Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits Street

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Benefits Street

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/benefits-street/4od

So, this is the Channel 4 fly-on-wall documentary about a street in Birmingham which has lots of long term un-employed people on benefits.

It is has stirred up some controversy, as already people have claimed that they were unfairly representing things in the TV show. Obviously it has been designed to pick the worst elements of the street.

So what do the good people of Hexus think?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Benefits Street

I personally think the benefits system has gotten out of hand, now created an whole entitlement culture. Too many people now expects too much for nothing, which is not how to world works else where.

Benefits should be something that keeps you clothes and fed during times of hardship, safety net to keep you going, not for Smart phones, Large screen TV, Sky Subscriptions, Dre headphones, foreign holidays etc, having them is not a right, but a privilege that needs to be earned through hard work.

These kind of shows at least attempt to bring attention to such culture.

3. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (11-01-2014),ik9000 (09-01-2014),Spud1 (11-01-2014)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by spiritdreams View Post
    No, all they do is annoy hard working folk as we will not see any differences enforced by government. These people will still have their large screens, sky subs etc paid for by the rest of us as they work the system.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

If disdain is all you feel toward these people, then the programme has achieved its purpose in manipulating the viewers' perspective. For a start, those living in James Turner street were conned as to what the premise of the programme was about - I understand they were told it was about community spirit and surviving hard times whereas they were presented as a bunch of benefits cheats.

These are people trapped by circumstances in which poverty begats hopelessness in a Country bursting at the seams with wealth. No wonder they are frustrated and have all but given up. Their betrayal will be complete when they lose the small handouts they get.

I think people should be given an even break; they are entitled to live with some dignity imho.

Don't blame them, blame those squeezing them.

6. Received thanks from:

Disturbedguy (09-01-2014),Steve (11-01-2014)

Thanks

I recall fungi always scrounging for change when I worked in Brum, funny to see him on TV.

You can't blame people for their reactions santa, spending what little money they have on fags, drugs and booze does make it hard to feel sorry for them.

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    No, all they do is annoy hard working folk as we will not see any differences enforced by government.
    Almost. The government IS making chanes to some of the benefits the claimants can receive, but not nearly enough. My fiancee has been looking for a job for 2 months and the Job Center (apart from NOT helping her look for a job) have said the Job Seekers Allowance will cease next month regardless of her finding work or not since she is under 25.

Fair enough, cap the allowance or remove it completely then use the money saved to hire actual recruiters to help her find a damn job.

I do agree that there are too many benefits out there that the governemt just gives out as if it were the claimants human rights to receive it.

I am all for the government setting up "Work Centres" like the victorians had. Come to work, learn a trade (be it sewing like then knicker ladies on Corrie, or Bricklaying on new housing developments ), get fed, get your benefits as a wage. It doesnt matter what work they do, just make them work.

9. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (09-01-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I recall fungi always scrounging for change when I worked in Brum, funny to see him on TV.

You can't blame people for their reactions santa, spending what little money they have on fags, drugs and booze does make it hard to feel sorry for them.
    Yes, I understand that Rob but they are trapped; fags, drugs and booze are comforters. Walk a mile in their shoes and all that. Incidentally fungi said he had suffered abuse as a child that had affected him mentally - a scrounger, nah, a lost soul more like.

The only thing I didn't like was that some turned to stealing but those trying to survive on a few quid a week have nothing but my sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    I am all for the government setting up "Work Centres" like the victorians had. Come to work, learn a trade (be it sewing like then knicker ladies on Corrie, or Bricklaying on new housing developments ), get fed, get your benefits as a wage. It doesnt matter what work they do, just make them work.
    I think the Job Title for that is "slave".
    Last edited by santa claus; 08-01-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by spiritdreams View Post
    I personally think the benefits system has gotten out of hand, now created an whole entitlement culture. Too many people now expects too much for nothing, which is not how to world works else where.
    But don't the stats on benefits show that that's not the case. Wish I could find it now - might have been here, might have been on the grauniad, but I think the evidence was that the vast majority of benefits is going to working or disabled people. The number of people getting something for nothing was so low as it be almost insignificant.

