Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good careers to go into/how to pick one

Thanks

Good careers to go into/how to pick one

Next year (sept 2013) I'm gonna be applying to uni :S (in yr12 now) and I'm still not sure what I wanna do.

Atm I'm doing chemistry, maths, physics and (might drop) Spanish. I was predicted 4 A's this year but I sure I'll get at least AABB.

I was thinking of doing Dentistry, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the job (I'd most like enjoy the learning) and I can't apply to many good universities without at least a biology AS.

Next option is Chemistry/Chem Engineering. I don't know too much about these but I do know they're good degrees to do. I know Chem eng is more about industrial processes and that straight Chem seems to open up more career paths? After seeing the starting wage for a chemical engineer, I think the wage for a chemist is quite low/standard.
    At school I enjoy more of the chemical not organic side but it does seem that a lot of the jobs directly related to a chemistry degree aren't that high paying (found using prospects.ac.uk)

Another option I haven't looked much into is along the lines of IT (which I believe I could still get into with a chem degree) with maybe a CS degree. Programming looks good but I know that a lot of work is moving to other countries and without experience, you're pretty much nothing - but then I guess that applies to most jobs anyway

So, any thoughts/helpful things anyone has to say?

I've asked a similar question in another forum, but I think it would be good to get a wide range of opinions.

TIA

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: Good careers to go into/how to pick one

I'll probably post something more coherent in the morning, but...

You generally won't lose out by doing any decent degree. I'm not saying any firm will take you on for anything, but you can easily get a job in IT/business without a specifically related degree. So you could easily do something you're interested in, see where it goes, and if it doesn't pan out for you, look at more general career paths (i.e. IT/business/finance/etc).

From experience of friends completing degrees, straight science (i.e. chem/bio/physics) and into industry can be really tough, depending on what you want. It's not necessarily all that easy to find jobs without Msc and PhD, and even then you can't expect big salaries. But if it does pan out for you, it's certainly edifying. If you're thinking about chemical engineering, have you considered looking more broadly at engineering in general? It might provide a few more opportunities that you're interested in.

Ultimately, I don't think you need to worry. You can do any worthwhile degree, and wind up doing something worthwhile if you've got the drive and the wherewithal to push through. I'm not saying you can get a degree in computing, and become a doctor, but there are a heck of a lot of employers out there who just want intelligent and motivated individuals - it's not about what you did at uni, but what you can learn and offer when you start work. So even if you do chemistry, and realise two years later you hate it, you're far from restricted. There will be a lot of things out there you can still do.

I don't know enough about dentistry to comment, but I would seriously question whether it's worth going to a uni you dislike and/or don't rate just because it's one that will let you in. If your AS levels are locking you out, then look what else is out there. With chem, maths and physics (I would seriously consider dropping the language ahead of those if you're contemplating science/engineering at uni), there won't be many doors closed to you in terms of degrees, so you've got a heck of a lot of choice.

No-one can really tell you exactly what to do, since they don't know what you're interested in, but I don't think you can make a huge mistake here. Even if you go into something and hate it, when you come out of the three years you can go elsewhere and do something different. Or you might love it and really go for it. It's pretty unlikely you'll maintain the same vision of your future for 4 years through your application and your degree. But I would advise that you really look into the jobs you're considering, and get a much stronger idea of what they're like. At the very least, try to find people who have done those jobs and speak to them - perhaps a careers service might be able to put you in touch. I was really interested in chemical engineering at one point, and was seriously considering it, but the more people I spoke to, the more I realised I just wasn't going to enjoy it. You might love it, and that's great. But I think you probably need to have a much firmer idea (certainly beyond the predicted salaries and descriptions in typical career software and job adverts) of what you're considering doing before you take the plunge on a degree. There will always be doors open, but you might close a few that later become appealing and come to regret it.

3. Received thanks from:

Mehta23 (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    • billythewiz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth P67
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Clocked to 4.7GHz with Alpenfohn Matterhorn Performance Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 / Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer V243H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20Gb/s

It might sound obvious but Chemical Engineering is an Engineering degree and as such it's much more like Civil or Mechanical Engineering than it is like Chemistry. Chem. Eng. leads to a job at an oil refinery.

My advice to people who aren't sure is pick a subject that you are really interested in. Don't do dentistry just for the money and don't do Comp.Sci. just because you're confident you'll get a job in it.

If you had to go onto amazon and buy an academic book to read, what subject would you pick ? Study that.

You don't realise it yet but when you graduate you'll probably get a job in FMCG, sales, marketing, management or accountancy, irrespective of what you study. It's just easier to get a job with a first and it's easier to get a first if you like the subject.

