Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double glazing cold callers; this evening's moderately interesting example

Thanks

Double glazing cold callers; this evening's moderately interesting example

Had a pair of double glazing salesmen this evening around 6pm; I never answer the door to cold callers or take any notice unless there are reasons to do so, but I observed this lot covertly as they were slightly worse than the norm, in that:

a) they parked up my drive (presumably because too dark to park safely in road? however, wasn't happy about it )

b) rang bell, waited, poked about a bit, went back to pavement, rang again, then rapped letterbox.

c) then for some reason one made a 5-10 minute call on his mobile, various chat/laughter/matiness &c, sadly couldn't catch the gist

d) the other one put the car boot up also for a good 5 mins, for unknown reason

e) had another good few knocks at door & finally shoved leaflet in & gave up. 10-15 minutes all told I'd say.

First off, I was stumped why they persisted so long as there was no car in the drive, few lights on, no signs of movement at that point, no sound no tv on etc. So at 6 pm you would conclude no-one was in - wouldn't you?

Second, I was quite taken aback & disappointed to find the company was a major & (I always felt) more respectable example of its type & not a prime doorstepping firm.

tl;dr really is time that door-to-door anything should be totally put a stop to. I can well imagine this pair coming back for another crack, so what d'you reckon - a no cold callers sign, or go straight for the hoot owl of death?
    Last edited by sammyc; 21-01-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Double glazing cold callers; this evening's moderately interesting example

Hmmm. Strange.

Most cold-callers, double glazing or not, won't waste that amount of time. They can't. It's purely a numbers game, and they have to hit large of doorbells to get anything more positive than "go away", and only a small percentage of those not immediately telling them to sling their hook will actually result in a sale. Unless they really pound pavement, they'll end up either fired, or starving to death.

Their behaviour suggests to me that had, or thought they had, an appointment.

So I suspect either an admin cockup gave them the wrong address, perhaps explaining the phone call, or someone was pranking them by sending them on a wild goose chase, and you happened to be the lucky winner if that person's "address picked at random" choice. Or, just perhaps, someone's targeting you for nuisance problems, in which case, expect increased levels of junkmail, and more visits from those religious doorsteppers.

Oh, and if they did think they have an appointment, the fastest way to get rid of them will be to answer the door, and tell them you aren't interested, didn't invite them, and that maybe someone is wasting their time, "now please go away and don't pester me again".

3. Received thanks from:

sammyc (21-01-2014)

Thanks

I don't think anyone would be deliberately targeting me, though a prank or a mistake isn't out of the question. Mostly I get window men because yes my windows need replacing - so it's probably that easily explicable, but the hanging around less so. I didn't consider a possible mixed-up/mistaken appointment; if I could have heard their phone conversation then no doubt all would have become clear.

The moment I want my windows replaced I'll sort a firm out myself like 99% of people, but I can't blame them for trying because as you say they are circling for a likely sale and I'll be like catnip to them, and no doubt highly frustrating that they can't snap me up. (Good! )

I appreciate that getting rid of them is the simplest answer but in the first instance I don't know who they are; & I'm basically just not going to the door for every tom dick & harry that wants to knock. The other thing that irks me is that if you do give any sign you're in, people take it as almost unthinkable you won't answer - whereas as far as I'm concerned it makes no odds - frankly, I'm not expecting you/didn't invite you so, go away.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Yeah, I understand the attitude, largely because I share it.

Also, personally, when I need something, whether it's trees trimmed, drive relaid, new windows or whatever, I WILL NOT respond positively to someone knocking on the door. I'll do my own research, maybe get recommendations from friends, neighbours, etc, but I'll approach the firm, not ever the other way round. I do not trust those knocking on my door, which is a pity for those decent, genuine small businesses doing it, but if anyone reading this does that, I can only suggest you carefully consider just how strongly a lot of householders detest being pestered like that. You may not be doing yourself any favours, being tarred with that brush. If you want business from me, DON'T bang on my door, because I don't like it. And clearly, sammy, I'm not alone in that.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Share that view - I don't buy on impulse at the doorstep - and certainly not for a major investment like replacement windows, and any cold caller that calls after 6 pm when I am unwinding gets polite but very short response. Cold telephone callers get a somewhat less polite response....

But the persistence of the ones you had suggest that they did think they would be expected. Might be worth calling the company just to be sure they were genuine though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

7. Received thanks from:

sammyc (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Hmmm... I'd actually be a little concerned by how long that all took.
    Possibly burglars casing homes and seeking targets, especially if the target is stupid enough to invite them in so they can look around to 'inspect the windows'... Not that I want to worry you or anything, but keep an eye out.

As for general cold callers - On the phone or in person, if I have the time I will waste theirs, especially if they start talking in their shpiel without an invitation!
    I hate salespersons anyway and it's a despicable tactic, trying to coerce, badger or generally con me into buying something. I am the type who asks how much something is and immediately walks away if it's too much. If I want to hear about which product is the most wonderful thing ever, I will approach the shop staff myself.

"So... Double Glazing? I'm sorry my house doesn't have windows. Well, this obviously isn't my house, is it?".

"Save money on my mobile? But I don't have one... No, this is a landline. No, really, it's got a wire connecting it to the wall and everything. Well your records are obviously wrong. Can you SEE my phone? Are you sitting right here? Well then. Not a mobile".

"Personal injury? Why yes, I have... Oh, two car crashes and an impalement upon a reindeer. Well the second car crash actually killed me, but the reindeer hurt more. What? Yes it did. Well I obviously got better didn't I? I can't actually STAY dead, as I can't afford the burial plot. Hello?".

