Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: September 11th

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks

September 11th

It's coming up nearly 2 years since this tragic event happened.

Many of you may wish to forget about it, to stop memories flowing back.

I personally like to remember these events. It's a hammer mark in history. Just a damm shame so many people lost their lives in this event.

I live in a town called Washington, in Tyne & Wear. The home town of George Washington. A few years ago when i was at college i was asked to update and design the Official Washington website. Since living here for 21 years I've got a good knowledge of the history and present day.
    A few weeks after finishing the website they contacted me, just after september 11th and asked if I could produce a Book of Condolences. Every year the Washington website is updated by a selected student from the college. So unfortunately my website design is no longer active on the main site. BUT. I decided i would buy my own domain and create my own website to share my memories and history of my home town.

http://www.WashingtonUK.co.uk

If anyone would like to sign the book of condolences or just read the past comments... please do so.. Here

Just after september 11th happened I came across an amazing collection of photographs and along with the photos was a pretty amazing story. I still have these on my computer and have uploaded them incase anyone would like to view them. It's a very interesting story from the photographer's viewpoint.

Click Me

I bet everyone can remember where they were when they first heard about the tragic news. I know I can. What's strange is I had been speaking to a friend online (Nimrod - John), and he had been to New York a few weeks earlier and was showing me the photographs the day before it happened. On the morning of September 11th i was speaking to my dad telling him about these amazing photos which I had seen that had been taken from the top of the WTC. Then about 2 hours later we heard the news. I was guttered! It was a place i had always wanted to visit. Even though they are not there anymore.. I still want to go! Hopefully if all goes well, im planning on going to New York at Christmas, visit a few sites and do a bit Christmas shopping.

Can anyone remember a few months back now when they showed how the fire brigade coped that day? A video diary. It was absolutely amazing! Terrifying but amazing. If i remember it was a trainee that was just joining the fire bridge and they had decided to do a video diary of day to day events. What's the coincidence to have even thought they would have captured this sort of event on video. I noticed on skynews website earlier that they have some new unseen video footage of the planes crashing into the buildings. This is the only known footage to have captured BOTH planes. I am yet to see the footage but I will be watching skynews from now on to try and catch a viewing of this footage.
    Here

I just hope we have no follow up events to mark its aniversity this year; my girlfriend is flying back from Florida on Thursday, so lets hope nothing happens.

P.S. Dont trash this thread... I've put a bit of effort into it, so please put a bit of effort into your replys!
    Last edited by XTR; 09-09-2003 at 03:30 AM.

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My condolences always go out to all of the victims of this horrific attack.
    My thoughts are with you especially at this difficult time of year.

Thanks
    It was a sad day for democracy

Thanks
    Personally I'm expecting something similar or worse very soon now. One day it's going to dawn on the governments that they cannot control ideology, dogma, and fundamentalist religious fervour. And it may well take the next big hit to make them wake up and smell the roses. They may then conclude that religion must go.

Pessimistic I am.

CHeers,

MM

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    I'm almost convinced that we will see another major terrorist attack later this year or early next year.

It's only time before they have planned a new attack against the British or the Americans to retaliate for the Iraq war and various other anti-terrorist movements..

I expect that in our life times we will have to get used to this sorta thing, because however hard the government tries, eradicating terrorism is near impossible.

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Batman
    Thanks
    It was a sad day I still remember it very clearly its soemthing i dont want to see again but, sadly i think we will and if i was to guess id say not too long from now, its all gone far too quiet for my likeing.

Thanks
    Its sad to say but it won't be the last attack of its kind. There are too many mad people with stoopid ideologies for it to happen

Thanks
    I can certainly remember exactly where I was when I heard about the attacks.

Did anyone see the article in the Observer on Sunday - about a Journalist who tried to find out the identity of the 'falling man' in one of the pics that all the newspapers ran? It was fascinating - I think it is also in this month's Esquire (but it may be the US edition)
    24" iMac & Macbook Air

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Its one of those things i think that people will always remember exactly where they were or who told them.

It changed the world and is a huge mark in history, unfortunatly i doubt it'll be the last attack of its kind

Thanks
    XTR, I hope this isn't what what you had in mind when you asked for your thread not to be trashed. (if it is, I apologise). It's just that it was probably the most powerful event any of us has witnessed so far in out short lives.

