Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I always cycle as if some people are trying to kill me

Thanks

Re: I always cycle as if some people are trying to kill me

Fom what I recall driving in London, Cyclists were the biggest problem, followed by buses. It was a mystery to me why anyone would think they reduced congestion.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    The biggest cause of death is junctions, normally due to people turning across a cyclist, or a cyclist not obeying control signals.

Because of that, the safest way to take a junction is in the middle of the road, however it is often dangerous to be sandwiched between, as most cycles have about a 4 second stopping time. My car, un-surprisingly can stop a hell of a lot faster than my bicycle.
    I think perhaps we are discussing this with different parts of the video in mind. I would also go to the centre of the lane for a junction/roundabout for sure.

This is often because some motorists prevent others from having nice things, on Thursday I had a taxi with this same MGIF attitude. It was very annoying, I had to slam on my breaks so he could overtake me. Interestingly, according to my GPS, I was breaking the speed limit by 2mph. Anyway, big queue of traffic, I end up ahead of him due to the ASL. I could hear his engine, saw it was him, I immediately started cycling in the middle of the road. I had either two choices, one, start going really slow, so I'd always be behind him, which isn't as safe as, being infront of him. To enforce that I'm in the middle of the road. Interestingly, this is how you are meant to ride anyway. You shouldn't be in the gutter because if you have a big bad pothole the useless drivers aren't expecting you to have to avoid it.
    You definitely shouldnt be in the gutter, you should be a few feet in for sure. When i say allow room for overtaking im not saying put yourself at risk, i take issue when people ride right out in the middle of the road to deliberately block the overtake because they want to take the law and control into their own hands. You can be a safe distance from the gutter and yet leave enough room for a sensible overtake when the road widens/other lane in clear. In this case its two riders going side by side, which i find incredibly selfish and thoughtless.

The problem is it becomes incredibly easy to behave badly due to other drivers, on a big, easy roundabout, I had someone not give way (it was my right of way, as I was on the roundabout) making me skid to a stop. He then proceeded to yell at me, saying I shouldn't be on the roads, at the queue on the lights. I just can't fathom how I inconvenienced him any different than if I was a car.
    You have to remember such events aren't limited to car vs cyclist. He might have picked on you because you were on a bike and somewhat of an easy target in a position of 1T metal power, but actually the reality is he probably would have been an equal level of douche in an altercation with another driver where he was at fault.
    You yourself have pointed out the distinction that cyclists are just traffic, and seeing them as different doesn't help, so don't assume anything else in these kind of occurrences.

3. Received thanks from:

mikerr (10-03-2014)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Leaving aside the 'Public Information Film' aspect I thought the comment about buses was revealing, although I am sceptical about the editing or how much was set up for that bit.
    I do not beleive a second of that, I think it is more of top gears anti-public transport stance.

In the years, the tens of thousands of miles I've cycled in London, often in bus lanes, I feel I've seen enough to comment. Most buses are just fine. They aren't in a rush. They are just doing their route. Clocking out 5 min earlier makes no difference. However the black cabs. These guys are desperate to get their fare. They will U turn across the road without checking for cyclists or just make you break anyway. Then you get the drivers, in my experiance, it's people who are driving 5 to 10 year old premium brand cars who are the worst offenders. These are the people who have champaign tastes but only lemonade money, often with a feel of entitlement to the road. Interestingly, these are the people I find the most likely to be troublesome when driving a car or a van in London too.

However, I did nearly piss myself laughing at the learn the bloody difference bit.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    You definitely shouldnt be in the gutter, you should be a few feet in for sure. When i say allow room for overtaking im not saying put yourself at risk, i take issue when people ride right out in the middle of the road to deliberately block the overtake because they want to take the law and control into their own hands. You can be a safe distance from the gutter and yet leave enough room for a sensible overtake when the road widens/other lane in clear. In this case its two riders going side by side, which i find incredibly selfish and thoughtless.
    Not really. Some people if I cycle on a 1.5 with road, away from the manhole covers and wire trenches which have created a stream of potholes, they will try to squeeze past and over take, even if there is no room. It is safer for me to ride slap bang in the middle. Which, let's not forget is the recommendations when there are pot holes.

