Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting the Patek Philippe Salon in Genevè

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)

Visiting the Patek Philippe Salon in Genevè

Hi all,

Couple weeks back I travelled to Geneva for a short holiday that commenced with my visit to the Patek Philippe Salon on Rue du Rhone, which has been there since 1892.

I have visited the Salon many times in the past, when I was a student in the UK. This visit was a bit more special as they had a watch reserved for me.

This is the Calatrava 5127R with a diameter of 37 mm featuring the exquisitely finished cal. 324 S C movement

I had them exchange the standard buckle for a matching 18k Calatrava Depolyant clasp in Rose Gold, seen fitted here

Here are just a few snaps of what is now my "everyday watch"

It's just fabulous under a French cuff due to its understated profile

...and in different lighting

Here's a composition I made with some inspiration from the 2013 catalogue

I hope you've enjoyed the snaps. You'll find a longer write up on my Salon visit at the link below:
    http://patek.watchprosite.com/show-f...ti-864338/s-0/

Best M.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: Visiting the Patek Philippe Salon in Genevè

Very nice Mike.

3. Received thanks from:

bsodmike (17-06-2013)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Love how the leather so perfectly matches the gold.

However, I would have still spent the cash on an airplane

Got a better closeup of the movement? http://patek.watchprosite.com/?page=...8&s=0&size=raw doesn't go in close enough for my curiosity.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

5. Received thanks from:

bsodmike (17-06-2013)

Thanks

My timex is exactly like your Patek Mike. Well, exactly apart from the rose gold case, the silvery opaline dial, the alligator skin strap and the sapphire-crystal case back

Very nice indeed Mike; it is a perfect timepiece and manually operated too. Aaaah, just perfect.

And worn with panache .

7. Received thanks from:

bsodmike (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I essentially had the perfect strap in mind and was able to pick mine out from a selection, and they threw in two more straps for free, each strap retails for 500 quid so I'm not complaining :O

Hope these snaps of my 5146's cal 324 movement will do for now, I haven't taken any close ups of the 5127's just yet - they both share the same base movement cal 324 S C which has 213 components. The 5146 is in the 324 S IRM QA LU configuration and has 355 components,

@TheAnimus - point to also note, these images do not come in close to looking at these in person with or without a loupe. The way the light just plays off their finishing, it's something you've got to experience first hand. I suggest dropping into the Patek boutique on Bond street and having a look see

9. Received thanks from:

TheAnimus (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    My timex is exactly like your Patek Mike. Well, exactly apart from the rose gold case, the silvery opaline dial, the alligator skin strap and the sapphire-crystal case back

Very nice indeed Mike; it is a perfect timepiece and manually operated too. Aaaah, just perfect.

And worn with panache .
    Cheers Santa, oh and with the added convenience of automatic winding
    Last edited by bsodmike; 17-06-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Love how the leather so perfectly matches the gold.

However, I would have still spent the cash on an airplane

Got a better closeup of the movement? http://patek.watchprosite.com/?page=...8&s=0&size=raw doesn't go in close enough for my curiosity.
    What airplane are your buying?

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Very jealous Mike, well not actually as it gives us all a chance to see a beautiful watch with a real life opinion, Thanks.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Very tasteful! (Liked the shots of Geneva on the original too

(I have removed a couple of irrelevant/off topic posts from the thread)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

Cool Re: Visiting the Patek Philippe Salon in Genevè

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

(I have removed a couple of irrelevant/off topic posts from the thread)
    Awww. Intrigued now. What did they say?

Though I think I can probably guess...
    ------------------

Valar Morghulis

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    Awww. Intrigued now. What did they say?

Though I think I can probably guess...
    Just more Jokes about Santa..

I must admit I am bit surprised at the amount of oogling over such a
    trivial item , do people really still use labels and objects like this as some symbol ?

Maybe its just me , but how can any one justify spending so much on what is purely a watch , is beyond me.... regardless of what it was made out of , it is still simply a watch .

Its this sort of desire and lusting for material wealth, that is very reason we're in the mess after all because it associates power with objects we create.

No wonder poorer classes would eventually go about doind the same , and live larger than they should of , I mean what did you expect ?

Our cultured is saturated in it , and still is , have we learned nothing at all ?
    Last edited by melon; 17-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks

The question is melon, what is art.

To some people, espesually those with an engineering bent, watches are simply art. With that in mind it becomes a case of how far do you take that, what is terminal for these things. If anyone thinks this is simply a 'label' or 'status' or whatever, check out Mike's blog. For instance, I can't stand fountain pens, nasty throwbacks, might as well use a quill or let blood. However I doubt it would take Mike long at all to write a 4,000 word copy on the techniques used to make the ink flow from a nib.

This is where the purpose of such a thing comes from. Most people fawn over certain things, for some it might be a substance such as drink or drugs, others it might be a painting (for me it was never the Mona Lisa, but dang I can't remember the name, Russian guy, painting people pulling the boat ashore.) some it might be a car.

I had a lot of fun (should have taken photos) ripping appart one of the more fancy fakes I found in south east asia, to see how the mechanisim worked vs what the real one should do.