Personally I saw it "live" in real time which added a huge amount to the impact of the event on me personally. I grabbed a late lunch and switched on the news as normal, but saw the camera shots of the tower one with smoke comming out of it, and immediately swiched over to CNN as they can do all things live and American a lot better than most. At first it was looking like a tragic accident, but then within about 10 minutes in live shot came the second plane. The rest as they say is history.

No way on earth did anything prepare me for the towers actually falling down. I felt ill with the shock of the magnitude of the event.

A day we will not forget for sure. That is, sadly untill it is outdone by another so called "spectacular." Me waits with pessimistic reality for it, and I don't think there can be much doubt that it will come. Let's face the facts here, these people are in an idealogical war with the West especially the USA and they will stop at nothing to achieve their aims. If they can aquire WMD ability, they WILL use it. They will not threaten, they will not barter, they will not bluff like the IPK, instead they will just simply do it. There is no reasoning with fanatical beliefs, those holding them are worse than unfeeling machines of any Sci-fi nightmare. This cold hard reality we are talking about here. 911 happened, it will happen again sooner or later.

Hey! I'm feeling cheery today!

Cheers,

MM

Thanks
    I also saw it 'live' - I was writing my dissertation for my masters and had BBC news24 on in the background. As the events unfolded it became more and more like a film...

Thanks
    A muslim extremist group ( Al-Muhajiroun) has been displaying posters for events called 'The Magnificent 19', conferences that will be taking place around the UK. Reports the Daily Mail today
    The poster features pictures of those involved, including Osama Bin Laden and the background contains a picture of the World Trade Centres on fire.

The group insist it is no celebration, but rather a look into the lives of the men involved and their motivations. The website here also contains the quotes
    Moreover, it would be more fruitful for all concerned to practise restraint and to understand that the conference entitled 'The Magnificent 19' is scheduled to discuss the lives, motives and reasons behind the 19 men who partook in the events on the 11th of September 2001, as opposed to celebrating the operations themselves.
    and
    anyone....must surely reserve their disgust, condemnation and calls for arrest, for the real terrorists and bandits i.e. George Bush and Tony Blair.
    im not too sure what to think of all this.
    Last edited by Kilrov; 09-09-2003 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Kilrov
    A muslim extremist group ( Al-Muhajiroun) has been displaying posters for events called 'The Magnificent 19', conferences that will be taking place around the UK. Reports the Daily Mail today
    The poster features pictures of those involved, including Osama Bin Laden and the background contains a picture of the World Trade Centres on fire.

The group insist it is no celebration, but rather a look into the lives of the men involved and their motivations. The website here also contains the quotes

and

im not too sure what to think of all this.
    Well having had a look at the link there, it just about confirms what I've been dribbling on about previously.

But I'm not happy about it just the same.

Cheers,

MM

Registered+
    Thanks
    We were on an all day pub-crawl as these tragic events were unfolding. It was surreal; my friend’s mum kept phoning to tell us the events unfolding. I couldn’t believe this could happen. Eventually we found a bar with Sky News. It really ruined our pub-crawl.

As for “Al-Muhajiroun”, to me it looks like there are glorifying the events, regardless of what they tell people. But unfortunately, however distasteful I find their views, I suppose everyone has the right to free speech. Although here’s a discussion, should we allow people the freedom of speech that do not actually believe in it themselves? But by denying it we would be compromising our own beliefs in the freedom of speech, ugh, that’s one hell of a philosophical debate.

As for the Daily Mail though I wouldn’t believe too much you read in it, it’s got to be worse than even the Sun and Mirror.

I’m not so sure that something on this scale will happen again soon, events like these are not common throughout history, but who am I to try to predict the future. I certainly hope nothing happens, my girlfriend is flying to Australia on the night of the 10th, and so will be in the air on the 11th, eek.
    Last edited by Anders; 09-09-2003 at 07:19 PM.
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Thanks
    altho it is a terrible thing to happen, theres something odd and exciting about seeing stuff like this on TV. like that thing that was on BBC1 a while ago about the M25 accident and the plane crash and the faked terrorist attack in spooks.

am i sick

Registered+
    Thanks
    I guess it’s exciting until you see the human cost of it? If even after seeing the human cost side of things it excites you, then yes you are sick It all seemed so bad that it I remember wishing it was a film. If those events had been in a Hollywood film I wonder if we’d have thought it far fetched? In fact, wasn’t there a film from years back that depicted a spookily similar scenario, not seen it myself, but I remember reading about after 9-11.
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information