Or just feed into a mis-representation of the scale of the situation.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    I think the Job Title for that is "slave".
    Only if they don't get paid. A slave isn't the same as paid mandatory labour.

Maybe the government should just go for full self support and require everyone to have unemployment insurance, that way the government doesn't have to pay anything out.
    Those that can't afford it will eventually succumb to natural attrition.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    Don't blame them, blame those squeezing them.
    If you haven't watched the episode, sorry for the spoilers (and why comment!) but you seriously think that someone steals trousers, magazines and booze to feed their heroin habbit because they are been squeezed?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

When I saw the trailers I thought it was another government-instigated assault on the poor by the media in order to stigmatise a section of the community so people won't care when what little they have is taken away. Similar to the 'NHS is rubbish' headlines we're getting a lot more now...

Haven't watched it so I don't know if this is the case.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    When I saw the trailers I thought it was another government-instigated assault on the poor by the media in order to stigmatise a section of the community so people won't care when what little they have is taken away. Similar to the 'NHS is rubbish' headlines we're getting a lot more now...

Haven't watched it so I don't know if this is the case.
    Fascinated to know how you think this is government instigated? I don't see it as conspiracy theory when 'cheap-to-make TV with populist appeal' is a more likely explanation.

Sadly there are worse cases of unfair wealth redistribution (council house for life...) but this type of thing raises the hackles of Joe Taxpayer no end so gets the coverage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    But don't the stats on benefits show that that's not the case. Wish I could find it now - might have been here, might have been on the grauniad, but I think the evidence was that the vast majority of benefits is going to working or disabled people. The number of people getting something for nothing was so low as it be almost insignificant.
    Something like this ?

Showing around 10% of benefits going to the unemployed, I wonder how many people violently venting their spleen over this show happily accept Child Benefit, Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits and/or Income Support.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Or just feed into a mis-representation of the scale of the situation.
    Shows like Benefits Street are part of a vicious circle essentially driven by the channels, viewers have been conditioned by Big Fat Gypsies and 999 emergency and the rest to associate a level of viewing enjoyment with frustration and anger towards the behaviour of a tiny minority of society. As long as the viewing figures are there the production companies will keep making these shows as the channels care solely about viewing figures as that drives their revenue. The BBC used to be less affected by this, but with the effective annual cut to their budget they are feeling it more now too, but that's a different discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

17. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (09-01-2014),chuckskull (08-01-2014),Disturbedguy (09-01-2014),Jonj1611 (08-01-2014),kalniel (08-01-2014),kompukare (09-01-2014),Pob255 (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

It was an amusing program but good for feeding Daily Mail hysteria. Well worth a watch as long as you don't take such things too seriously and believe it is typical of anything.

The way they called shoplifting "work" and benefits "pay" was interesting if a little jarring at first. I guess you would delude yourself with such labels for self esteem?

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

I'll probably see it later given all the talk on radio this was given this morning.

If it follows past tactics it will go something like > take a few extreme examples and paint everyone on benefits as the same, direct public anger at them and then capitalize said public emotion the next day by appearing before national TV and announce further caps/cuts like some hero.

Spreadie

Clearly those people are cannier than me, because I wouldn't have a clue how to survive on benefits. I was made redundant after 16 years and was entitled to £65 a week! Thankfully, I found another job within a few months, but it was the first time I have lain awake in bed wondering how I was going to provide for the family.

The job centre was an eye-opening experience too - as I was just out of long term employment, I was whisked upstairs and assigned a handler to help me get back into work. When I asked why the dozens of Chav baby factories downstairs didn't get the same treatment, I was given a resigned look and unofficially told "because we know you want to find work, and we wont be wasting our time".

Heaven forbid you fall into that demographic but actually want to find work - you'll get no help at all.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information