It is in that vein I wear a mechanical watch. I know that I could make a more accurate one with a few off the shelf components that would cost less than 50p, but there isn't much art to be found in a ic 555 set up as an astable-multivibrator.

17. Received thanks from:

bsodmike (18-06-2013),RobTi (19-06-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

The question is melon, what is art.

To some people, espesually those with an engineering bent, watches are simply art. With that in mind it becomes a case of how far do you take that, what is terminal for these things. If anyone thinks this is simply a 'label' or 'status' or whatever, check out Mike's blog. For instance, I can't stand fountain pens, nasty throwbacks, might as well use a quill or let blood. However I doubt it would take Mike long at all to write a 4,000 word copy on the techniques used to make the ink flow from a nib.

This is where the purpose of such a thing comes from. Most people fawn over certain things, for some it might be a substance such as drink or drugs, others it might be a painting (for me it was never the Mona Lisa, but dang I can't remember the name, Russian guy, painting people pulling the boat ashore.) some it might be a car.

I had a lot of fun (should have taken photos) ripping appart one of the more fancy fakes I found in south east asia, to see how the mechanisim worked vs what the real one should do.

It is in that vein I wear a mechanical watch. I know that I could make a more accurate one with a few off the shelf components that would cost less than 50p, but there isn't much art to be found in a ic 555 set up as an astable-multivibrator.
    Aye - there is the craftmanship part too ( a part I've learned more to appreciate ) , but really how many people that see that are going to be blown over by that , than what its made out of , and what it might represent if its price makes it exclusive to certain classes ?

And furthermore what is the point in wearing one to be seen unless it represent that somehow through design or material used ?

I do see your point , by I think the connoisseurs that would appreciate it on that level are few and far between ( at least for watches ) with pcs or cars its something else..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Aye - there is the craftmanship part too ( a part I've learned more to appreciate ) , but really how many people that see that are going to be blown over by that
    But it's not about that. The emotion of the craft is it's reward, its not about other people going 'coo'. I don't have to film videos of me having sex to get pleasure from it.

I think you are confusing people who find solice in status in society via brand re-enforcement.
    than what its made out of , and what it might represent if its price makes it exclusive to certain classes ?
    Well not really. Ask someone how much they think something like that will cost. I'd wager that less than 1% would get the price even close. Can you tell a £2k rolex from a £20k? Probably not. Given that people probably pay £2k for their TV without even realising it, it isn't as if something like this is available only to the very few elite.
    And furthermore what is the point in wearing one to be seen unless it represent that somehow through design or material used ?
    If I have a difficult meeting, I will probably use a fresh blade razor (probably cut throat), freshly pressed suit a shirt of the best quality etc. This isn't so much for the apperiance I give, as often I will still be looking like a herion junkie or someone who's not had much sleep. It is entirely for me and my perspective.

A friend tried my advice of wearing a suit and deep red shirt for an interview, he found it bizzare that he felt more empowered, more confident. We asociate all sorts of triggers with mental states. It's silly to prentend this isn't the case.
    I do see your point , by I think the connoisseurs that would appreciate it on that level are few and far between ( at least for watches ) with pcs or cars its something else..
    Not really. Cars are the one I find amazing. My views on hexus would be deeply offensive to most people. Namely, buy any car on credit that you can't afford to buy outright is dumb. Really dumb. Cars devalue massively so spend no more than you would blow on a good holiday. I would never spend more than 10% of my income on one.

Yet there are plenty of people posting here who live at home with their parents, have no real savings, but have a 'badge' car, yet most people I know with a bit of cash aren't remotely impressed by someone who has a BMW badge, in fact it is a bit detracting if its more than 2 years old and becomes a bit of a negative.

The watches I've got, whlist not been in Mike's leauge, have actually risen in value. I don't intend to sell them mind, but if ever I needed to, I could within a day get a good price in cash for them. Hell I could even use them as a collateral for a low rate loan. This means if you really enjoy watches, know what your doing, you can happily buy them as part of your savings fund too. There are even tax incentives for doing so (thou I have no idea why!).

20. Received thanks from:

bsodmike (18-06-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

But it's not about that. The emotion of the craft is it's reward, its not about other people going 'coo'. I don't have to film videos of me having sex to get pleasure from it.
    I disagree , unless your just using the watch as item to complete your image , it has a special function , or you worked hard to get it what exactly is the reward unless you had a in creating it ?

Speaking as artist myself that is the only time I feel vindicated or" rewarded " through the realisation of my creation through myself - and then I suppose if others realise that as well.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The beauty of the watches (for me) is in the precision engineering - and that is true whatever the brand - although they have a certain attractiveness as a piece of jewellery - if that floats your boat. As an item of jewellery, they are very understated, which also makes them attractive - certainly not bling.

But I find a similar beauty in a scale model steam engine, or any precision engineered component. Aircraft parts in cast and machined titanium or aluminium alloy are in my eyes as beautiful as a Rodin sculpture.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

23. Received thanks from:

bsodmike (18-06-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information