long as you are not hurt,who gives a monkeys about those who are,right???

That is why you mentioned the illegal paramilitaries? Unelected groups who have killed and maimed so many people ,via rule of the gun, are OK for you.

Perhaps you should go up to the families of those murdered by the paramilitaries in NI,and say "hey,you must feel really safe,now??"

Its another case,"it does not affect me so I don't care what happens to the others" syndrome.

You might want to support the existence of illegal military organisations,but not me.

Its bad enough with the elected lot in many countries.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Another brief warning here guys, be nice to each.
    Cheers, David

xodianbarr

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

You'll understand.
    Still not thinking about other ways of dealing with a situation then?

Jay
    Thanks

Maybe a stick and a loud shout? Maybe you can tell me what you think will stop one?
    □ΞVΞ□

xodianbarr

Lots of things. Want a list?

If you're in a forest and one surprises you, even a gun wont be much good.

Jay
    Thanks

Yes a list of viable ways to stop one please.

A large caliber round to the head will kill one.
    □ΞVΞ□

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

You'll understand.
    Looks like it wants to play fetch. A half chewed tennis ball will sort that out, right?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information