My point is a lot of people feel the need to do that all the time because of bad experiences with motorists. Ironically, I think the ones who get worked up about this, are the emotional/aggressive drivers who probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    You have to remember such events aren't limited to car vs cyclist. He might have picked on you because you were on a bike and somewhat of an easy target in a position of 1T metal power, but actually the reality is he probably would have been an equal level of douche in an altercation with another driver where he was at fault.
    You yourself have pointed out the distinction that cyclists are just traffic, and seeing them as different doesn't help, so don't assume anything else in these kind of occurrences.
    There is a slight difference, if I was in my car, I'd have a danger of getting airbag powder out of my hair. On the bicycle I've got no protection, I feel vulnerable, it makes you wonder if someone is being serious about making a threat against your life.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

I am a commuter and don't own a car, and hold firmly to the belief that if you hit me while driving, I get a massive pay out from your insurance company and you'll get a few points on your license which will royally annoy you come renewal time.

Win Win, subject to my survival of course. Otherwise I will haunt the crap out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Zebra crossing: Not a single one in my town (Crawley) outside supermarket parking places. Can't have those important motorists having to slow down.
    There's a Zebra crossing by Three Bridges station. I know this because I was walking along it and was pushed to the floor by another pedestrian moments before a car drove past at 40.

That closer inspection allowed me to confirm, yes this is definitely a zebra crossing and not just accidentally placed coincidentally similar white lines on a black road.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    There's a Zebra crossing by Three Bridges station. I know this because I was walking along it and was pushed to the floor by another pedestrian moments before a car drove past at 40.

That closer inspection allowed me to confirm, yes this is definitely a zebra crossing and not just accidentally placed coincidentally similar white lines on a black road.
    Have to say I have never seen it. I though there might be something along the Maidenbower road (the one which follows the tracks) but I can't find one there either in Streetview or aerial view.

Anyway, my general point was that what passes for planning around here does not care about anything besides motorists. But what they fail to appreciate is that every time that they give more space or priority to cars (think most traffic lights here have been re-programmed over the last year so that pedestrians get even less time and have to wait longer), that space gets filled up by yet more cars driving yet faster and more aggressively.

But until a society is willing to face up to the problem of cars in cities and win the cities back for people, nothing is going to get done. And the UK is very much in thrall to the car. Plus aside from Ireland I don't think any other European country has so many roundabouts or such a high percentage of goods transported by lorries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    Fom what I recall driving in London, Cyclists were the biggest problem, followed by buses. It was a mystery to me why anyone would think they reduced congestion.
    Not a mystery to me. Holland used cycling as a way to deal with traffic congestion. Cycling is widely seen as a 21st century solution for urban traffic.

Thanks

When they stop going through red lights, I'll stop running them down! When you're more surprised by a cyclist STOPPING at a red light, than "SNEAKING" through a red light then they'll get my sympathy!
    Just remembered a Post here, about 3 or 4 years ago.. A cyclist that shouted "Get Out Of My Way Cos I'm Not Stopping!" killed a girl on a Zebra crossing.. Got a £3000 fine (his Bike cost £8000), and there were Cyclists here defending him (she was "Jaywalking" !!!)
    Last edited by KBeee; 07-03-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    When they stop going through red lights, I'll stop running them down! When you're more surprised by a cyclist STOPPING at a red light, than "SNEAKING" through a red light then they'll get my sympathy!
    If when cycling you "sneak" through a red light it drives motorists nuts because you're breaking the law. If when cycling you stop at a red light it drives motorists nuts because when the lights change you're in their way.

I like both methods of driving motorists nuts. I also like pedalling slowly, riding erratically, with bright flashing purposefully aimed lights, and fiddling with parts of my bike in a nonchalant way. It drives motorists nuts.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    I am a commuter and don't own a car, and hold firmly to the belief that if you hit me while driving, I get a massive pay out from your insurance company and you'll get a few points on your license which will royally annoy you come renewal time.

Win Win, subject to my survival of course. Otherwise I will haunt the crap out of you.
    Knowing you're in the right would be rather cold comfort if you never walk again or live in constant pain. You can have serious and life-altering injuries from being hit by a car. All that compo money doesn't go that far if you have to have your house fitted out for a wheelchair either.

Cyclists largely don't bother me, though I'd prefer it if they didn't run red lights all the time as it's dangerous. Also some folk need to have a think about the aim of their super bright LED front lights - pointing them directly at motorists faces might get you noticed, but that's not much use if they're so dazzled they hit you.