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

I was in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago, wasn't sure what I wanted to do etc

I've just finished my third year at Loughborough doing Electronic and Computer Systems Engineering and I don't regret it

I would recommend you choose something you enjoy over something you think will earn you money, as others have said for quite a few jobs the title of the degree isn't important, merely the fact you've shown you're capable/willing to learn by completing it.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

only advice I have is...

don't do a job based on your hobby, you'll end up hating your hobby. it'll associate itself with work and if you hate work, you'll end up hating your hobby.
    a hobby is just that, it takes your mind away from stresses of work, its relaxing.

don't base your career on what money you'll earn. you may end up hating it even more, there's no guarantee that any of the jobs you've been reading about with those salaries you'll actually get. you could be stuck in the more menial end of that career and not get promoted because theres people who actually enjoy that work better than you and work harder at it, whereas you only went into it because it paid better than other stuff.

find something you enjoy doing. the engineering path sounds best from what you said in the op.
    theres the oil/gas industry to look at. they need chemical people with engineering degrees.
    you may enjoy the 'earthquake death machines*' they're working on at the moment.

just my advice anyhow. from someone who's been unemployed/volunteering for the past decade. who made mistakes in choosing A levels and jobs to go into.

*EDM = fracking machines. shale gas exploration seems to be the next best thing.

7. Received thanks from:

Andeh13 (30-06-2013),Mehta23 (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    only advice I have is...

don't do a job based on your hobby, you'll end up hating your hobby. it'll associate itself with work and if you hate work, you'll end up hating your hobby.
    a hobby is just that, it takes your mind away from stresses of work, its relaxing.

don't base your career on what money you'll earn. you may end up hating it even more, there's no guarantee that any of the jobs you've been reading about with those salaries you'll actually get. you could be stuck in the more menial end of that career and not get promoted because theres people who actually enjoy that work better than you and work harder at it, whereas you only went into it because it paid better than other stuff.
    Generally agree except I still love Diving and when I'm working as an DM / Instructor I get just as much enjoyment teaching/taking people out than I do going as a guest myself... but then I go back into the other career (IT) and start to hate both people and computers

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

With those A Levels, my first instinct is to go towards some kind of engineering. There is a shortage of most kinds of engineers at the moment, apparently. If you do a course that has a sandwich year, you'll have the qualification and some (limited) work experience as well. Also agree with what others have been saying about choosing something you enjoy and are interested in.

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-B75-D3V (rev 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Black Viper 24GB 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7850 OC edition 2 GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • AvP Triton Mid Tower PC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 (64 Bit)
      • Internet:
      • 8 Mbps (1 MBps) Tiscali

I was in same dilemma as you about 6-7 years ago, the A-Levels I chosen were IT, Art, DT and Networking (CCNA). At least I pretty much know which career I want to go into either IT or art related career. In the end I decided go more into fields of IT and not sure whether to be a developer or IT professional, I applied for Computer Science sandwich course. During the course I found I like programming but end up being a script monkey and hoping the program I developed for final year was working so decided to go for an IT support role. I actually spent three years on CS course because I couldn't find a placement course due to limited work experience

Definitely select a career that you are interested or knowledgeable in so you will enjoy it otherwise you will end up hating the job. I developed kinda a love-hate relationship with my current IT job, love IT, hate people At the moment I am sort of in general IT and leaning towards virtulisation field.
    Last edited by stilkun; 28-06-2013 at 10:59 AM.

11. Received thanks from:

Mehta23 (29-06-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    If you're thinking about chemical engineering, have you considered looking more broadly at engineering in general? It might provide a few more opportunities that you're interested in.
    No, I haven’t, although I’ve been told that a chem eng degree might be a lil more limiting, so I’ll have a look at engineering in general too.

You can do any worthwhile degree, and wind up doing something worthwhile if you've got the drive and the wherewithal to push through. So even if you do chemistry, and realise two years later you hate it, you're far from restricted. There will be a lot of things out there you can still do.
    Yeah, I’m told maths or science degrees are good for getting into fields like IT and finance, so that’s good to have as a back up I guess.

I would seriously question whether it's worth going to a uni you dislike and/or don't rate just because it's one that will let you in. (I would seriously consider dropping the language ahead of those if you're contemplating science/engineering at uni
    It’s not a bad Uni (10th) but I will be having a look to see if I’d like to go there. Having one dentistry application takes one away from the remaining 5 choices I have…..
    Why no language?

