View Poll Results: Would you pay a little more for better service?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a couple of percent across the board is worth it.

20 68.97%
  • No way, absolute cheapest every time.

2 6.90%
  • I'd pay for an optional premium service, order by order.

5 17.24%
  • What are you talking about, online customer service is fine the way it is!

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you prepared to pay for good service?

Thanks

Are you prepared to pay for good service?

I've been looking at various threads about the bad service we get from several well known online companies when order's go astray and items need returning. We've all been there, bloody awfull returns process, missing days due to address and credit card checks. And rediculous query response and communication.

But we still use these companies because when they work, they are very cheap and often very quick.

So would we be prepared to use a company that charged a couple of percent more across the board and could afford an effective customer service team?

Would you be prepared to pay more on an order by order basis for premium customer supprt? A bit like paying a little more for faster delivery?

Or would you say 'yes it's a great idea' before then shunning the higher prices and spending your money at the traditionally cheap shops with poor service, thus driving a quality service / higher price store out of business.
    They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.

Thanks
    People want everything cheap in my experiance but then they kick a fuss up when service is bad, if u want good service you have to pay a bit extra, simple as....

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    I tend to use suppliers with good prices and also good reliability. That said, I know that Dabs have had a couple of posts on here slating them, but I've always found them to be helpful and reliable.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    I would be happy to pay a bit extra for cutomer service, but would also like the ability to buy stuff instore at a reasonable cost.I needed a a hard drive and printer. I could get them for £61 & £115 delivered online, pc world wanted £95 & £150 in store, but the online shop was cheaper. Several shops were doing the printer on offer but only online (currys), shop wouldnt match the price. So ended up gettin from simply and ebuyer, both items were got with free postage and arrived next day. Have never had to do a return with either company.

Thanks
    I'm poor, and in any case a natural tightwad. I'm prepared to take the risk of buying from the absolute cheapest, because I can afford the time it'll cost me if things go wrong.

If I was buying something important, I'd consider spending the extra. I used to work in retail, so I know full well how much a business costs to run, and I don't expect to get something for nothing. What does annoy me is when I pay full price for something and still get rubbish service.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL
    I get the cheapest i can find from what i consider a reliable supplier (e.g. not OcUK )
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

Thanks
    I'm prepared to pay up to ~15% max over the cheapest that I can find for peace of mind. Of course I would prefer to pay the lowest price at the shop with the best service but this is the real world ...

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    When I was younger and money was tight, I always went for the cheapest option. Now I don't mind paying a little extra if I know that I'll get reasonable service. I'd pay more, but not loads more.

Thanks
    depends on the item. if i'm buying something more liable to break or expensive, such as a laptop or ipod - i would pay a bit over the top to get good service. if i'm buying a stick of cheap ram or a keyboard i'll find the cheapest possible and risk it.

Thanks
    Why should we pay MORE for a reliable service??

Were already paying 50% markup over the manufacturers price!

Then add VAT

And delivery charges (where most shops charge you twice what it acctually costs to ship!)

And then getting an unreliable service?

Think about it. You want to pay extra to make sure you get a good service? I look a it the other way. If they dont give good service, they will only get one order from me.

An example of my last order. Last sunday I ordered a £10 item which in need fairly urgently. It still hasnt arrived. I sent them email, and they cant even be arsed enough to reply.
    Another email I sent says to cancel it. Ive ordered elsewhere and already got the dispatch email, item will arrive tomorrow. If they dont cancel (i.e. it arrives sometime in the next month so I have to send it back etc...) it then I will not be happy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    Why should we pay MORE for a reliable service??

Were already paying 50% markup over the manufacturers price!
    Maybe at PC world and your local computer store, but not at Dabs or Ebuyer surely. They run on teeny-tiny margins to compete, /but/ They cut costs on customer service. If they could afford to offer better service they probably would, to gain customers. But low prices wins them more customers.

So when I say I'd like to pay for quality service and then I shop at Dabs or Ebuyer I'm shooting myself in the foot I suppose. Hence when I need something in a hurry (rarely) and they decide to spend 48 hours holding my item, despite my paying for express next day delivery (also rarely, but coincidentally the same occasion ) I'd hapilly pay an extra fee for the Bas****s to answer a phone and explain to me whats going on.

Thanks

Angry

This country is so pathetic!! In other places I've spent time in (Hong Kong, the US, Canada, Australia, etc), good services is part and parcel of the normal course of business. People expect good services in whatever sector they have to deal with. If you receive services that you'd consider as sub-standard, you can raise hell with the management and you'll get the right results straight away.

Here, we expect bad or below average services and if someone ever do something for you that is within your expectation, you think you're the king/queen...

Good service is an expectation not a premium!!
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    Yeah, but just 'cos you expect it, do you get it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stytagm
    Yeah, but just 'cos you expect it, do you get it?
    That is exactly the kind of attitude that will allow service providers getting away with providing poor service. Since I expect good service, if I don't get it, I demand it; if they still don't get it - I raise hell!
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    Who do you buy from? Are they as cheap as the cheapest web stores? Have you ever tried raising hell with Dabs' RMA department? (Easier said than done).

I think I keep answering my own questions a little bit here. Customer service simply does cost a business money, anything that costs a business money will ultimately cost the customers money, either spread thin on all the prices, or as a fee.

Also when you were in The US enjoying their excellent customer services did you ever buy a Burger in McD's? Crap service, or at least no better than here. Did you notice how the waitresses in other restaurants are nice because they are paid less than the minimum wage and need your tips to survive? Again, you're paying for it one way or another.

Thanks
    As all things in life, there are two ways of looking at the same scenario. I very much doubt McDonald's in any part of the more industrialized world actually pay their counter staff more than the absolute bare minimum. However, while the staff pay may be minimal no matter where you go, the attitudes of the staff vary from place to place. As you've mentioned, if you enter one of the 'temples of the Golden Arches' in the UK, the overall impression is that you're disturbing the staff's break - their attitude towards you is one of annoyance! Ok, I'm not suggesting that I'd get silver service in ones in Hong Kong or Toronto or New York, but it is certainly less miserable than the ones in the UK. The staffs may not be motivated, but at least they don't give the impression of being not motivated. That's the difference in attitude.

While picking on McDonald's is kind of unfair as it is fast food and you really can't expect much of a 'service' in fast food, I believe it is representative of the rest of the 'culture' in a certain country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information