Other cars' behaviour around cyclists is typically much more scary though, there are quite a few people who will overtake a bike anywhere regardless of oncoming traffic or other hazards (typically the same people who flash you if you overtake them safely). I've only had a couple of near misses with cyclists in total, but I have at around one a month with crazy car drivers overtaking them in the summer.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

The only way to avoid problems like this, is to have extensive cycle paths everywhere like in the Netherlands. I for one would certainly use them if I got a bike, less stress for drivers and cyclists.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    The only way to avoid problems like this, is to have extensive cycle paths everywhere like in the Netherlands. I for one would certainly use them if I got a bike, less stress for drivers and cyclists.
    I'd like to think that cars and cycles can use the same road network, but it is an uneasy coexistence. Bikes have a poor top speed and acceleration, but make steady progress and aren't blocked by obstacles. Cars have good top speed but bikes blocking the road inflict their weak spot (top speed) on every vehicles behind. Especially as (unofficially) bikes are allowed to filter but cars aren't.

Thanks

Another favourite of mine is cycle lanes. Cycle lanes are those bits of red/green painted randomly by local councils as lip service to 'their package of environmental measures'.

Invariably, before traffic lights especially, there will be a queue of cars blocking the cycle lane because they either don't want you to pass them (it will be a pita having to pass you minutes later) or they are just pig ignorant.

However, motorists judge road space poorly and it is always possible to squeeze up their nearside in a one leg on the pavement hopping-style movement. This jerky and unstable practise may bring your bike into contact with a car which wouldn't happen if they kept off the cycle lane in the first place.

The manoeuvre is more effective if you have previously removed the rubber on the end of your handlebars.

Always behave apologetically and suggest a repair can be carried out under the vehicle insurance policy subject to the terms of their damage excess; mention that you don't have insurance for your bike. Or road tax. Or an MOT. Giving these details is the friendly thing to do as it shows all us highway users are in it together.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    Another favourite of mine is cycle lanes. Cycle lanes are those bits of red/green painted randomly by local councils as lip service to 'their package of environmental measures'.

Invariably, before traffic lights especially, there will be a queue of cars blocking the cycle lane because they either don't want you to pass them (it will be a pita having to pass you minutes later) or they are just pig ignorant.

However, motorists judge road space poorly and it is always possible to squeeze up their nearside in a one leg on the pavement hopping-style movement. This jerky and unstable practise may bring your bike into contact with a car which wouldn't happen if they kept off the cycle lane in the first place.

The manoeuvre is more effective if you have previously removed the rubber on the end of your handlebars.

Always behave apologetically and suggest a repair can be carried out under the vehicle insurance policy subject to the terms of their damage excess; mention that you don't have insurance for your bike. Or road tax. Or an MOT. Giving these details is the friendly thing to do as it shows all us highway users are in it together.
    Strictly speaking you are liable and they can sue you personally for the damage (since you lack 3rd party liability insurance). Whether or not they can track you down to do this is another matter mind, but it's certainly not a risk free strategy. If they could persuade a court it was deliberate you could be facing a criminal damage charge too.

Also no one has road tax, as it's not existed since the 30s. Cars have car tax (AKA VED).

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

Well, cycle season is nearly upon us again, already the early crop are out. I usually end up having to pass half a dozen on my drive to work, other than some stupid lights or lack of lights I generally have no problem with the cyclists. What I do have a problem with is coming round a corner on a narrow road and finding a car my side of the road becuase they are overtaking a cyclist! I don't understand why people have this compulsion to overtake a cyclist immediatly. I would say that they wouldn't overtake a car in the same place, but I had one car that overtook me and the cycle less than 10 yards from a blind right hand corner because they couldn't cope with following the bike for 30 seconds.

I wonder if some of this is because there is nothing in our driving test about dealing with cyclists specifically or overtaking in general.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Strictly speaking you are liable and they can sue you personally for the damage (since you lack 3rd party liability insurance). Whether or not they can track you down to do this is another matter mind, but it's certainly not a risk free strategy. If they could persuade a court it was deliberate you could be facing a criminal damage charge too.
    Haha, yes you're right. I will hand over my real name and address like a good boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Also no one has road tax, as it's not existed since the 30s. Cars have car tax (AKA VED).
    Well I never. Did I use an apostrophe in an inappropriate manner too? Road tax is still a pretty much understood term don't you think? Gawd.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information