These days, the most I get is a bit of junk/spam and the calls with the automated voice on the other end... But NO-ONE knocks on my door to sell me a thing any more!!
    Last edited by g8ina; 21-01-2014 at 08:44 PM.

9. Received thanks from:

sammyc (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

Cold callers / people on the street / people at the house / whenever I want to cancel anything I use the same excuse: "Sorry, I'm emigrating to <insert random country>" - They can't really say anything else to you, can't try and sell you a different product or change your contract as you won't be in the country and "I'll be closing my bank account".

11. Received thanks from:

sammyc (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Luckily for me, they can hear me screaming "flip off" at them through the paper-thin windows in my front door.

Should consider getting those double glazed.. =]
    Last edited by virtuo; 21-01-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: swears

13. Received thanks from:

sammyc (21-01-2014)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

If that had happened to me, I would have assumed that they were trying to rob me. Parking on the drive, checking whether anybody's in, and hanging about long after it's clear there's nobody there?

It doesn't sound like that was what they were doing, but it would've been my immediate assumption. As you say, not what you would expect from a big company.

15. Received thanks from:

sammyc (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Well there's no guarantee they *are* from this big company - I'm assuming you found out when you read the leaflet, OP? Quite likely, if they're going door-to-door casing places, leaving leaflets is a clever way to avoid arousing suspicion among neighbours.

It's plausible, but annoyingly I also sound like one of those fraud/spam/scare-tactic emails that do the rounds every so often!

Thanks
    • cookie365's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H87M Plus
      • CPU:
      • i3 4340
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX 4Gb
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung SSD 840 EVO + Seagate 1TB + WD Green 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Whatever comes with the i3
      • PSU:
      • bequiet StraightPower 600
      • Case:
      • Aquacool Dead Silence
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Rectangular
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Either

• a nicked van with false plates ("bought for cash from a bloke in a pub, haven't got round to repainting/insuring it yet. Stolen? Oh my goodness!" if stopped by the busys), or
    • they genuinely work for the company, but have decided to a bit of burgling on the side using the legitimate company van as cover

18. Received thanks from:

sammyc (21-01-2014)

Thanks

Sorry to damp down the escalating theories of dodginess, but I'm erring on the side of bona fide but a bit cheeky/persistent.

I have the info they left with head office, names, contact details, rep's name etc, yes it could all be bogus I suppose but doubtful (though I won't be ringing to check, as that is what they would like & it's not good use of my time & money tbh). It's not a high crime area and they didn't look like they were 'casing', that would have come across I think, just hanging about, and with most of his time spent talking loudly on the phone when snooping would presumably be more use.

If it was an appointment they felt they had, then theoretically you'd expect them to have taken contact numbers from 'me' at the arranging stage and be trying those.. and if a call to some sort of higher-up didn't yield any, or unearth the fact they were at the wrong address, they'd have wrapped it up quicker maybe? I'm going with, 'last call before winding up for the evening & so may as well wait a bit & hope to raise someone' - but only a theory. No repeat this evening anyway.

All interesting contributions thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    Luckily for me, they can hear me screaming "flip off" at them through the paper-thin windows in my front door.

Should consider getting those double glazed.. =]
    I like it

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
    ..... and they didn't look like they were 'casing', that would have come across I think, just hanging about, and with most of his time spent talking loudly on the phone when snooping would presumably be more use.

But that's the thing .... the best way to do something you shouldn't is to look like you belong. It WAY reduces the odds of neighbours being suspicious, and gives you a cover story if challenged, be it by homeowners, or police.

I mean, you're probably right and they're legit, but if they're not, the best way to be naughty is to ge bold as brass, and look like you belong. You certainly don't want to creep, sneak and skulk, or police probably will be called. One good method, for instance, might be a clipboard, a few business cards identifying yourself as an estate agent, and walk about taking notes, and snapping pictures. If challenged, you got the wrong house number, or street name, or the office "messed up", etc.

Thanks

We don't get many cold callers around these parts. Double glazing isn't a priority in a house that isn't built to last more than 20 years.

One thing I have had is monitored alarm companies coming by and trying to sell service. Now I am a naturally paranoid person, but I worry more about having people know when I am or am not in my house than I would be about having a monitored alarm. More so if I had family. Stuff is insured, but people in a call centre knowing when kids are home alone? I think not.

Of course living next to the Sheriff and across the road from a city police officer, I consider this a pretty good neighbourhood. Naturally I'm armed when I answer the door, but who isn't?

Thanks

I used to dodge cold-callers but I've discovered a much more satisfying way of dealing with them. I answer the door and ask them everything under the sun about their products before switching to one of my own 'topics'. The satisfying bit comes when you see them trying to ease their way out of the conversation ("well, it was very nice speaking to you sir but we have to move one...") whereupon I follow them down the path still engaging them in anything that crosses my mind.

Ok, I know you have to put time into this but I swear it has reduced the number of callers. In fact, I'm looking forward to my next visitor which hasn't been for a while now. My aim is to be chatting to a double-glazing salesman when a broadband adviser turns up so that we can all have a big pow-wow in the street.

None of this helps you though sammy as clearly the blokes that called to see you are hitmen.

23. Received thanks from:

sammyc (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    Naturally I'm armed when I answer the door, but who isn't?
    *raises hand...*

It could be Martians in disguise, looking for new bodies to take over and inhabit...
    Better make sure your tinfoil hat is in order, so they can't control your brain...!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information