But I would advise that you really look into the jobs you're considering, and get a much stronger idea of what they're like. At the very least, try to find people who have done those jobs and speak to them - perhaps a careers service might be able to put you in touch.
    I know a few dentists, and I might be able to find a chemical engineer, or someone who wasnts to go into it. Edit: in fact, I think one of my teachers was interested in chem eng, so I’ll ask him when I see him next
    But I think you probably need to have a much firmer idea (certainly beyond the predicted salaries and descriptions in typical career software and job adverts) of what you're considering doing before you take the plunge on a degree. .
    Yeah, I know but I’m finding it hard to find good information, and trying to see if I’d enjoy doing or learning that.
    [QUOTE=billythewiz;2969713]It might sound obvious but Chemical Engineering is an Engineering degree and as such it's much more like Civil or Mechanical Engineering than it is like Chemistry. Chem. Eng. leads to a job at an oil refinery.
    Yeah, I know that. What I don’t know is if I’d still enjoy chem eng, which Im told is more about structures and chemical processes and building plants etc.
    My advice to people who aren't sure is pick a subject that you are really interested in. Don't do dentistry just for the money and don't do Comp.Sci. just because you're confident you'll get a job in it.
    My original thoughts for dentistry were because I knew it was high paid, and because I liked/ was interested in teeth. I’d say I would enjoy learning, but I don’t know if I’d enjoy being a dentist. Chem eng was because engineers seem to be in high demand, and high paid too, and I really enjoy chemistry at school.
    If you had to go onto amazon and buy an academic book to read, what subject would you pick ? Study that.
    Probably would be chemistry related, or IT related, but saying that, I didn’t really enjoy the theory side of my AS IT classes, so I doubt I’ll enjoy learning about the same sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
    I would recommend you choose something you enjoy over something you think will earn you money, as others have said for quite a few jobs the title of the degree isn't important, merely the fact you've shown you're capable/willing to learn by completing it.
    If I haven’t said it already, this is why I’m thinking of doing a chemistry course, as it should “open up more paths” even if I don’t want to do something chemical as a job.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    only advice I have is...
    CS might be out of the window then. and coding/developing apps as a hobby might actually be quite cool.

Yeah, good point actually. Those figures would be an estimate, but I don’t think they’d vary too much?

find something you enjoy doing. the engineering path sounds best from what you said in the op.
    theres the oil/gas industry to look at. they need chemical people with engineering degrees.
    you may enjoy the 'earthquake death machines*' they're working on at the moment.
    I was thinking of the engineering as I know there’s quite high demand, and thanks for the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    Generally agree except I still love Diving and when I'm working as an DM / Instructor I get just as much enjoyment teaching/taking people out than I do going as a guest myself... but then I go back into the other career (IT) and start to hate both people and computers
    That’s what I’m afraid of. Hating my job/degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    With those A Levels, my first instinct is to go towards some kind of engineering. There is a shortage of most kinds of engineers at the moment, apparently. If you do a course that has a sandwich year, you'll have the qualification and some (limited) work experience as well. Also agree with what others have been saying about choosing something you enjoy and are interested in.
    I was told theres also a shortage of chemists too. Manchester uni does 4/5year courses with a year in industry with companies like BP and Exxion- so that looks pretty good

Thanks

oops, double post

one thing I didnt mention was that I know petroleum engineering seems to be very good to go into now - but what about the future? I guess I'll know that for sure after I finish my degree

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Mehta23 View Post
    Why no language?
    Science degrees will typically want 2 sciences + maths, so it will be a much stronger application with those three intact. The language is basically surplus - you could carry it on as a 4th A-level if you wanted to, but I don't think any unis actually care whether you have 3 A levels + 1 AS or 4 A levels, so you're just giving yourself more work than necessary.

3 A grades at A-level > 2 A grades and 2 B grades

15. Received thanks from:

Mehta23 (30-06-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post

3 A grades at A-level > 2 A grades and 2 B grades
    It depends on year taken.

3 C grades in the 1970s > 4 A grades in 2013.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    It depends on year taken.

3 C grades in the 1970s > 4 A grades in 2013.
    Well he's taking them now, so that's neither here nor there. And that's conjecture anyway.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Quote Originally Posted by Mehta23 View Post
    I was thinking of doing Dentistry, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the job (I'd most like enjoy the learning) and I can't apply to many good universities without at least a biology AS.

Next option is Chemistry/Chem Engineering. I don't know too much about these but I do know they're good degrees to do. I know Chem eng is more about industrial processes and that straight Chem seems to open up more career paths? After seeing the starting wage for a chemical engineer, I think the wage for a chemist is quite low/standard.
    Chem eng is different to chemistry. More job oppertunities and higher paid.

Chemistry has taken an absolout hammering recently. The big Pharma (traditionaly the biggest source of cash injection) have moved to a low low asset/high cash model and are laying people off left right and center. Its incredibly stressful and underpaid unless you get a good job which are in short demand. With so many redundancies adn good people out there the job market is very competative.

Chemistry degrees are pretty tough and I think they are recognised for that. Most chemists move into IT or accountancy.

Dentistry is a good earner and more dependable although a bit dull.

19. Received thanks from:

Mehta23 (30-06-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

In higher paid/skilled jobs life expectancy tends to be lower. Especially in chemistry and dentistry.

Tough choice eh!

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

Mechanical Engineer.

Bar none. There is huge demand for qualified, well rounded, individuals with a Mech Eng degree. Automotive (what I have) Aerospace etc, are all much of the same but Mech Eng is the most general and can be spun off into any industry you like! If you are doing those A-levels you are clearly pretty good at them so Engineering has to be towards the top of your list.

Within 2-3 years of leaving uni you will be looking at £35k a year type roles, getting the first grad scheme is fight but all roles will be like that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information